mediaguy

Dual Sport Ride to benefit Stewards of the Sierra NF (update)

OK, the ride is a go! July 10/11. Bass Lake area, spectacular riding and scenery and for a good cause: Supporting the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest in their fight to keep trails open. Includes a SOTSNF T-shirt and a great Sat. night catered BBQ.

See attached flyer.

For questions please call Larry at 559 877-4514 or dualies@yahoo.com.

Flyer will also be posted on the Stewards website at www.sotsnf.org soon.

Note: 2nd page typo error: Should read: "$50 of your donation is tax deductible".

2_Day_Dual_Sport_Ride_flyer.pdf

OK, the ride is a go! July 10/11. Bass Lake area, spectacular riding and scenery and for a good cause: Supporting the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest in their fight to keep trails open. Includes a SOTSNF T-shirt and a great Sat. night catered BBQ.

See attached flyer.

For questions please call Larry at 559 877-4514 or dualies@yahoo.com.

Flyer will also be posted on the Stewards website at www.sotsnf.org soon.

Folks, this is the best of the best in terms of terrain and worthy causes.........if you can swing it......do it!

This sounds real good but I'm not sure my FMF powercore will meet the 96 db or not, I could always put the stocker back. Chris or anyone else know who has a sound meter? I hate to drive that far and DQed.

I'm up for this..anyone else thinking of it? carpool?

(no worries if you want to ride fast, you don't have to ride with me, I know I travel a more leisurely pace, like to take in the scenery, have no crashes, etc...)

This sounds real good but I'm not sure my FMF powercore will meet the 96 db or not, I could always put the stocker back. Chris or anyone else know who has a sound meter? I hate to drive that far and DQed.

We're not going to be testing so don't worry about it.

We're not going to be testing so don't worry about it.

[HIJACKING RANT]

(Sorry for this, but...)

Or throw the stocker on and leave it on! Loud exhausts are VERY detrimental to the sport! It's highly likely that loud pipes are responsible for the forest service closing down just over 2 miles of excellent trails up in Big Bear. See this thread: Silverwood Trail Changes

Greater than 96db? WOW! Those couple extra horsepower will mean nothing when we're left with nowhere to ride.

[/HIJACKING RANT]

OK, the ride is a go! July 10/11.

Larry - I'm going to try and figure out a way to make it even though my vacation time is TIGHT........might wind up with a Late Friday night arrival in Oakhurst and a Late Sunday night return to San Diego........we'll see.......I was planning on coming up in Sept when Jarrett comes home but he'll be on a limited timeline/leave from the Air Force and I have a feeling he'd rather spend a day with dad on the trails and 3 add'l days with his buddies than 4 days with dad on a road trip........so maybe I'll just take him up to Big Bear for a day when he comes home in Sept.......

For anyone on the fence.....look at this thread and the links therein.......it might just push you over :lol::lol:

I could probably swing this if I didn't tack on a the day on each side. Let me take a look at my calendar. I've been dying to ride that area.

I'm flexible: will go for a 2,3,or 4 day weekend...NEED a good ride on the calendar...can't wait as long as Mammoth in august....I'm willing to drive and trailer, tacoma can snugly fit 4, but gets good mileage...(well maybe not quite so good with 4, and trailer full of bikes. :lol: )

OK, the ride is a go! July 10/11.

Larry - I'm going to try and figure out a way to make it even though my vacation time is TIGHT........might wind up with a Late Friday night arrival in Oakhurst and a Late Sunday night return to San Diego........we'll see.......I was planning on coming up in Sept when Jarrett comes home but he'll be on a limited timeline/leave from the Air Force and I have a feeling he'd rather spend a day with dad on the trails and 3 add'l days with his buddies than 4 days with dad on a road trip........so maybe I'll just take him up to Big Bear for a day when he comes home in Sept.......

For anyone on the fence.....look at this thread and the links therein.......it might just push you over :lol::lol:

Hope you can make it! It'll be a long drive friday and sunday but it's well worth it! Lookin' forward to seeing you.

I'm seriously considering this. The 11th is my 50th birthday. My wife thinks my kids might be upset that I'm not around on my BD, but I can't think of a better way to enter into the second half of my life than on my motorcycle. It would be a long weekend. Mapquest shows an 8 hour drive from Yuma. Very tempting though given the pics that have been posted.

I'm seriously considering this. The 11th is my 50th birthday. My wife thinks my kids might be upset that I'm not around on my BD, but I can't think of a better way to enter into the second half of my life than on my motorcycle. It would be a long weekend. Mapquest shows an 8 hour drive from Yuma. Very tempting though given the pics that have been posted.

Hey Dad, what do you want for your birthday????????

I'm glad you asked!

Well I just spent my birthday AND mothers day away from my kids and skiing....We just celebrated the week before...no worries....they should be happy for you

Thanks for the heads up Mediaguy I'm working on getting a small band for together for this one. Doug I read your rant and I too don't like load pipes that is why I put the powercore on, it was the quietest add on advertised and youv'e ridden with me and Coopdog before. I've just never had it soundchecked.

Thanks for the heads up Mediaguy I'm working on getting a small band for together for this one. Doug I read your rant and I too don't like load pipes that is why I put the powercore on, it was the quietest add on advertised and youv'e ridden with me and Coopdog before. I've just never had it soundchecked.

Tom.. No problem.. and it's not personal. I just find it somewhat ironic that we're talking about a "keep the trails open" ride and not worrying about potentially loud pipes when that's a major factor in many of the complaints that cause closures. I was also a little pissy because I just witnessed quite a few miles of my favorite trails closed down up in Big Bear - one 2-plus mile section most likely due to noise complaints (I agree, it's bogus - those trails were probably there before the current homeowners - but unfortunately, local money talks).

I'm with you though. Desert season, who cares.. but up in the mountains, quiet is the key!

Looks like Crawdaddy twisted my arm (well actually he just invited me) and I'm on this ride now. Looking forward to seeing you guys up there!!!

:unsure:

Just got home from 5 days down in So Cal working the USGP and man the snow is melting fast. I'll probably take an ride up into the higher elevation this week to see just how much snow has melted. We have a lot of work to do with a lot of fallen trees down to clear the trails. Going to put the rack back on my XR650L so I can carry my chainsaw. Ah, the sounds of wood chips flyin'

Just got home from 5 days down in So Cal working the USGP and man the snow is melting fast. I'll probably take an ride up into the higher elevation this week to see just how much snow has melted. We have a lot of work to do with a lot of fallen trees down to clear the trails. Going to put the rack back on my XR650L so I can carry my chainsaw. Ah, the sounds of wood chips flyin'

See ya in a month Larry - I'm heading up with SDAR members DigDug (Doug Perucca), Joliet (Ken Boyd), Snaildarter (Fred Haas), Strega (Roger Sewell) and Gil Busick - We're staying over at Russ's place

My stock speedo/ODO are WAAAY off with a set of MT43 Trails Tires and 12/43 gearing……so I’ll probably throw the 12 O'Clock Labs Speedo/ODO Healer on my WR250R this weekend (it’s been sitting in may garage for 6 months)…… I’ll need an accurate/ “resettable” ODO for Big Bear and Bass Lake……time to correct the stock ODO and learn how to operate the stock instrument panel in "measurement mode" since I can only zero out the ODO on my GPS and I don't have a Trail Tech Endurance Computer on the girl bike......

Spent the Holiday weekend out in Bull Head City, AZ. and did a little of this…..

Oatman.jpg

…….and a lot of this in Lake Mojave/CO. river

BullheadCOve.jpg

I am Spartacus..........

spartacus.jpg

Since I AM one of your sons I give you permission. And to show you my support I'll be there with you to make sure you have a good time! B)

Quote from Larry on Facebook,

"More trail maintenance Jun 13

Man, the 150% of normal snowfall in the Sierra National Forest is taking it's time melting. We have a benefit ride for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest coming up July 10/11 and rode this past weekend to clear the trails. Two problems. Huge snow banks and steams much, much deeper than normal. All will be good in 4 weeks (we hope)"

Zip tie those vent lines high on the subframes, make sure you have a good grease seal on your air filter, and dieletric grease on connections.....Looks like we're gonna get wet/muddy.........DEEP water, snow, trees, mud, rocks, etc........all the makings of another awesome Bass Lake experience :):blink: ........

Zip tie those vent lines high on the subframes, make sure you have a good grease seal on your air filter, and dieletric grease on connections.....Looks like we're gonna get wet/muddy.........DEEP water, snow, trees, mud, rocks, etc........all the makings of another awesome Bass Lake experience :D:blink: ........

Like I said, we're gonna get wet......

Larry posted this video link on Facebook:

Hopefully in a month the snow will be all gone and the streams will drop down a bit. We had a good ride Sat/Sun working on the trails. Not to many trees down which was a surprise.

post-14110-1276567626.jpg

post-14110-1276567643.jpg

post-14110-1276567649.jpg

post-14110-1276567656.jpg

post-14110-1276567663.jpg

post-14110-1276567669.jpg

post-14110-1276567675.jpg

post-14110-1276567681.jpg

post-14110-1276567686.jpg

post-14110-1276567692.jpg

post-14110-1276567698.jpg

post-14110-1276567704.jpg

post-14110-1276567726.jpg

post-14110-1276567731.jpg

post-14110-1276567737.jpg

post-14110-1276567745_thumb.jpg

post-14110-1276567755_thumb.jpg

post-14110-1276567763_thumb.jpg

Nice pics....and nice having the little chainsaw packed along.

Great pics!! The snow I could do without...that last trek over Mt Logan East of Bar10 was not fun. Thanks for all the work you're doing up there clearing trails!!