Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Ride to Hell`s Kitchen

I hadn't planned on going on the ride. In fact at eight o clock, I was playing with the cat, eating a bowl of Cheerios and thinking about doing an oil change on the KLX. But by nine thirty, the cat was napping, the oil change was done, I was suited up and ready to go for a ride and I was sure that if I took the freeway, I'd meet the group at Hells Kitchen at eleven. And I did. B)

And now here are some pictures from the second half of the ride. :)

Getting ready to leave Hells Kitchen after a rather overly leisure lunch.

100_2425.jpg

Reflections of a ride. Reminds me of one of those allergy medicine commercials. :lol:

100_2426.jpg

100_2427.jpg

Vrrroom vrrroom...Whoops, I mean shhhh! This is about the last view of me in clean riding duds for the day. The trail was plenty dusty, as it always is at this time of year.

100_2430.jpg

Out on the trail....

100_2435.jpg

100_2433.jpg

Joliet has a clutch problem, sez his clutch is a frozen up as hard as a rock, so he inspects it...

100_2432.jpg

and finds....a rock stuck under the actuator arm. Yes, he's holding up a little rock.

100_2434.jpg

We visit the towers at Santiago Peak and check out the view.

100_2440.jpg

and what a lovely view it is...well I think so. :ph34r:

100_2436.jpg

Okay, okay, here's the skyline view.

100_2439.jpg

100_2438.jpg

100_2437.jpg

What is this guy looking at?

100_2441.jpg

A blown wheel bearing! B) Good thing it happened when we were pretty close to home.

100_2442.jpg

Was a nice day for me. Good to meet Kris and Yeti and to ride with Digdug, Mickey and Joliet again. See you guys on another ride.

Nice video Kris, that video camera's cool!!

Here are my pics from the day:

Meeting at Carl's Jr. Present and accounted for were DigDug, Doug's son Micky, Kris, Joliet and me (Yeti):

img2291.jpg

We rode up DeLuz road and then on Tenaja Truck trail to the gate at Pendleton:

img2295.jpg

On the way back down Tenaja, Micky was supermotoing through a corner when the rear hooked up and he shot off the trail. D'OH!!! He's under the bike there, but a bit hard to see:

img2296r.jpg

Micky recovering. A bit shaken but nothing broken on him or the bike. Gotta love landing in a bush:

img2297.jpg

Then we rode South Main Divide road out to Del Dios, stopping at the hanglider port on the way. Both the campground and the OHV park were closed. :ph34r:

img2302.jpg

img2308.jpg

img2309.jpg

img2314.jpg

Then we had lunch at Hell's Kitchen. An hour and 5 minutes between our arrival and food hitting the tables. Oh well.

After lunch Kris went back but Mimi joined us. We headed to Santiago Peak.

img2319a.jpg

img2320a.jpg

Micky didn't make it.

img2321.jpg

Mimi did:

img2323.jpg

The view at the top. That's Catalina Island out there:

img2325.jpg

img2327.jpg

The peak:

img2329.jpg

I love this bike (although it needs stiffer fork springs):

img2331.jpg

I took Indian Truck Trail back:

img2335.jpg

The view back to Santiago Peak:

img2337.jpg

And then I saw this fire to the east of the 15 on the way home. UGH.

img2341q.jpg

Awesome ride but I was waaaaaay hot since all my gear got soaked in a garage flood the night before.

Thanks DOUG for leading us on an awesome ride!!

Badly wanted to go on this ride but AZ prep kept me busy most of the day. Thx for posting the pics & video.

The end of the video is a little screwed up because the camera lens was fogged up, so the fancy scooter maneuvers are a little difficult to see!

Probably more like dusty than fogged up. :)

The end of the video is a little screwed up because the camera lens was fogged up, so the fancy scooter maneuvers are a little difficult to see!

Probably more like dusty than fogged up. :)

No, it was fogged up. I tried to clean it off and realized it was inside the lens. Later on it was gone.

Thanks for the great ride everyone!!!

Good group of riders and a beautiful day (if a bit warm).

We got the 450 home yesterday afternoon safe and sound. I guess it's time to learn how to do wheel bearings!!!

Here's a few of my pictures:

img1789g.jpg

img1791p.jpg

img1796pj.jpg

img1797k.jpg

img1800xr.jpg

img1805.jpg

img1806e.jpg

img1807av.jpg

img1808p.jpg

img1809pv.jpg

img1815x.jpg

img1816sn.jpg

img1817kr.jpg

img1820y.jpg

img1822qb.jpg

Thanks for the great ride everyone!!!

Good group of riders and a beautiful day (if a bit warm).

We got the 450 home yesterday afternoon safe and sound. I guess it's time to learn how to do wheel bearings!!!

Yeah, it was a great ride, even if I missed the first half.

Nice pix too.

Too bad the blown out bearing squashed any plans you might have been thinking about for a green sticker ride today, but there's always another weekend, and maybe with some cooler weather. :)

Yeah, it was a great ride, even if I missed the first half.

Nice pix too.

Too bad the blown out bearing squashed any plans you might have been thinking about for a green sticker ride today, but there's always another weekend, and maybe with some cooler weather. :lol:

No doubt... One of these times I'm going to ride all the way up to Corona and back on the dirt without having to bail to the pavement. Of course spending two hours at lunch doesn't help the timing. :)

We had other obligations come up so today was a non-riding day anyways, but the bearing did seal the deal. I picked up a new bearing kit from NCY - $80. Now I just have to put it in - where's that FakeName bearing thread with the freezer tips? :lol:

I also need new blinkers, mirrors (bought the Emigo cheapies at Cycle Gear today) and a few other things. That kid is rough on bikes - even if most of the stuff wasn't his fault - it happened when he was riding it (I can blame it on him that way, can't I?) B):lol: If only he'd do what his dad tells him and "ride it like a scooter" - things wouldn't break so badly. Now I see why his bike is in the shape it's in!!!

Thanks again to everyone for coming out!

By the way, that lake that I was curious about that we could see as we descended into Corona turned out to be Lake Matthews. I checked it out later on Google Earth. :)

Good videos. Did you use original vholdr or the new Contour Vholdr in standard definition? The battery life and memory of the new Contour HD helmet camera are much better than the original Vholdr camera. I like the image better for web streaming on the original Vholdr. Thanks for posting. I am jealous, but moved this weekend and have the dual sport ride in Yosemite this next weekend.

Doug thanks leading a good ride. My GPS said 175 miles for the day. Temps were good since there was nothing technical to tired me out :) . Next time you need bearing or seals, go down to Kamen bearing on Grand in San Marcos. Write the number down and have them cross reference them.

Temp

Doug thanks leading a good ride. My GPS said 175 miles for the day.

Next time you need bearing or seals, go down to Kamen bearing on Grand in San Marcos. Write the number down and have them cross reference them.

I still managed to get 151 miles on my trip odometer, so I guess that I technically missed about 24 miles of the ride. :)

I second that comment on where to get bearings. Kamen is a good source and you will save up to 50 percent of what the dealer charges.

Almost forgot to mention that "Dirty Adventurer" was at Hells kitchen when we got there for lunch. He is from Orange county and rode the X-Plane ride with us. His group passed us heading up to Santiago Peak.

Doug thanks leading a good ride. My GPS said 175 miles for the day. Temps were good since there was nothing technical to tired me out :lol: . Next time you need bearing or seals, go down to Kamen bearing on Grand in San Marcos. Write the number down and have them cross reference them.

Thanks for the photos guys, wish I could have gone.

I would like to second Ken's suggestion for Kamen for bearings and seals. I have also used Valley Chain and Gear also in San Marcos. I have rebuilt complete Husky gear boxes replacing all bearings and seals on my Vintage Husky transmissions with bearings and seals from these two places. Just bring in your old ones and they can usually match them up. If you want to spend some money for high quality stuff Valley C&G can usually give you Viton Seals (aircraft quality). I try to put these in my Husky gear boxes whenever I can since you will likely never have to replace these again.

Don

If you want to spend some money for high quality stuff Valley C&G can usually give you Viton Seals (aircraft quality). I try to put these in my Husky gear boxes whenever I can since you will likely never have to replace these again.

That sounds just like what those KTM rear wheels need! :lol:

Are they just seals or do they make bearings too?

If you want to spend some money for high quality stuff Valley C&G can usually give you Viton Seals (aircraft quality). I try to put these in my Husky gear boxes whenever I can since you will likely never have to replace these again.

Don't know if they make bearings. Ken might know. The Swedish Huskys used Timken bearings. That is usually what I try to get for a direct replacement.

My opinion on KTM quality is still out (Crawdaddy's engines sound really noisy to me. :lol: ) . My Vintage Huskys were one of the most expensive and high quality bikes of their day. Swedish metalurgy and engineering is world famous. When Cagiva bought them out I suspect it was to eliminate the competition. They obviously didn't keep up the quality. I am waiting to see what BMW does with it.

Thanks for the feedback on the bearings... KTM makes (and I got) an entire set for $80. It includes the spacer tube, 2 bearings, the circlip, 2 seals, and the two bushings. Not to bad I guess. I don't know what will need replacing, but I figure for what I paid, I got everything but the hub - as long as I'm tearing into it, I might as well throw it all in.

I ran with the chain too tight for quite a while. I also think I might have weakened the bearing wedging my truck tailgate against the rear wheel, and I do ride the bike pretty hard. I've got quite a few miles on the bike so I don't figure $80 for three years of fun is all too bad. I'll look into those other bearings next time I need them replaced.

Now I just have to find a few hours to go and install these.

Thanks again for the ride everyone!!! I want to go back up and explore some of the other offshoot trails and see what's open and what's not open up there. There are LOTS of miles of dirt up there to be ridden!!!

Almost forgot to mention that "Dirty Adventurer" was at Hells kitchen when we got there for lunch. He is from Orange county and rode the X-Plane ride with us. His group passed us heading up to Santiago Peak.

It was great seeing you guys at Hells Kitchen and also near the peak. One thing you can count on at HK is slow service, but saturday was super slow.

A group of us met at Maple Springs gate out of Orange County. we rode to the peak down to HK for Lunch, and returned the same way. It was a little warmer than I prefer, but not a bad ride!

I hope to do another ride with the SDAR group again.

See you on the trail :lol:

John

Thanks for the feedback on the bearings... KTM makes (and I got) an entire set for $80. It includes the spacer tube, 2 bearings, the circlip, 2 seals, and the two bushings. Not to bad I guess. I don't know what will need replacing, but I figure for what I paid, I got everything but the hub - as long as I'm tearing into it, I might as well throw it all in.

I ran with the chain too tight for quite a while. I also think I might have weakened the bearing wedging my truck tailgate against the rear wheel, and I do ride the bike pretty hard. I've got quite a few miles on the bike so I don't figure $80 for three years of fun is all too bad. I'll look into those other bearings next time I need them replaced.

Now I just have to find a few hours to go and install these.

Thanks again for the ride everyone!!! I want to go back up and explore some of the other offshoot trails and see what's open and what's not open up there. There are LOTS of miles of dirt up there to be ridden!!!

I really don't think you did the dirty deed Doug. Most likely the seal developed a leak and dirt and water got into it. Those bearings are prety tough. It is usually as unusual problem that causes something like this. Even hard riding shouldn't have caused it.

Don't know if they make bearings. Ken might know. The Swedish Huskys used Timken bearings. That is usually what I try to get for a direct replacement.

My opinion on KTM quality is still out (Crawdaddy's engines sound really noisy to me. :lol: ) . My Vintage Huskys were one of the most expensive and high quality bikes of their day. Swedish metalurgy and engineering is world famous. When Cagiva bought them out I suspect it was to eliminate the competition. They obviously didn't keep up the quality. I am waiting to see what BMW does with it.

The Viton is just the fluorocarbon rubber compound that they use in the seals as opposed to Buna/Nitrile in most seals. They will both wear out on a rotating part, but the Viton has a much better shelf life in the elements than Buna. In 20 years the Viton will still be pliable and be able to seal when 5 years is about all the Buna will last before getting brittle. The Buna is good for oil and grease, but the Viton is good for a much wider variety of chemicals, as well as ozone, sunlight ect.

The Viton is just the fluorocarbon rubber compound that they use in the seals as opposed to Buna/Nitrile in most seals. They will both wear out on a rotating part, but the Viton has a much better shelf life in the elements than Buna. In 20 years the Viton will still be pliable and be able to seal when 5 years is about all the Buna will last before getting brittle. The Buna is good for oil and grease, but the Viton is good for a much wider variety of chemicals, as well as ozone, sunlight ect.

Come to think of it, Viton is what is used on the tips of float valve needles.

Temp

Doug thanks leading a good ride. My GPS said 175 miles for the day.

Next time you need bearing or seals, go down to Kamen bearing on Grand in San Marcos. Write the number down and have them cross reference them.

I still managed to get 151 miles on my trip odometer, so I guess that I technically missed about 24 miles of the ride. :lol:

I second that comment on where to get bearings. Kamen is a good source and you will save up to 50 percent of what the dealer charges.

My GPS said 247 for the day. Course, I had to ride up from Clairemont.

I didn't really mention it, but Indian Truck Trail is beautiful. I really want to ride UP it sometimesince, well, we all know how well big bikes do downhill... :lol:

Doug, thanks again for leading a great ride. Next time lets skip the heat and Hells Kitchen and complete the loop.

My GPS said 247 for the day. Course, I had to ride up from Clairemont.

I didn't really mention it, but Indian Truck Trail is beautiful. I really want to ride UP it sometimesince, well, we all know how well big bikes do downhill... :lol:

Doug, thanks again for leading a great ride. Next time lets skip the heat and Hells Kitchen and complete the loop.

LOADS of miles for you!

Yeah... Hell's Kitchen was pretty ridiculous!

Next time I think I'll skip the leg from Fallbrook up as well as lunch at HK. Gas up in Lake Elsinore then loads of gas and time for poking around the mountains. There are a couple other offshoots from Main Divide I wanted to check out too - but I'm not sure what's open(the FS website is pretty out-of-date).

Good to hear that Indian TT is open all the way through. That would have sucked to get to the bottom and a closed gate!

Good videos. Did you use original vholdr or the new Contour Vholdr in standard definition? The battery life and memory of the new Contour HD helmet camera are much better than the original Vholdr camera. I like the image better for web streaming on the original Vholdr. Thanks for posting. I am jealous, but moved this weekend and have the dual sport ride in Yosemite this next weekend.

I have the original VHoldr, got it about a month brfore the new one was anounced!