Sign in to follow this  
roostingu

Arrowhead Pinnacles Ride

I must say this was a difficult ride for me,but overall a it was a memoriable experience. thanks

for a great ride. I will try to post some video, but in the meantime it off to the parts store

Here are some of the first posted pix, mostly from Devils Hole. :D

The group at the staging area.

100_0754.jpg

View of the desert below, right before White Mountain Pass.

100_0759.jpg

Looking for duct tape. JB Weld is mixed on a rock with a stick.

100_0763.jpg

Here is Mickey taking Bailey across Devils Hole for me. I most certainly would have given both the bike and myself a bath if I attempted the crossing.

100_0767.jpg

Mickey and company rescuing Bailey the KLX from having to take a bath. DigDug found the creek so pleasant, he gave himself a bath after he crossed on his bike.

100_0773.jpg

Papaalex testing the waters or the other way around. Mickey assists.

100_0779.jpg

and chugging across.

100_0782.jpg

The longer your legs were and the bigger you were, the less likely it was for problems to occur.

100_0784.jpg

Big KTM churning through. Orangeblood at the helm.

100_0785.jpg

Joliet brought his TE through without so much churning. The log in the photo washed down during winter storm runoff and blocked much of the line that was used last year.

100_0788.jpg

Thanks to Bikeslut and Mickey for their assistance in the spots that were too tough for me. 50.95 miles total and I don't know how I managed to still have both levers and all my turnsignals on the bike at the end of it all.

I must say this was a difficult ride for me,but overall a it was a memoriable experience. thanks

for a great ride. I will try to post some video, but in the meantime it off to the parts store

Pretty assume stuff huh? Welcome to CA. :D I love that loop.

Now sign up for the Big Bear Run on June 21st........the loop you guys (and gal) rode was hard way sections 5 & 6 on the BBTR Big Bear Run last year.....out of 7 total hard way sections......now you can understand why only a handful earn "A" loop plaques......the hardway loop is usually ~150+ miles.....that's a lot of ground to cover in a day with a bunch of other players thrown in the mix.....

cool pics, wish I couldve come.

Did you guys have to ride the rest of the day with wet boots?

The stream crossing was after 8 hours of trail time...

Most of us were pretty ready for a cool bath any way...it was about a half hour from the end of the day.

Hey everyone!!!

Thanks for coming. Mickey and I had a great ride with a great group of riders!!!

I hope I didn't "shut up and ride" you guys too much, but I know how long that loop can take with a group of that size - ya gotta keep it moving because there will be holdups...

Sorry I haven't posted any of my pics yet, we got in late last night and didn't even unload the bikes. Unloaded the bikes today and the wife wanted to take a ride in the boat. Well, the boat hasn't been used in a few months, so we spent the day charging batteries, cleaning crud, etc, etc, etc... I'll have to download the pictures tonight and try and get some of them up tomorrow. Sheesh - I gotta get back to work so I can rest up from the weekend!!! :D

Thanks again everyone for a great time in the mountains on a beautiful day!!!

Thanks Doug, for leading a great trip that made for a fantastic and safe ride for everyone.

ORANGEBLOOD

p.s. I have some photos but have no idea how you post them.

My favorite parts of the ride were our first stretches of singletrack leading out and going up Dishpan Springs road and finally the singletrack that led back to Deep Creek at the end of the day. That singletrack is the singleiest stretch of trail out there and is so narrow you could never meet up with a quad out on it. Not crazy about the crossing at Devils Hole, but I figure that's the price you gotta pay to enjoy the rest of the trail. The Hole is always a great photo op though, and a good place to wade in and cool off. A bad place to fall over and get water in your engine, however.

My least favorite parts of the ride were when I had my front brake lock up on me and cause me to crash. After I discovered what was making the bike handle so poorly and bled the front brake I had no real excuse for the amount of times I stalled and fell over out on the trail, but did that alot on White Mountain pass and managed to get poked in the eye with a branch as I slid out of control, on foot next to my bike, down the steep loose rocks on this one stretch. There were only three stretches of the trail I had problems with, one uphill and two downhill, but it consumed alot of time and held up the ride. I don't seem to have too much stamina for technical stuff at 7 or 8 thousand feet of elevation while experiencing the joys of oxygen deprivation, and will always appreciate how simple and easy a trail like West Kernan actually is from now on.

For the amount of times I hit the rocks, my KLX came out remarkably unscathed. We got back to the staging area about 7 pm and I didn't make it home until after 9. Didn't bother to try to save fuel in the jeep on the way back. If traffic was going 90,(and sometimes it was) so did I.

Nice group of people. I thought everybody rode well(except me, on White Mountain). I realized too far into it, that I should have bypassed White Mountain pass. But, at least I know for next time and I do know the bypass route.

Alright, time for some pictures!!! :D

Getting ready at the staging area:

img1107ji0.jpg

Blasting along the trail:

img1111yg7.jpg

img1115tm1.jpg

Strega working his bike up an obstacle:

img1120on2.jpg

More riders working up the steps:

img1121dh6.jpg

Joliet:

img1124sh6.jpg

More riders, same location:

img1126nj9.jpg

dirt dame, followed by bikeslut, going up the waterfall at Dishpan Springs:

img1127st1.jpg

More waterfall climbing pictures:

img1134sp9.jpg

Joliet taking the hard line:

img1136mi8.jpg

and not faring too well on it:

img1137kk8.jpg

Strega zips by to rub salt into the wound:

img1138dc3.jpg

More riders:

img1141dy5.jpg

img1142kx9.jpg

img1145km4.jpg

We zipped up the road to the Crab Flats campground for a little rest and re-hydration:

img1146ib1.jpg

From there we did that easy group / hard group split. I led the hardways riders over Redonda Ridge (AKA the Honda trail, AKA the Malcom Smith trail) here's a shot at the first sharp switchback:

img1151sr3.jpg

Rest at the top of one of the climbs:

img1158eb7.jpg

One of the many rocky climbs:

img1174zs4.jpg

Not too many pictures from that trail, but I have a quite few short video clips that I need to splice together and post.

We emerged from the trail after about 1 hour 40 minutes to find the easy ways group relaxing in the shade. From there up to Big Pine Flats campground for some more rest and re-hydration:

img1181of9.jpg

We headed up to the overlook:

img1183xi6.jpg

Great views up on the mountain, although we were wishing some of the snow you can see in the background were a little closer. It was a warm day of riding:

img1184ax4.jpg

Riders on White Mountain:

img1186uf1.jpg

img1189jo3.jpg

img1191lo0.jpg

Playing with the digital zoom on my camera. Here's bikeslut (aka Mr Sweep Rider):

img1193hx4.jpg

After clearing the rocks of White Mountain, we hurried down the fire roads to the single track leading to Devil's Hole. The cool water was a welcome sight. Here's some shots of the crossing (I've got some video that I need to splice and post of the crossing):

img1197aq4.jpg

bikeslut on the boulders immediately after the crossing:

img1202ez3.jpg

img1203tm1.jpg

Strega getting wet:

img1205kr2.jpg

img1209uj5.jpg

and cleaning off his boots:

img1211dy4.jpg

Me cleaning off my entire body. That felt good!!!

coolingoffmh2.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for a great Saturday ride!

Now, who's going to do the Big Bear Fun Run on June 21/22 and try and tackle the hardways with me?

Thanks Doug, for leading a great trip that made for a fantastic and safe ride for everyone.

ORANGEBOOD

p.s. I have some photos but have no idea how you post them.

If you want to zip them up and email them to me, I'll host them for you.

stregalicious@gmail.com

Thanks Doug for putting together a great ride, thanks others for a company. Papa could do better and would, if it was not that hot. I always drop it in that stupid creek. Now, lets ride some other sections from BBDR next Saturday.

papa.

Nice to finally meet ya Alex, and the others on the trip. Hope to see you all again on a ride soon.

It was a beautiful day for riding. Nice to see a few new faces in the crowd. I had a good time even if I was having a bit of an off day. I went down a couple of times before we got to Redondo ridge and I opted for the easy route around it. My goals were to see if my leg was healed enough to ride, and not to re-injure it.

I would like to thank my Husky for making me look good (most of the time) even when I picked the most ridiculous lines imaginable. I took 6 weeks off from riding to heal up, and I swear I had to learn how to ride all over again. The company was great, can’t wait to get out and do it again. :D Ken

Most of us were pretty ready for a cool bath any way...it was about a half hour from the end of the day.

50.95 MILES AND MORE THAN 8 HRS?????? Am I missing something?

A comfy chair and a restaurant on top of the mountain were the only things I missed. :D:D:lol::lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I didnt catch that, but you and I could do it in 2 hours AT AN EASY PACE ;):D I HAD FUN LAST TIME I DID THE LOOP BUT FELT WE SHOULD HAVE DONE 2 LAPS. IN 5 HOURS. :lol::lol::D

I didnt catch that, but you and I could do it in 2 hours AT AN EASY PACE :D:lol:

I think we rode that loop in ~3-4 hours when we went last August......but that also includes ~45 minutes for DigDug to gather himself/remember his name/count his teeth after Hammer.....well......."hammered him" :lol: .......Hammer also needed to deal with a pinch flat up front so that took some time :D ......there was only one slippery climb that gave a few of us (me) trouble......too his credit, Hammer made that climb with ease on his bike AND Mickey's bike ;) .....I fell over :D ....and we certainly didn't have to deal with the volume of water last August that you folks encountered this Spring....

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I didnt catch that, but you and I could do it in 2 hours AT AN EASY PACE :D:lol:

I think we rode that loop in ~3-4 hours when we went last August......but that also includes ~45 minutes for DigDug to gather himself/remember his name/count his teeth after Hammer.....well......."hammered him" :lol: .......Hammer also needed to deal with a pinch flat up front so that took some time :D ......there was only one slippery climb that gave a few of us (me) trouble......too his credit, Hammer made that climb with ease on his bike AND Mickey's bike B) .....I fell over :D ....and we certainly didn't have to deal with the volume of water last August that you folks encountered this Spring....

Are you trying to say I couldnt do the loop in 2. Come ride some much harder trails with me, BRO. I will pre reserve the HELI for you. So remember to bring your GPS. and your American Express because they dont take Visa. :D;)

Craig AKA,. the HAMMER! :D:D

Thanks Crawdad I read the post from August were I wanted to go back and ride the loop twice. :D

Thanks Crawdad I read the post from August were I wanted to go back and ride the loop twice. ;)

And you also changed your opening remarks in that post.......today.......Hammer, you're such a ham :D

Dude, I paid you a compliment saying you rode right up the hill that most of us splatted on.....I have no doubt you could probably ride it in 2+ hours (if no targets were out in front of you :lol::lol: ).....and I've ridden the Vista "stuff" so you can save all the bad ass hype.....I agree, pretty knarly terrain......

Water is warming up so Fat Daddy will be out surfing with you soon.....call me when it's 68+ degrees and 3-4' at Turn Arounds......Daddy's preferred conditions/lunchtime surf spot......I know, I know.......I'm a wimp cuz I don't wanna surf 20' plus waves........whatever man :D:D