FakeName arrived at my place around 5:15 AM and we loaded his bike during a light sprinkle. DirtyAdventurer left his place at 4:30 and Todd posted an "out the door"....Hoss had a short drive from the OW compound.

It poured on the way out and looked like it might be a wet ride. The Pinion Trailhead was damp but it started clearing up as we unloaded. Not a drop of rain after that. Perfect weather, tons of traction, great riding partners....all good.

Hoss early in the ride.

RideDec122009001.jpg

DA drove all the way from Mission Viejo...."it was worth the drive"....

RideDec122009002.jpg

RideDec122009003.jpg

RideDec122009004.jpg

Did I mention there was traction?

RideDec122009005.jpg

RideDec122009006.jpg

RideDec122009007.jpg

RideDec122009008.jpg

RideDec122009009.jpg

RideDec122009014.jpg

RideDec122009016.jpg

RideDec122009018.jpg

RideDec122009019.jpg

The Pinion Trailhead was damp but started clearing up as we unloaded. Not a drop of rain after that. Perfect weather, tons of traction, great riding partners....all good.....

Sounds like conditions / riding partners could be summed up in one word - "Ideal" :unsure:

Looks like it was good fun and nice weather.................... B)

Wow, that's amazing! Awesome trails and scenery. Where is this? I HAVE to ride it...

Looks like a great time...The 4:30 and 5:00 AM arrival times do not.

Sounds like conditions / riding partners could be summed up in one word - "Ideal" B)

As were the tracks, thank you.

Again and again.

Thanks guys! that was one epic adventure......my butt is going to be sore for a day or two (damn stock seat)....but way worth it!

I did have the gopro on my helmet for the first time and had it set to take a pic every 5 seconds that I hit the button. If you want to see them.....click Here

quite a few but at least you wont get sea sick.

It took some decent pics while you were moving. Did it fill up the card or completely drain the battery on the every 5 seconds mode? I think that every 30 or 60 second mode on the Gopro HD is sounding even cooler after seeing that

You should try going here.

http://gickr.com/

and making them into an animated gif at least parts of it like a stop motion ride B)

Wil- I wasn't on the ride (dammit) but some of those trails àre included in the Desert Dash each year-

If you can swing it, it is always a good time.

Or buy an Anza Borrego trail map and find them on your own. Let us know when you are going; I'm always up for getting semi-lost-

Good ride report guys- Paul; exhibition of speed...act your age

Looks like a great ride. I know my last ride out there was for club bidness and not for recreation, but I still wish we'd had that kind of traction when we were out there last week.

The title of this post says it all. What a blast to enjoy ourselves like this so often.

See you on the next one.

Todd B)

B) I blew it not going on this ride, that`s what I get for being lazy this morning!!!!!

awesome ride report and pictures - i like the GoPro's picture taking abilities at time intervals - perfect composition too with helmet, bars, and fender in frame to give perspective, and not too much head space

don't know about others, but I like to ride that kind of scenic terrain slow, but 140 miles is a lot of riding in a single day - do u need a plate for that route?

OK, this out of towner REALLY needs to know where this is and when you're taking me? :unsure:

That's looking out from Fonts Point into the badlands. Easy to get to, too.

Neil Peart referred to those as the Shar Pei Hills of the Southern california desert...

That would be the view from one of the Borrego Badlands Viewpoints... Font's Point is one such, but that is over on the East side... this one looks to be facing NorthEast... but I could be totally wrong

TO EVERYONE THAT APPRECIATES THESE PICS>>> DO THE DESERT DASH... you'll see all this and more, with camraderie, some meals, a campsite with like minded folks, a little bit of support via tools and sweep riders, GPS downloads, T shirts, etc.

DO THE DESERT DASH... you will not regret it... search past reports of the Desert Dash

The view is from Font's. Kris....we were hopin' you'd show up too....always good company and another great riding partner!

Hoss...the GoPro is a great addition to my Christmas list.....prolly for next year tho...

....and if you wanna see someone manhandle an XR650R....ride with Hoss.....incredible.

As BS points out, if you haven't seen it......jump on the Desert Dash!

Yes.....plate needed.

Did it fill up the card or completely drain the battery on the every 5 seconds mode?

You should try going here.

http://gickr.com/

I had a 2gb card in the camera and not sure if it was filled up, batteries were still good.......forgot about the camera a few times that I had it on. (was too busy man handling the beast)

Thanks for the link.....not too sure if I am techy enough to make one of those......then again, I just figured out how to reply to a few different posts :)

don't know about others, but I like to ride that kind of scenic terrain slow, but 140 miles is a lot of riding in a single day - do u need a plate for that route?

We didn't take it too slow.....that's for sure. Yes you need a plate for the route and a special permit to ride around big puddles. (or at least really good at sweet talking)

OK, this out of towner REALLY needs to know where this is and when you're taking me? :unsure:

I could be convinced to go Christmas weekend.....I plan on heading out Christmas afternoon/evening for the weekend

Awesome conditions.

I left my house at 4:30 in the pouring rain. It was raining pretty hard the whole way out there, but we're heading to the desert, so it's going to stop soon..........right?

It stop sprinkling after I got geared up and ready to go at the Pinyon parking area.

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

Just look at the tracks in the moist sand. It doesn't get any better than this.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

I think we would have finished an hour earlier if we didn't stop here for lunch (and we only ordered burgers)

IMG_1746.jpg

Thanks Trophyhunter for putting out the invite and letting me tag along with the SDAR crew.

I need to get a ham radio so I can hear all of the smack that you guys were talking about my skilz. :unsure:

Anyway, what an awesome way to recharge the batteries for the work week.

Is it time for Crawdaddy's terrible ride yet?

DA drove all the way from Mission Viejo...."it was worth the drive"....

RideDec122009002.jpg

Yeah, definately worth the drive for the rare occasion that it rains in the southern california desert.

As you can see, I busted a turn signal and adjusted the license plate while taking a turn a little too fast amongst the sand and rocks.

RideDec122009019.jpg

My wife was looking over my shoulder as I was looking at this ride report and pointed out that I look like I am wearing a bra concealing a pair of Double Ds.

I guess that is permission enough for me to buy myself a new chest protector this Christmas. :unsure:

I guess that is permission enough for me to buy myself a new chest protector this Christmas. B)

....or at least some Krylon Fusion.....the first rattle can A cup around....

Did you guys include Inspiration Point or blow it off and head into Borrego Springs after Fonts Point? Inspiration Point to the Dump road can get a bit interesting/confusing/deep with sand.......wondering if the sand over that way was packed down by the rain and whether you had to ride in much, if any, water channels over there.....

I hit reserve immediately after Fonts, so we were hit the highway. Ran out of reserve just short of Borrego Springs, but was able to lean the bike way over and restart to get to the fuel stop.

Shame I didn't have a wr, I understand they can run all day on a thimbleful of fuel.

Couple of questions from a slo-old dude.

How much time in the saddle is needed for a ride like this.

How fast is the group riding?

Great Photos and write up for sure,

My bike is 100% dialed in, only problem is I,m not 100% of anything, and everytime i see a post like this, and photos of where you folks ride, All i want to do is head butt a fillet knife on my desk.

Easy answer- it varies.

We did ride a lot- our first rest stop was Font's Point, but that's because I was leading and am not much into stop-and-chats. At that point, we'd been riding for at least a couple hours. Our next actual rest stop was lunch at about 1- a 30 minute burger stop that took nearly 90 mins. Unfortunate service and not the best food, either.

We then hit it hard and fast until 330? 430?

Top speeds were on the pavement, probably 60 ish. The dirt speeds were from 1 to 50, depending on terrain.

Rides vary on pace- in this situation, we had 5 riders of similar abilities, and a small amount of really technical stuff, and 4 of 5 had radios. That combination allows for a solid ride like this. Radios keep the group together, and minimizes the confusion and re-routing when the leader fails his GPS abilities.

Other rides through similar terrain could be much longer and more leisurely- it depends largely on the group. If the ride progresses more slowly, then bail-outs are usually an option built into many rides.

There are riders would ride this route MUCH faster.

Oh- we had no breakdowns on bikes or riders.

I'd rate this ride (and participants chime in here) a 3 out of 5 for most riders- it was not terribly challenging, but we did maintain a brisk pace for long periods. But I didn't feel like we were anywhere near a race pace. I also didn't feel like we were sandbagging for a slow member at any point. Some riders were more prudent than others, especially on the pavement up Montezuma grade, but the difference betweent he lead and the sweep was rarely more than 60 seconds.