Kris

Palomar Divide Truck Trail

Went for a ride with Trophyhunter and Ironman on Palomar Divide Truck Trail Monday. Had a good time. I think Trophyhunter has some pictures. I have posted some VholdR video below.

Here is a video of the first (paved) section from the trucks to the rock house.

http://www.vholdr.com/video/palomar-divide-truck-trail-1

This is the 2nd section, I will post them in order as I go.

http://www.vholdr.com/video/palomar-divide-truck-trail-2

http://www.vholdr.com/video/palomar-divide...rail-3-1st-half

http://www.vholdr.com/video/palomar-divide-truck-trail-3

http://www.vholdr.com/video/palomar-divide...rail-4-1st-half

http://www.vholdr.com/video/palomar-divide...rail-4-2nd-half

--------------------

Kris

I don`t want a pickle, just want to ride my motorsickle

and I don`t want to die just want to ride my motorcy------------cle

08 Husky TE510 5k mi.

03 Harley 1200S Sportster 30k mi.

xplane-sdar09-icon.png

PalomarJune2009019-1.jpg

Check out the unlocked gate to a "just off the road" parking spot.

PalomarJune2009018.jpg

This sign ( & others ) would lead one to believe they're entering the Cleveland National Forest.

PalomarJune2009015.jpg

License plates....check. I am responsible....check.

Okay, Cleveland....hmmm, Adventure Pass...mine expired at the end of May. We're in June..."I am responsible" is still ringing in my brain. I checked the "property lines" on aerial view prior to going up and it looked like the "forrest" land didn't start for a ways off the 79, but I'm not taking any chances & need 'em for more rides any way.

About 7 miles back to Warner Springs to the Mini-Mart for a pass + "extra vehicle" pass. Brian (Ironman) follows me into town as we have plenty of time before we meet Kris (Kris). We pass Kris enroute & I figure I'll just grab an extra for him in case..... "No Adventure Pass for sale & ya don't need one...been that way for 5 years"

I assured the clerk we wanted get one if needed but nobody in WS sells 'em. So it's okay to park right inside the gate where it says Cleveland National Forest... NOPE. That's private land belonging to VID (Vista Irrigation District), they'll tow ya if you park there. No signs, postings, nothin'. :lol:

I ask the Los Coyotes Police guy just outside the door where we should park, legally, and he confirms VID will tow us if we park in the unmarked, huge, well worn, good for nothing else spot just inside the gate. :rolleyes: I ask Brian to beat feet back to the spot & stop Kris from unloading....too late.

Before I depart, (I'll call her Millie) tells me to park about 2 miles up the dirt road in the Cleveland area. No pass needed.

I pull back into the large dirt area & meet Kris whom I haven't seen since dinner before the X-Plane ride. I call Cleveland's office. "what..I think it's private, uhm, lemme see...here's a supervisor....it's our gate but our land starts about a mile in" Got the number to VID...."I think that's ours so it's private, I don't think we let people park there...here's a supervisor"

Finally got the # to Ralph, the local guy who handles the area...wooohoooo! Ralph...."it's ours & it's private" K, Ralph, can we park here...will you tow us....will you give us permission to park for the day? Ralph didn't want any responsibility for anything so we conquered the most challenging part of the ride in our trucks.

PalomarJune2009001.jpg

PalomarJune2009003.jpg

Stone house, no roof.

PalomarJune2009006.jpg

PalomarJune2009005.jpg

Kris' Husky was like steeds of long ago. He whistled and it came right over to him. Amazing stuff.

PalomarJune2009012.jpg

Kris & Brian in the distance.

Perfect weather, good company & no injuries/trail fixes. Good thing cuz my camelback with all my tire changing stuff, etc was in my kitchen at home. :blink:

Great pics & write-up.

Sounds like the parking thing was a lot of drama!

I got frustrated just reading about it.

I've been there a few times, but always rode there.

Warner Springs Ranch will generally allow you to leave your truck in their parking lot as long as you call'em first (to grovel for consent) then check in at the front office when you arrive......I've done that twice (I generally ride over)......good/alternate spot as you're only talking about a few vehicles.....they might not be as receptive if you have half a dozen trucks......

http://www.warnersprings.com/

Towing vehicles must be a new thing, because I've always parked inside the gate over the last twenty years, most recently on Oct 25 of 08 with a big group of SDAR riders. No problems then. Glad to be notified before going out there again though. :)

I copied down the # for the glider port too as there is a LOT of open space there. I prolly should have just kept mybigmouthclosed but after "Millies" announcement I didn't feel like riding the WR to Temecula to get my truck out of impounds. I'd say anyone would have a good fight since nothing was marked.

FYI, I shortened the actual drama extensively for presentation. :)

I copied down the # for the glider port too as there is a LOT of open space there.

I've parked there too, when riding on Lost Valley road.

Nice Videos Guys!! Sweet! I gotta get up there and ride. Looks like a nice lil cruise. Hopefully I dont get lost. :lol:

Just FYI- I once got a ticket for an expired Adventure Pass, and it's easy. No fine, just send them the serial number of a current pass, proving you purchased one or forgot to display yours, and that's all.

Just FYI- I once got a ticket for an expired Adventure Pass, and it's easy. No fine, just send them the serial number of a current pass, proving you purchased one or forgot to display yours, and that's all.

I had a group of riders up at Pinnacles last spring and one of them didn't have a pass. He got a ticket, but it was only 5 dollars, the same as if he had bought a one day pass. Seems reasonable.

Looked like a fun ride. I looked up the palomar area on google and saw that the Palomar divide truck trail goes through to Doane valley, and Nate Harrison rd . Any idea if this accessible or are there locked gates in between? How about High point lookout?

Baldbeemer,

Locked Gates on either side of the Forest Service Outfit. No legal way across.

Huh.

Never heard of the trail.

So, an adventure rider riding from SD to Palm Desert could ride up Nate Harrison and down Palomar Divide to the 79, and be on dirt most of the way?

Or no?

No. Schwinn almost had us thru with his fire connect but timing.....

I don't know why the gates aren't just open, but lots of things confuse me......

So, an adventure rider riding from SD to Palm Desert could ride up Nate Harrison and down Palomar Divide to the 79, and be on dirt most of the way?

Or no?

NO (unfortunately)

But you could go up Nate Harrison, down the East grade, 76/79, and pick up dirt again in Warner Springs.......ride up to Anza......then cut across 371 to 74 and take that down to Palm Desert