Sign in to follow this  
sandiegoland

New Years Day 2007

Carguy rode in from Campo, MikeyB and Sandiegoland met up with Bikeslut and Morgan and trailered out past the dip to meet up with more SDAR'ers (and Division 8 racers) including Ride-Orange and Tree for a 45 mile ride 'round and about Superstition Mountain on New Years morning.

p1010094e.jpg

12 strong!!!

=============

p1010083e.jpg

p1010090e.jpg
Our youngest SDAR - Introducing Morgan!!

p1010110e.jpg
Tree takes a little diversion up a challenging slope.

=============

On the western end of our loop, Carguy headed back south. We rode back north on a mix of some of the nuttiest, sandy, and silty whoops and washes around. A great workout for the Desert Dash!!!

At 34 miles into our ride, Kerri's 2-Stroke seized up... and for the 3rd time... :)

...Sandiegoland's super magic 20' ATV tow-strap was put into operation.
Mikeyb supplied the tow truck, and Ride-Orange the piloting...

The vid is kind of funny, as there seems to be some difficulty in getting into the groove (I think it might've got kicked into gear). She's a good rider and they soon got into the groove and got it 11.5 miles back to camp. Some stuff I could barely plow through they got two bikes through on one motor!! Good job folks!!! :)

p1010127e.jpg

p1010129e.jpg

After we got back to camp we took a snack break and went out for some local practice...

Posted Image

Morgan takes flight!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Baja 1000 wannabe's!! :)

Posted Image

Morgan "to infinity and beyond!!!!" :)

Posted Image

Good pictures Craig! Sorry the picture of you flying through the air didn't come out... I have a problem getting digital cameras to shoot when I want them to.

Morgan was excited to see his name and picture on the website... Maybe he can take the tw200 on the Desert Dash... do you think a 5' 2" 100 lb rider would attract any attention?

Morgan was excited to see his name and picture on the website... Maybe he can take the tw200 on the Desert Dash... do you think a 5' 2" 100 lb rider would attract any attention?

When I looked at the shots of Morgan by himself I had to double check. Everything was to scale and he looked just like an adult rider...

Posted Image

But when he was next to another rider... size was more apparent... :)

Posted Image

=====

Pound for pound... he was the most kick ass rider out there!! Way to go Morgan!! I think with some strategic bypasses he could do the Dash. Remember on the Dash there is nothing stopping you from skipping or bypassing a section, but without knowing the course it may be a logistical nightmare to stay off the highway without a support vehicle to meet you at each "plated" section. My recommendation would be to do the Dash yourself, then bring him back to your favortite sections piece by piece later. Let him "post-run" the course.

Although I broke off at Painted Gorge I still had a good ride. It was great riding with everyone on New Years Day, The first ride of 2007.

Posted Image

After I went south, I skirted around the Coyote Mountains to S-2 at the border check, then Dos Cabesa back to Ocotillo. I was getting hungry and headed home from there. Another 160 mile ride

Again it was 28 when I left home and around 68 at Superstition. Time for a trip to the metal supply.

Started building a Honda Hualer today. Almost Done!!

Posted Image

Happy New Year Everyone!

Great write-ups guys! I know that in spite of a couple of minor difficulties, a good time was had by all.

I really enjoyed trailing and helping Bob keep an eye on Morgan. The most impressive part was that the little guy kept getting faster and faster. I suppose he's just another one who will be passing me soon! B)

Don't forget to wave as you go by Morgan B)

See you all at the DD sign-ups (or maybe sooner?)

R-O

Again it was 28 when I left home and around 68 at Superstition. Time for a trip to the metal supply...

Started building a Honda Hauler today. Almost Done!!

Dingady-doo-whickle!! That's impressive!!!

I really enjoyed trailing and helping Bob keep an eye on Morgan.

Correction:

"I really enjoyed helping Bob keep an eye on Morgan, who was keeping an eye on Sandiegoland." B)

It was a good day out. I cheated death a few times, or at least a few get-offs!! Those were definitely the most challenging sets of whoops I've encountered. Lots of good practice out there and glad to have all the good supervision!!

To everyone on the ride... thanks for your patience. He was very excited to ride with everyone (especially the guys with OFFICIAL numbers on their bikes) and you guys were all great. As the day went along, he gained more confidence, and was buzzing along at 50 mph on the way back.

Ride-Orange and Kerri from AZ- Sorry about the strafing run Morgan pulled on you guys while you were towing... I gave him an earful about that.

Mikeyb- Nice to meet you, and share some conversation out and back. Nice set up you have on that Suburu.

Next week I hope to take him out to Ocotillo Wells and play around there for a bit.

See you all on the next ride...

To everyone on the ride... thanks for your patience. He was very excited to ride with everyone (especially the guys with OFFICIAL numbers on their bikes) and you guys were all great.

He wasn't the only one! B)

Do'h!! I forgot to get a photo of that soiled "strawberry" when we got back to camp. Oh well, too busy with my food as usual... B)