Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

New meaning given to phrase, "Stick in the Mud"

Ride Report Teaser............

Only a fool would look up totally oblivious to the ladder sticking out of the ground and then try to cross the seemingly dry mud pit within ~5 feet of the ladder :crazy: (I'm pretty sure it has more than 3 rungs on it :ph34r: ) ……..I swear I didn’t even notice it on my approach :blink: ………or the tow straps laying on the other side of the pit :huh: .......but I was able to really understand the "depth" of my dilemma once I was standing near that ladder up to the top of my boots :o .......in fairness to my dumb self, by the time I saw what I was heading into it was too late.....too much speed to do anything but apply MORE throttle (the usual remedy).......braking to a stop on approach wasn't really feasible........I might've impaled myself on the ladder :)

See far left track......yep, that was my dumbass approach........more info/pics to follow later.......this pic was taken after walking(?) around in the area and disturbing the tranquil scene that I saw on my approach (just looked like gray/caked/HARD mud.....oh, and there was a ladder sticking out of it too......I sorta overlooked that important point on my approach B) )……but I soon found out that the gray/caked/HARD mud was actually nothing more than a thin mineral layer on top of a muddy mess........I was very lucky I didn't go over my handlebars.......

More pics from weekend to follow in trip reports....... ;):lol: ........oh well, that's why they call it "adventure" riding :)

stickinmud.jpg

Oh well....at least you didn't smoke your clutch.... :)

but I soon found out that the gray/caked/HARD mud was actually nothing more than a thin mineral layer on top of a muddy mess....

riding :)

stickinmud.jpg

You and the mastodons.

Doesn't look that bad. The ladder might only have 3 rungs.

We found the other half of the ladder laying horizontally a foot or so below the surface.......I did take some comfort in the knowledge that I wasn't the first/only dumbass to look up a bit too late........not sure what I was doing/thinking..........had Ron circle WAAAY around to get safely across stream......luckily I was able to radio back to him to STOP forward progress.......if we both went in we would've been screwed.......

This is what it looks like from above on Google Earth......you can see the path coming in from the left and the bike/truck eating mud pit/stream in the center of the photo:

BikeEatingMonster.jpg

You can also see the many trips I took back and forth to Ballarat on Ron's bike looking for help by checking out my SPOT page: http://www.CrawdadRacing.info (see SPOT #27.....1:13pm yesterday.......whoops)