Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerin Hammon

Lake Arrowhead with Dig Dug

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Thanks to all who rode today.This ride was one long fire road , darn easy at any pace ,tooooooo much dust, Thanks for leading us Dig Dug

I loved that loop. Thanks for leading us Dig Dug

Ditto That! B):D:D Those trails were the :P

Sean and I had a great time riding new trails with new friends - Hammer, DigDug, and Mohawk Boy (DigDug Jr.) :D

Hammer captured it pretty well - the ride had a bit of everything. The loop was ~50 miles with very few "snoozer sections".....fun single track coupled with a surprisingly challenging/fun jeep road......sad to say I didn't make it up Hardway Hill when we went across Redondo Ridge......that kinda ticked me off cuz it's not THAT difficult.....just loose and slippery......got hung up on a middle step......should've just ridden up the rocks rather than sloshing around in the loose stuff (Hammer reinforced that belief when he took Mikey's bike back down and rode back up right past me flailing around with my bike off to the left....he took the middle (correct) line up the rocks).....I made it up eventually :D ....slightly winded and a bit embarrassed but hey, whatever, I had a blast :P .......then we went down another narrow/cliffside single track hanging our left cheeks off the bikes to hug the hill while traversing down to Devil's Hole :PB) .....then we bounced around and across the stream.....fun day followed by a cold "B" at the staging area :D Sweet! :o:D

Doug/Mickey - Thanks for sharing one of your favorite loops with me, Sean and Hammer.

Doug, hope the knee is Ok this morning after being "Hammered" :o (Doug or Hammer can elaborate on that).....Hammer, forgot to snag my Motion Pro spoon back from you after you changed out your front tube....maybe we'll meet/exchange it over at Turnarounds one day?....

Mimi - Doug was not only our leader but also our ride photographer so I'll defer to him for your photo request....

Okay... Now that I've limped to my computer (more on that later), downloaded and resized the pictures, I'll throw in my writeup...

Great ride guys!!! Thanks for tagging along!!! It's always better when the company is good.

Since I posted this ride so late (Sorry - it was kind of a last minute thing), we didn't expect too many takers. At the Park-N-Ride, there was 5 of us: Me, Mickey (my son), Hammerin Hammon, Crawdaddy, and Crawdad's friend Sean. We loaded up and headed out just about on time. 1 hour 45 minutes later we arrived at the Pinnacles Staging area, unloaded and geared up:

We took off, this time opting for some single track to start out with instead of the fire-roads we did last time up there. I think Crawdaddy's words in the ride posting were "Bring it" - so we did. We were riding way to fast on the roller-coaster like trails to stop for pictures - sorry. The single track dropped us out at the beginning of the Dispan Springs trail. Here's a few of the group going up the waterfall:

Sean winding his way up the side:

Mickey in the same spot(check out that mohawk):

Crawdaddy making it look easy(check out that snazzy helmet):

From there, we headed to Crab Flats CG for a break, snack, and a top off of the camelbacks. After conferring, everyone was headed for the hardway (Redonda Ridge). Strong group of riders, I could tell it wouldn't be too much trouble.

Here's Crawdaddy winding his way down into the valley at the start of the trail(along with Mickey's green mohawk in the bottom left corner):

img0887nu9.jpg

Hammer hauling along on the trail:

We made pretty good time. Had a few stalls, drops, etc. The pace slowed down a little when we got to THE HILL ("Hearttack Hill" was what Brett Called it last time I think). Here, Mickey takes a dirt snack with Crawdaddy and Sean waiting below. Take a look at the photos from the last trip ( http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1241 ), you'll see lots of bikes on the ground at the same spots:

Mickey gets going again:

And down again (Alex, does this shot look familiar?):

Sean has a go while Mickey's picking up his bike:

Sean helping the bike along a little:

img0900wl6.jpg

Crawdaddy did a little picking up of his own:

At this point, Mickey was getting a little tired so Hammer offered to ride his bike up the hill. He graciously accepted. I think Hammer enjoyed the hill so much he wanted to do it again(better bookmark this shot - Hammer's riding something besides a Honda!!!):

Mickey takes the hard line so Crawdaddy zips by to the right - not wanting to stop and lose his momentum:

Getting going again:

Sean working the rocky section:

Crawdaddy manhandling the bike:

Crawdaddy exiting the Redonda Ridge trail. You can almost see the look of relief on his face:

Those 8 miles took us 1 hour 25 minutes. Not too bad for stopping a few times to help with bikes over obstacles, etc.

From there, after a couple minutes break - we headed off. Up to the overlook then west over White Mountain. It had been a year or so since I'd been on that trail, so I wasn't sure of the conditions. It was good stuff. Lots of loose fist-sized rocks, making you work. One of those trails where you have to steer with your weight instead of your handlebars. Here's Sean, reaching the saddle:

And working his way down the loose, rocky downhill:

We got to the bottom and blasted out on the forest roads that lead us down into Devil's Hole. All was going well, we were all happy to get the speeds up a little and rest our bodies from maunuvering the bikes over rocks, etc. I was leading and as I looked ahead, I saw a sharp right hand turn with a dropoff to the left. Having visions of sliding straight off the edge, I slowed for the corner when WHAM!!!! Hammer nailed me. He had gotten a front flat just prior and when he tried to swerve, the bike wouldn't. Add that to the fact that his throttle had stuck and you have mess of bikes and riders. Me on the bottom, my bike on top of me, Hammer's bike on top of it, and Hammer on top of his bike. The others caught up and started picking up the stack. My right leg hurt pretty bad and I was afraid it was broken at first. As the shock wore off, I realized I had just twisted my knee and ankle. I got up to walk it off and realized it was all stable (even though it hurt pretty bad) and decided I could ride out on it. Today, though, it's pretty stiff. My knee and leg feel pretty good, what hurts is my ankle. No swelling - It'll probably be better by the weekend - I hope!!!

Here's Hammer fixing his flat (this guy carries soap for changing tires in the field - seriously hardcore!!!):

And the trailside fix for his brake lever (How did that work out?):

Off we went again. We hit the sweet single track down into Devil's Hole. Here's the group working their way across the stream:

Cool parking spot for my bike at the boulder field, while I go back to help the rest cross:

From there, it was more fire roads back to the staging area. The general concensus was that we'd had enough and everyone decided to pack up and skip more riding.

Here's the GPS track on garmin topo maps from the loop:

And the elevation profile:

Thanks for coming along!!! I had a blast and I hope you guys enjoyed the day in the mountains. I think it was a total of 47 miles for the loop. Not bad for a day of riding. I think that loop would be a bit harder if we did it in reverse (you'd have to climb White Mountain, and a few of the looser, steeper sections on Redonda Ridge). I think that's going to have to be next on the agenda for the Arrowhead rides!!!

Edited by dirt dame

Looked like fun, but I already know it is from last time. I was really wanting to go and had the green slug washed and prepped after the days dez ride, but was pretty contented with our Jacumba adventure and decided I would sleep in and finish overhauling the carb bank on my street bike that I started working on a couple of days ago. I kept thinking about you guys up there funnin' around and will try to make the next ride there if I don't have to work (or sleep in :D ) I know Heart Attack hill has a reservation waiting for me and sooner or later I have to go up it, even if I have to radio for vessel assist. :DB):D

Nice write-up, wish I could have been there. Sounds like you guys had fun. Those are some great trails up there. What were the temps like? It is probably closer for me to go Arrowhead than Jacumba to ride, But it is all good B) . Ken

I think that loop would be a bit harder if we did it in reverse (you'd have to climb White Mountain, and a few of the looser, steeper sections on Redonda Ridge). I think that's going to have to be next on the agenda for the Arrowhead rides!!!

Sounds good......."Bring It" (again) :DB):D

Looks like it was a lot of fun - sorry I missed it.

I have another Dr. appointment on the 20th and I'm hoping he'll give me the unconditional all clear this time. He had said light riding and no hard 50 mile rides yet, but the shoulder's been feeling pretty good and I thought I would give it a whirl has I have most of the strength back.

But then I tweeked my back Friday night and had to wuss out anyway B)

Did go out to spend an hour on the trials bike Sunday and that turned out to be enough, so it's a good thing I backed out (pun intended :D )

I'm looking forward to the next shot at it and hope to join the group then.

Looks like it was a lot of fun - sorry I missed it.

I have another Dr. appointment on the 20th and I'm hoping he'll give me the unconditional all clear this time. He had said light riding and no hard 50 mile rides yet, but the shoulder's been feeling pretty good and I thought I would give it a whirl has I have most of the strength back.

But then I tweeked my back Friday night and had to wuss out anyway :D

Did go out to spend an hour on the trials bike Sunday and that turned out to be enough, so it's a good thing I backed out (pun intended :D )

I'm looking forward to the next shot at it and hope to join the group then.

Better safe than sorry--- Isn't that what they say? I guess so...

We'll be going again!!! I'll post it up here and see if we get any more takers.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Anyone want to ride the loop both ways in one day (faster pace, no stoppping. no pictures) Bring it, Moto Bro Step 63, Schwinn, Bike Slut,anyone else that is an acomplished rider.

Hey Hammer - nice snake bite on that tube. :D Hitting the rocks a little hard? On the BBTR ride, I got two of those - ended my day early since I only had one spare front tube (I had a spare rear, but it fared okay). I'm paranoid now when I ride up there and sacrifice a little traction with higher pressures in order to keep my tubes in tact.

Any damage to the rim? I've got a nice little flat spot to show for mine...

Hey Hammer - nice snake bite on that tube. :good: Hitting the rocks a little hard? On the BBTR ride, I got two of those - ended my day early since I only had one spare front tube (I had a spare rear, but it fared okay). I'm paranoid now when I ride up there and sacrifice a little traction with higher pressures in order to keep my tubes in tact.

Any damage to the rim? I've got a nice little flat spot to show for mine...

:P WHY NOT CARRY 2 FRONT TUBES? THEY WORK ON THE REAR IF NEEDED AND ARE SMALLER TO CARY. I ALSO CARRY A PATCH KIT, THE LAST MEXICO RIDE WE WENT ON WE HAD 3 FLAT IN THE FIRST 50 MILES AND THE GOT 3 MORE FLATS BEFORE THE END OF THE 380 MILE WEEKEND, WE HAD TO PATCH THE TUBES WE HAD OR RIDE A LONG WAYS WITH FLATS. WISH I COULD HAVE MADE THE RIDE YOU GUYS WENT ON BUT I WENT TO OCOTILLO WELLS FOR A NIGHT RIDE. WENT ABOUT 130 MILES BY 5:30AM GOOD FUN, I'LL CATCH A RIDE WITH YOU GUYS NEXT MONTH.

Anyone want to ride the loop both ways in one day (faster pace, no stoppping. no pictures) Bring it, Moto Bro Step 63, Schwinn, Bike Slut,anyone else that is an acomplished rider.

Uh... you got bad information... don't let my screen name fool ya...

just like sluts don't make the best lovers, bikesluts don't make the best riders... but you did get a pretty good group of riders there...