I didn't go on Brad's Big Bear ride yesterday. Instead, Wayne and I had planned a completely separate ride that involved staring at a lot of locked gates (we eventually learned from a local that most of the gates wouldn't be open until Memorial Day). Observe two sad bikes:

post-1009-1274028746.jpg

After dropping down to Pioneer Town for lunch, we headed back up the mountain and was winding our way back around to our parking spot at Angelus Oaks. We stopped along the way so Wayne could try out the DRZ. When he returned from his brief test, we were sitting on the ground and staring at the DRZ. While I was trying to extoll the virtues of the Bloated Yet Luxurious Barge, a KTM goes by. We don't think much of it; we encountered many bikes and cars on the ride. Then another KTM goes by, but this one stops. It took me all of one second to recognize Papa Alex. Then, the rest of the guys pulled up:

post-1009-1274030254.jpg

It's not like Big Bear is the Wildomar area. It's kind of a big place. Yet there were the SDAR guys after their dose of rocky pr0n (the nastier, the better) crossing paths with us. It was cool in a warm and fuzzy way.

Here is Wayne telling Doug how the DRZ is the only bike anyone would ever need. :party:

post-1009-1274030637.jpg

Perhaps the boys will add their side of the story to this post. All I heard was something about some of the riders bailing out at some point, which made me extra glad I was doing a gentle world tour -- 160 miles, with a good amount of slab, which is, by the way, where the DRZ shines. :lol:;)

it is amazing how large the earth is, and yet how small the world can be at times...

nice post.

Perhaps the boys will add their side of the story to this post.

Sounds like a deal.. Since our rides crossed paths, we can throw it all into one thread.

Great day on the mountain! Thanks to Brad and Alex for putting it all together, and to everyone else for showing. It was a great group - everyone had great attitudes and seemed to enjoy the day. Perfect weather, no major accidents or incidents, just 80+ miles of fun at altitude.

We started off on the fun OHV trails right around Pinnacles - pretty much following the GPS track I put together a few years back. A few of the trails are now closed off however. The cool little valley just north of Lake Arrowhead and the climb back out (3W13) are now closed off. :angry: Probably because that area was burned a year or so ago and may have erosion. That was some fun riding though... I still have fond memories of slogging my BRP up that muddy, rutted hill. Ah well.. signs of the times.

Speaking of signs of the times - as we were gearing up, I turned around and saw a bunch of these guys:

img2699o.jpg

They were coming down the OHV trails on these side-by-sides... I thought they weren't allowed on cycle/quad trails because of their width, but a closer look at the signs shows that the forest service is now allowing them on certain trails.

img2700b.jpg

Just keep your heads on a swivel out there and watch out.. There's no room to get around them if you come head on with them. And they're sure to win! I suppose it won't be long before some of those trails are wide enough to allow Jeeps.

Anyways... Lots of riding on the OHV trails, not much picture taking. Here's one good one of the little stream crossing:

img2702w.jpg

Then up 3N34 (Deep Creek trail I think). We had a few bulldog moments, but everyone made it up and around the Jeeps, side-by-sides, and other bikes blocking our path. Busy weekend up there!

img2712o.jpg

img2715yi.jpg

img2720k.jpg

img2721e.jpg

And up to Crab Flats campground to rest and plan our next move.

img2724r.jpg

If anyone goes up there, both Crab Flats and Big Pine Flats are open, but the water is not potable. I usually look forward to filling my CamelBak there, but not this time around. Not sure if it'll be good later on or not.. but plan accordingly.

We split into two groups - A group doing Redonda Ridge, B group doing the fire-roads up to Big Pine flats

Alex on Redonda Ridge:

img2725s.jpg

Little bit of water on the normally very shallow (or even dry) crossing. Kind of neat to see this much water here - made me wonder about Devil's Hole for sure!

img2726r.jpg

img2727bo.jpg

Climbing up the first ridge out of the crossing, we came upon this guy:

img2728d.jpg

He had come down one of the switchbacks in the opposite direction from us and got deflected off the trail. Every time he tried to pick the bike up, it slid further down. His buddy was turning around and coming back to help as we pulled out the tow strap and helped him get his bike back up on the trail. Here they are heading down the trail:

img2729ij.jpg

No major problems. Redonda Ridge is in the best shape I've ever seen it in (aka - easiest). Many of the rocks have been moved and there's still good traction. That'll probably change as the summer takes its toll on the trail.

Here's a few more pictures of Redonda:

img2730m.jpg

img2733gl.jpg

img2735r.jpg

img2737i.jpg

img2741f.jpg

img2742n.jpg

img2744.jpg

img2747i.jpg

We met up with the B team at Big Pine Flats and hung out for a bit. Had a lunch-type snack and planned our options. We had run into some guys along Redonda that said they did Devil's Hole a few weeks ago and turned around. It's the highest they've seen it - and the single track leading down needs some work too. We decided that we had had enough of the painful fun for the day and wanted to do some exploring, so we headed up to the overlook just north of the campground:

img2752q.jpg

We poked around on a few of the fire roads, hitting a dead end or two, but generally enjoying the day

img2754ac.jpg

img2755v.jpg

We even hit a few spots of this white stuff.. None that stopped us though:

img2756.jpg

From there, we decided to head into town to top off our waters and tanks. Lots of nice fast fire-roads and no pictures. Great scenery and cool air up at altitude.

Back on to the fire roads and down to Big Pine Flat CG. We again decided to split into two groups.. Brad wanted a rematch with Redonda Ridge but in the opposite direction, so we headed off. Avoiding a few riders on the first nasty hill climb, we were on our way. Making good time riding in the easier direction. The trail was empty after the first hill climb - beautiful afternoon to have it all to ourselves. I think we stopped maybe once, and that was just for a few seconds. 36 minutes later, we were back with the group at the southern end. Thanks for talking me into riding RR backwards Brad - fun ride and a great pace!

From there, back down 3N34 - easier going down the obstacles. And out the fire roads. The water crossing a mile or so short of the staging area was pretty deep.

img2765z.jpg

Most found the right hand side shallow crossing...

img2766p.jpg

...but baldbeemer decided to take it head on!

img2767e.jpg

In all, it was a great day! Thanks to everyone for coming out. I'm looking forward to the next time up there.

img2775t.jpg

Man, I wish I was on that ride. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Great writeups and pics, Zina and Doug! Many THANKS Doug for leading the ride, to Spaugh and Alex for putting it together, to Beemer for the car pooling and thanks to everyone for a GREAT ride! That was cool to meet up with Zina and Wayne.

Here are a few of the photos that I took.

This is the exit from the first set of obstacles.

post-4114-1274075324_thumb.jpg

Random shot of the riders at a stop.

post-4114-1274075402_thumb.jpg

What we came upon. We told him, Don't ride like Pasta!

post-4114-1274075577_thumb.jpg

Spaugh.

post-4114-1274075761_thumb.jpg

At the water and fuel stop in Big Bear.

post-4114-1274075620_thumb.jpg

:angry::blink:

post-4114-1274075698_thumb.jpg

The Yellow Submarine.

post-4114-1274075496_thumb.jpg

Doug,

Nice photo representation of Redonda Ridge. That last big drop at the northeast end did look loose and long as we descended. A different type of climb compared to the rocky climbs from the southwest. I can see how the guy would be forced off the trail on those 180degree turns. Need to practice whipping the rear around to make those angles.

Great photos and report......we have a few weekends to run another day trip up there before the BBTR event.

I saw one or two of you on your way up there as I was on my way to Anza to play around Bee Canyon, Idylwild etc......lots of traffic up there as the O.C. Duallies were having a ride in the area.

Ready for Big Bear! :angry::blink:

Fantastic pics and writing, 2 awsome pics- the yellow sub of baldbeemer- DUDE thats deep! and the other pic of spaugh I believe floating the front wheel coming up the hill at redonda.

Many thanks to Doug, Brad, Alan, Clayton, and Alex for helping me through some of the tougher sections and giving me tips on how to attack the obstacles. I had a gret day and even though I dropped the bike a "Few" times, I am very glad that I went on this ride.

......even though I dropped the bike a "Few" times, I am very glad that I went on this ride.....

That's the spirit! :angry:

Fantastic write up. We all appreciate it.

Water crossing would be a good website dual sport photo.

Great report. Im not going to lie Im jealous. My mom lives in Yuca Valley and I always wondered if you can get up there from pioneer town, so I guess you can. :blink:

AMAZING!! Feel terrible that I couldn't make the ride, but at least I can drool through the the photos.

A few of the trails are now closed off however. The cool little valley just north of Lake Arrowhead and the climb back out (3W13) are now closed off. :scare: Probably because that area was burned a year or so ago and may have erosion. That was some fun riding though... I still have fond memories of slogging my BRP up that muddy, rutted hill. Ah well.. signs of the times.

Here's a ThumperTalk thread with a little more info on the trail closures. Looks like the homeowners with deep pockets won again! :ph34r:

Silverwood trail changes - ThumperTalk Community

Well boys (and girls), looks like we lost another good one... :lol:

A few of the trails are now closed off however. The cool little valley just north of Lake Arrowhead and the climb back out (3W13) are now closed off. :scare: Probably because that area was burned a year or so ago and may have erosion. That was some fun riding though... I still have fond memories of slogging my BRP up that muddy, rutted hill. Ah well.. signs of the times.

Here's a ThumperTalk thread with a little more info on the trail closures. Looks like the homeowners with deep pockets won again! :ph34r:

Silverwood trail changes - ThumperTalk Community

Well boys (and girls), looks like we lost another good one... :lol:

The interesting part is that the trails weren't signed closed (only barricaded) and the most current map still shows it as a legal trail.. Anyone want to go 'open' it up again?