Lucien

Pics from Yesterday's DS ride

This is my "artistic" shot of the elusive Lucien in the backcountry... :ph34r:

Posted Image

KIP led a fantastic group of enthusiastic riders. Nine folks showed up in Julian... KIP, Lucien, Boston Mangler, xr650l bum, Marbee40, bruceh, papaalex, sandiegoland, and stevos. The pace was brisk to put it mildly. I felt like gramps with a walker bringing up the rear!

We'll have to hear how the afternoon ride went. Marbee40, Boston Mangler and I headed back towards San Diego at 2:45pm to beat nightfall as the rest headed the backway to Borrego Springs (and beyond?).

=====

When you are playing catch-up like I was all day, this is the only kind of action photos you can get:

Posted Image

Anyone want to buy a trophy truck (or is this technically a pre-runner?):

Posted Image

More action we watched at Heart Attack Hill:

Posted Image

Posted Image

bruceh scooting away:

Posted Image

Boston Mangler living up to his... well, screen name:

Posted Image

Posted Image

=====

Well that's all I got this time! Hope everyone got back safe. Let's see those X-Rays Kevin!! :(

All,

GREAT ride! Colder 'n heck when I rolled out from Bonita. Therm said 35* and I believed it. Had on every warmy I could find, which ain't much considering most of my "good" stuff is already packed out to the Great White North. Thank the good Lord I had my balaclava. I also had to double-up on gloves which helped immensely. I rolled out at about 7:30 and took I-8 up to the Descanso turnoff. Made it to Julian at about 8:35 and grabbed hot coffee and a tasty breakfast whilst introducing myself to the yet unbroken Boston Mangler. (Yeah, his Bawstun accent is appearant). As I attempted to pay for my breakfast, the owner offered to buy it for me based on my military ID. I politely refused saying he had already done that two years ago for a buddy and I on a H-D ride. I explained that once was MORE than sufficient and that a man can't run his business giving out freebies! He laughed and agreed to take my cash. Needless to say, his cafe is always my FIRST stop. (Mom's pies ain't half bad, either).

Soon after the Mangler and I got aquainted, Sandiegoland showed up. Firm handshake and a very businesslike attitude! (Sorry, I tend to describe everyone I meet....) Also, very YELLOW riding gear! :D Right after that, Alex showed up and said "Do we have time? I need to unload my bike!" Now that I think about it, I was so wrapped up in my durn HOT coffee (and cold hands) that I didn't even offer to help. I DO recall thinking "Sheesh, bet he was WARM on his DRIVE up! :angry:". Just kidding, Alex, seriously, I should have helped!

Our planned departure got bumped to 9:30ish, which was great because it gave everyone a few minutes to get aquainted and prep bikes. My expectation for this ride was admittately low. I didn't expect more than a few bikes, and certainly not such a well rounded group. My past experience has been that when weather is rough, folks stay home. (It was cold enough that I almost stayed home!) Also, the group was made up of both intermediate and advanced riders. I use the term intermediate LOOSELY as I was usually far behind the pack, using the excuse that if I didn't stay behind, who would watch out for Sandiegoland! B)

Off we went, getting a taste of the asphalt portion of dual sporting. Gotta love a bike that has a foot of ground clearance....keeps the pegs from scraping tarmac in the corners! After a few short miles, we turned off and headed UPHILL. Uh oh....is this gonna be rough? No, it turned out to be a fairly clean old road that went on for miles. I was concerned about the rock and downhill sections. Usually pictures make a section look WORSE than it is in person, but Squeeze Rock and the one rough downhill weren't as bad as I thought. CHALLENGING, but not impossible. At both of these junctures, all riders stopped to assist and give advice. This worked out well as not everyone was 100% comfortable with the terrain. :o

After the two nasty obstacles, we meandered down Fish Creek into the Ocotillo Wells area. Stunning cliff's and fast sand wash riding. A few of us had minor spills, but were motoring along nicely until I came around the corner and saw BostonMangler sprawled in the rocks. UHOH! :unsure: That big old boulder jumped out and snagged front end, causing him to twist a wrist on the fall. Luckily it wasn't bad enough to warrant hitching a ride, but I did see him eyeballing a few bikes to see who hadn't removed the rearsets.

From there, we rode to Ocotillo Wells and had a great lunch. (Try the beans, they stick nicely). At that point, BostonMangler gave me my excuse to bow out as I had chores to do back home. I lamely offered "I'd hate to see him ride home alone with a bum wrist." and followed him with Sandiegoland back thru Ramona.

Had a great time and put 220miles on the odo. THANKS! Well led and good company. Look forward to riding again soon.

Another Awesome Ride and glad to meet some more fellow DSers

Since the others have done nice descriptions, i will keep it brief.

Big thanks to KIP for being a great trail leader and making sure each and every one of us made it safely through each obstacle, very well done!

Thanks to Sandiegoland (what the hell is your name anyway? :unsure: ) for being tailgunner.

Yes, it was a cold as a hookers heart in the AM, and i almost got blown over a few times on the 67, and contemplated turning back, but it was well worth it.

The ride was pretty challenging in parts and nice and fast in other parts, very good variety and i think we covered almost every type of riding possible! Someone needs to give me some lessons about sand riding, i was all over the place and obviously doing something wrong!

Now, about my crash, heres what happened:

I was searching for some "cool" excuse so i didnt look like such a dumbass, but unfortunately, i couldnt.

On the way out of Fish Creek i was just cruising along enjoying the scenary. I was paying a little TOO MUCH attention to one of the nice steep walls that we were riding in between and when i looked back in front of me (where i should have been looking), i saw a large rock smack dab in my path. I didnt have any time to try to avoid it. I slowed down as much as i could and then prepped myself to go over the bars. Luckily, there was enough reaction time, that i did a fairly clean leap over the bars and avoided getting hit by the bike.

However, i did launch pretty high into the air and landed smack dab on my left wrist and my right knee found a basketball size boulder to kiss. Both the wrist and knee are quite sore, but nothing even remotely serious. Paul and Jim were very helpful in making sure i took it easy getting up and such.

That was my first real crash on this bike and i am glad its over with with minimal damage. The right side footpeg is the only noticeable damage (so far).

Anyway, even with my body sore, i had a blast and cant wait to do it again!

Again, thanks to Marbee and Sandiegoland for slowing down for me on the ride home, that was one very painful ride i hope to never have to do again!

Next mod = TIRES!!! Posted Image

Next mod = TIRES!!!

I was thinking you might say that. Those stockers are probably better left on the streets and the fireroads. I have a similar set on my 640 that will soon give way to something a little more dirtable. Glad you are ok!

Lucien

Now, about my crash, heres what happened:

I was searching for some "cool" excuse so i didnt look like such a dumbass, but unfortunately, i couldnt.

However, i did launch pretty high into the air and smacked my right knee on a basketball size " TRUCK " the knee is quite sore, remotely serious.

That was my first real crash on this bike and i am glad its over with minimal damage.

Anyway, even with my body sore, i had a blast and cant wait to do it again!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN............ NO REALLY ' I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

...................WELLCOME TO THE CLUB.................................

........................Posted Image....

First off thanks go out to KIP for leading and setting up that ride! That's why I joined this club. Going on great rides, meeting great people, and learning. I wanted to go on a scenic ride, but quickly realized that was not going to happen.

It was neat coming up to the gas station and seeing all the bikes ready to go! People have described the first part of the ride. Totally enjoyed the rough terrain. Did not enjoy the "Drop Off". Did not think I would do stuff like that. Sometimes you got to say WTF! Peer pressure doesn't help the situation.

After lunch Lucien showed me how to stiffen the front suspension. Did that come in handy! Lots of deep sand all the way to Borrego. Short cruise on the road to Jasper trail. Wonderful trail and great contrast to what we had done earlier. Hit the road back Julian. That's when Lucien " Lucifer" taunted me relentlessly until I chased him up the mountain. Ridiculous speeds that should not be done on knobbies.

FANTASTIC! THANKS TO ALL!

post-199-1168363438_thumb.jpgpost-199-1168363485_thumb.jpgpost-199-1168363522_thumb.jpgpost-199-1168363555_thumb.jpgpost-199-1168363656_thumb.jpgpost-199-1168363695_thumb.jpgpost-199-1168363724_thumb.jpgpost-199-1168363761_thumb.jpgGreat ride Sun. Thanks for letting me "lurk" in your dust. I had a great time. A well led ride with a good group of riders. Im not sure about posting pics so here is my first try.

Thanks guys for joining me and posting a ride report. Next time I will bring my camera. Glad that everyone made it back safe and without any serious injuries. Good job to Lucien and the others that took the led and slowed the group when we encountered other trail users. Special thanks to Craig for running sweep. :unsure: