Ride-Orange

OC Dualies Pediatric Charity Ride

Thanks to Kaw'ee and Crawdaddy for originally posting this in another thread. I figured this charity event is well deserverd of it's own press...

It would be cool to have a small group of SDAR going on this ride. I think we are alerady about 4 or so riders strong, so anybody else can chime-in as you see fit. I'm planning to make it a day trip and hang around for dinner. I have room for 4 riders and bikes to trailer up (leaving SD at 0-dark:30 Saturday)

Here's the link for sign-up:

http://www.dualies.com/html/dualie_charity_ride.html

Post here or PM me if you want to buddy-up.

As of today, I would like to join der ride. Have wanted to do this ride for several years. Will mail in forms and plan to go. :D

Expect PM.

My donation is sent, Anyone going to join me/us on this ride???

It too is limited to 75 riders. <_<

Im in and think joilet willbe joining me, we both downloaded this morning and will be mailing in today,will be driving from escondido, have room for myself + 3. if anyone is interested.

I just mailed mine, looks like the beginning of an epic adventure. Lets see how many SDAR riders we can get on this ride. If the OC Dualie guys knew us better, they might have put a disclaimer in the ride description limiting the number, or banning SDAR members all together. <_<;);)

Aaron,

If you need me to pick up your bike for you I'll try to be there. I'm not sure yet but I'm going to try and work it out.

Jon

It too is limited to 75 riders. :D

I've been a member of the Dualies for the last 5 years.....nice group of guys........send those entries in (I wouldn't worry about the head count......I can neither confirm nor deny that there may have been more riders than 75 last year :P )

This ride is a perfect intro for any Newbies/Lurkers out there that haven't ridden in a while ........why?........ because unfortunately the Beaumont fire knocked out a lot of the trail system......so the easy way route this year is pretty easy due to the fact that much of the area is closed off at the moment......The Easy way is suitable for all riders and travels along fire roads with 60 miles to the first gas and 97 miles to lunch (the only "trail" section on the easy ways route this year is just after the first gas)......after lunch the section is a quick 30 miles home.........but don't fret, the No WIMPS Hero loop on the Hard ways section will kick your ass (if you want the pain) since it contains Baustista Trail and Hixon Trail amongst others.....and EVERYONE (who's not riding a big/heavy pig of a bike) should consider taking on the short/tight/single track hardway on the roll chart (Section 10) just short of Idyllwild and right before you stop for lunch.....VERY fun/tricky section of single track trail.....the Hard way is 65 miles to the first gas & 113 miles to lunch with "challenging" sections (you have the option of passing on the Hero loop after the first gas to cut ~60 miles out of the ride)

Anyway, my point is.......this ride has it all and it's right in our back yard.......the easy ways will accomodate all riders and yet there's still enough challenging stuff to test the most accomplished of riders.......most importantly, it's all for a good cause - to raise cash for the pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation....

So go for it......do it.....do it now :D

More info on the route to follow as the event nears :D

Aaron,

If you need me to pick up your bike for you I'll try to be there. I'm not sure yet but I'm going to try and work it out.

Jon

Well, my shoulder is where it should be and the busted ribs should (better) be good to go by then so hopefuly I wont need any help lifting the pig off my mangled body this ride. Thanks for lookin out though :D:D

Anytime buddy, I'm always glad to help out when I can.

Jon

A few of us "Dualies" froze our tails off on Sunday in the rain/snow "proofing" the O.C. Dualies charity ride route to get the roll charts dialed in for the organized/charity ride next month.....the rolls charts were a bit off and we annotated the corrections (though it's hard to write on a roll chart that's soaking wet and ripping in half!).....the GPS tracks saved the day.........would've missed a few turns if we were relying on roll charts only..........but hey, it was a blast despite the weather.....that's why they call it "adventure" riding....we made it up to Idyllwild and around the "Hero" loop to the second gas in Hemet but didn't feel like riding back up to Idyllwild again through the rain/sleet/snow at ~4pm....may return to proof the remainder of the loop if time/schedules allow....

Gil snapped a few photos (I only took one picture.....my fingers were too soaked/cold to bother and the visibility wasn't very good up in the snow) :unsure:

Beaumont/Idyllwild ride

Man, you guys are animals, i thought we were cold cuz of a little hale and a tiny bit of snow, glad i stayed local, I am doing the charity ride tough so THANK YOU in advance for your hard work.

It would be cool to have a small group of SDAR going on this ride. I think we are alerady about 4 or so riders strong, so anybody else can chime-in as you see fit. I'm planning to make it a day trip and hang around for dinner. I have room for 4 riders and bikes to trailer up (leaving SD at 0-dark:30 Saturday)

Here's the link for sign-up:

http://www.dualies.com/html/dualie_charity_ride.html

Post here or PM me if you want to buddy-up.

I rode the loop again yesterday and finished up my edits to the roll chart. It would be great to have a good turn out of SDAR riders show up for this ride (and support a good cause at the same time).

A few (more) words about this year's loop:

Most importantly - START EARLY!!! - 7am latest - THIS WILL BE A LONG DAY EVEN IF YOU ONLY RIDE THE EASY WAYS ON THE HERO LOOP. :D:crazy:http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/fool.gif Don't plan on finishing before ~5pm.

Track 2 on the GPS (Easy and Hard) is really long so the points are widespread.......don't expect it to track exactly against the roll chart all the time

The Easy Ways are EASY for bikes of ANY size and riders of ANY skill level (with the exception of ~1 mile of single track trail off Thomas Mtn Rd. which was thrown in to liven things up). My friend Fred (Snaildarter is his SDAR Handle) rode the whole easy way loop yesterday on his pig (GS 1150) inclusive of that single track section. So NO WHINERS! http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ok.gif

The first Hard Way is Section 3 and I'd recommend it vs. Section 3 Easy.....fun/swooping banked turns, etc. and much more interesting than riding ~13 miles on HWY 243 - so take it unless you need a breather or get a late start and need to make up some time. ;)

Don't be a WIMP after you reach Idyllwild for the first time - gas & go quickly and ride the Hero Loop (with or without the hard sections) because Thomas Mtn Rd., the short/fun single track off Thomas Mtn Rd., and Hardway 10 "hidden single track" are NOT to be missed - FUN!!!. :D Then relax and grab a burger/fries at JoAnn's before heading back down to Beaumont (~30 miles)

That being said, the Bautista trail (Hardways Section 7) is VERY hard and NOT a good idea on BIG adventure bikes. It's likely to be backed up with riders struggling to make it up the steep/rocky steps on any size bike.....so if you take that ~10 mile Hard Way combo of Bautista and Hixon Trails (Section 7 Hard) you're going to be adding a minimum of 1 hour+ to the loop and you're likely to be frustrated by the pile-ups of riders in front of you - I recommend blowing by it and coming back to take on that challenge another day when you won't have a whole slew of riders behind you or in front of you since this is already a pretty long day/ride (just my $.02).

Hard Way Section 10 is a MUST for the non pig-ish bikes (650cc and under)......if you're apprehensive about trying a Hard Ways section or only have time for one hardway section - "this is the one" - FUN/tight single track......bigger bikes be warned - this section is basically a single track mtn bike trail with very tight turns/rocky sections so I wouldn't advise it for the bigger "adventure" type bikes....

The last Hard Way section (12) is a reverse of the first hardway so the down hill you rode in the morning now becomes an uphill challenge.....or relax and make up some time by blowing down Hwy 243.......

Have fun!! :D

(FYI - I won't be at the organized ride - my folks are in town that weekend....)

Yes - if the pig can make the easy way then all you folks with lighter singles should have no problem.

I only wallowed in the mud a couple of times, once due to tired target fixation in a roadside ditch full of runoff water, and then on the short uphill forested section Chris metioned in his writeup.

I have to say for my first SD area ride it was very fun, and after six months of not riding (due to work commuting from the PNW) it was good to get back on the bike.

My only two cents are - dress in or bring lots of layers. There is almost 4000 ft of elevation change and being that close in to the moutains they can make their own weather. Yesterday was beautiful riding conditions, until after lunch when the rain and fog dropped in on us. Within a half hour it went from sunny and warm to cold and wet. Made me feel right at home - just like riding in Oregon 9 months of the year - and thankful for the heated grips on the pig.

Do the ride - you'll have a blast.

Yes - if the pig can make the easy way then all you folks with lighter singles should have no problem.

Do the ride - you'll have a blast.

Documented evidence that Pigs can fly! (down trails):

A few Beaumont 2 Idyllwild scouting photos

Nice pics, Have any of the section 7 hard B)B) ?

Nice pics, Have any of the section 7 hard B)B) ?

I don't have any pics from our ride......but I was able to find something even better.....an excellent write up/photos on Thumper talk (see link below).....one key point to remember......the guys in these photos rode UP Hixon and DOWN Bautista (the Dualies followed that same route in 06) then they turned around and rode UP Bautista and Down Hixon (as you'll be doing on the 07 route this year).......the second half of the ride is what beat them up because UP Bautista and DOWN Hixon is generally regarded as the harder direction.....get the picture? Any other questions on why this section may be jammed up with riders on game day? B) ....Still think ya want it? B) Then go get it! B):DB)

Hixon/Bautista (Allesandro) trails report/photos from Thumper Talk

Nice pics, Have any of the section 7 hard :):) ?

I don't have any pics from our ride......but I was able to find something even better.....an excellent write up/photos on Thumper talk (see link below).....one key point to remember......the guys in these photos rode UP Hixon and DOWN Bautista (the Dualies followed that same route in 06) then they turned around and rode UP Bautista and Down Hixon (as you'll be doing on the 07 route this year).......the second half of the ride is what beat them up because UP Bautista and DOWN Hixon is generally regarded as the harder direction.....get the picture? Any other questions on why this section may be jammed up with riders on game day? :o ....Still think ya want it? :) Then go get it! :blink::D:lol:

Hixon/Bautista (Allesandro) trails report/photos from Thumper Talk

I needed that adjustment. NICE TRAILS!! :D I totally want to ride it, but will take your advice and do it another day. I can picture bikes everwhere stuck not wanting to go back. I will take 7 easy, Thanks. :):good:

My bad, my wife just informed me that this is the same weekend as her best friends son's wedding. She has been planning this for 6 months. I knew it was comming up, just didn't know which weekend. So I am out for the weekend. You guys will have to take lots of pics so I can see what I missed. Ken

whos all going on this ride, i have room for myself and 3 more in my truck leaving escondido early am.

whos all going on this ride, i have room for myself and 3 more in my truck leaving escondido early am.

Wish I could go but have to hang with the parents/kids that weekend.....which is one reason I volunteered to create the roll chart for the organized ride....

Leave EARLY from Escondido.......you really want to be checked in & rolling away on your bike from the Beaumont cycle shop no later than 7am.......this will be a long day even if you blow off the "no wimps" hardway section.....and A LOT OF FUN!!!

Remember that the Allesandro/Hixon Hard Way (Section 7 Hard) will add ~1.5-2 hours since it'll likely be choked with riders trying to climb Allesandro.....regardless, DO NOT bypass Hardway Section 10 (tight/fun/short single track).....

Our group is dwindling. :clapping:

I still plan on truckin it up. Plan to leave odark30 and be up there at 0600 to gearup, some carbs and caffeine. May be the last ride for a month or so. Lots of classes coming up on weekends. :wacko: :clapping: :wacko: :clapping: :blink:

Riding buddies??

Our group is dwindling. ;)

I still plan on truckin it up. Plan to leave odark30 and be up there at 0600 to gearup, some carbs and caffeine. May be the last ride for a month or so. Lots of classes coming up on weekends. :blink::unsure::blink::wacko: :tease:

Riding buddies??

Of course,I want to represent our club. The more the merrier.

Looking for riding buddies for this Sat. Would like to ride with you guys from SDAR if possible. Plan on driving up there from Encinitas. Would prefer to ride at a moderate speed and not race all day. I probably will avoid section 7 this trip. If this sounds like something your doing let me know how to find you. Thanks, Ron

PS What time is 0dark30

Would prefer to ride at a moderate speed and not race all day. I probably will avoid section 7 this trip. If this sounds like something your doing let me know how to find you. Thanks, Ron

PS What time is 0dark30

Hey ron, odark30 for me is 0330-0345 to get up there at 6am. PM me for my cell so we can get together up there. Parking is at the elementry school a block away. That is where I will be, Green Dodge, Red Honda.

7 hard is out by the advice of crawdaddy. I plan to ride conservative with some blast, power runs. :D:D

I will wait for you to catch up. :D