TrophyHunter

The Otay to Campo Excursion

A small mob arrived at my house and off we went to meet FN and the remainder of the team. Southbound 125 was uneventful but we did wait behind a person who couldn't believe he just put in a 20 for a $4.50 toll....& it doesn't make change. He wouldn't move...he just kept reading the instructions over and over. Lesson learned.

10 riders headed off to the monument 250 road led by the Magellan of Riders, FakeName. There were water crossings, outstanding views and a fantastic little roadside Mexican food place in Campo. We slabbed it back which got a little cold for those of us who didn't bring a light jacket.

Met some new folks and had a great ride!

Otay002.jpg

Otay004.jpg

Otay005.jpg

Otay006.jpg

whoops...dinners ready...more later

More

Otay007.jpg

Otay011.jpg

Otay015.jpg

Otay016.jpg

Otay020.jpg

Otay021.jpg

Otay022.jpg

Otay023.jpg

Dan (and the rest of us) got a trailside lesson. Used the cool aluminum one legged stand...worked well! Thx to dsfox & all others for tools, baby powder, ...and stuff.

Otay026-1.jpg

Otay028-1.jpg

Otay029-1.jpg

Otay030-1.jpg

The choo choo tunnel.....Ah shades of part of our Tecate Mountain ride. Looks like it was a nice day from most of the pictures. :ph34r:

I'll let others write about it- it was a great ride, and great company. Thanks to all who came out to play!

monument250-2629.jpg

monument250-2631.jpg

monument250-2633.jpg

monument250-2634.jpg

monument250-2635.jpg

monument250-2636.jpg

monument250-2637.jpg

monument250-2638.jpg

monument250-2639.jpg

monument250-2640.jpg

monument250-2641.jpg

monument250-2642.jpg

monument250-2643.jpg

And a big thanks to Trophy for sweeping all day and keeping the group safe and together.

monument250-2644.jpg

looks like a good time, and of course nice pics :ph34r:

pretty deep water crossing always makes for a good time, and how i would so love to ride through that tunnel

You can see an overview of the route on www.whereisbowers.com for the next few days.

p

Whereisbowers...I was following you guys on my blackberry today- you guys put some miles on

Kudos to paul and ken for leading around the new guys

Kudos to the new guys for trusting paul and ken

Nice way to spend a day

Thank all of you for a great day!!! It was a blast, with good people. Thanks ken for the tube, Deb for the cool tools,powder and Paul for his knowledge.

Great ride guys! That water crossing weirded me out a little...good trails though, and NICE BIKES.

Thanks Fakename for showing us how much fun we can have in our backyard. It feels great not to truck my bike for a change.

BIG, BIG, THANKS to FAKENAME for Leading and TROPHYHUNTER for sweeping... :good: :declare: :friends: :clapping:

Some of us could seldom get out and enjoy this Incredible sport, if not for Leaders and Mentors like you :bb: We all appreciate it immensely!

Thanks for taking us along, teaching us, and being patient.....Not to mention the hours of entertainment, besides the riding!...I do regret However, by not being part of the radio team, I missed all of FAKENAMES singing today....maybe someday!......

It was a great day and awesome company as is the norm around this place.......The views down there are amazing...I Love all the space.....The tire changing lesson was a bonus and actually gave us some great fellowship time!..Ken, Paul and Dan got to use my new tools...thanks Socalhodaka! (everyone liked them)...though I probably couldn't tackle a tire alone, yet! nice to have new toys!.....The weather rocked....YES the water was refreshing...my biggest , deepest water crossing to date..mostly easy ride, nice pace.....

Only mishap for me was choosing a bad line over a wash out, and dumping the bike (only once today!)...landing on my right palm/thumb, leaving it weak and bruised the rest of the day, but it all worked out!...Thanks again.... Here are some pics..at various parts of the day, as folks peeled off, the numbers dwindled...

P1300107.jpg

P1300103.jpg

P1300108.jpg

P1300113.jpg

P1300111.jpg

P1300110.jpg

P1300109.jpg

P1300105.jpg

P1300100.jpg

P1300116.jpg

This was a fun trip and I wish I was able to do the whole trip, next time i will make it a priority! I learned a few things on this trip.

1. that there are some pretty cool cats on this forum.

2. epilepsy is a bitch (had to of been there)

3. KLR needs fork emulators

4. pack lite!

here are my few picks:

DSCN4903.jpg

DSCN4904.jpg

DSCN4905.jpg

DSCN4906.jpg

DSCN4907.jpg

DSCN4909.jpg

DSCN4910.jpg

DSCN4911.jpg

DSCN4912.jpg

DSCN4913.jpg

DSCN4914.jpg

DSCN4915.jpg

DSCN4916.jpg

my pretty mug after getting soaked, lol

DSCN4917.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun!!!

Do any of you guys have a GPS track you can post up? I saw the spot tracks but was looking for something a bit more detailed. I think I'm going to try this route tomorrow.

:clapping:

Thanks

.... and how i would so love to ride through that tunnel

All thoughts were that the other side was in Mexico but X-Man made a good point in contesting that. From the SPOT track, it shows in the good ol' US of A! Appears to (possibly) be a trail down the other side to a connector road which leads to where we ended up. Check footprint #27.

I'm goin' thru next time.

....and I checked the GPS...had the track log turned off ...aaargh. Sorry.

You cannot go off of exit 77 on the 8, down the s-2, or up the I-5 without the BP giving a full questioneer. Yes you were in the good old USA! Or wait - maybe you only get stopped in the US :declare: It is good to see all the new folks out there on this ride. I have never seen that cool bridge or that awesome switchback trail. Oh yeah - nice water crossing :good: I think that I want to ride with that fellow La Mesa rider with out o state plates? I need to start riding one group rides instead of last minute solos like last week.

059.jpg

Plaster City

056.jpg

In Ko Pa Exit 77 -- BP " I never saw a bike like that out here before" :friends:

Looking forward to the DD10 to meet some of you guys. If you see an out of place street bike in the dez say hi. :clapping: The KTM will be back together soon :bb:

All thoughts were that the other side was in Mexico but X-Man made a good point in contesting that. From the SPOT track, it shows in the good ol' US of A! Appears to (possibly) be a trail down the other side to a connector road which leads to where we ended up. Check footprint #27.

You're right!

Next time, it's through the tunnel.

You're right!

Next time, it's through the tunnel.

let me know when next time is??? this ride looked pretty cool although a long way from ramona but hey have bike will travel :clapping:

You cannot go off of exit 77 on the 8, down the s-2, or up the I-5 without the BP giving a full questioneer. Yes you were in the good old USA! Or wait - maybe you only get stopped in the US :declare: It is good to see all the new folks out there on this ride. I have never seen that cool bridge or that awesome switchback trail. Oh yeah - nice water crossing :good: I think that I want to ride with that fellow La Mesa rider with out o state plates? I need to start riding one group rides instead of last minute solos like last week.

059.jpg

Plaster City

056.jpg

In Ko Pa Exit 77 -- BP " I never saw a bike like that out here before" :friends:

Looking forward to the DD10 to meet some of you guys. If you see an out of place street bike in the dez say hi. :clapping: The KTM will be back together soon :bb:

paul, i am up for any ride when you are! i am still getting refamiliar with the local scene since i been away for almost a decade. was a grat ride even if i had to ditch early, i wanna do it again this week end, lol.

The north side of the railroad tunnel is in the United States. The south side is in Mexico.

The north side of the railroad tunnel is in the United States. The south side is in Mexico.

Thats what I've always been told, but looking at google maps it ain't so.

Huh.