Hi all,

my DR 650 developed an oil leak from last Saturday ride. It's the cylinders rear base area and sides. I think it's a blown base gasket or clutch gasket ( unlikely). Any advices where to start and how to proceed with repare? Is it worth of doing it yourself? Local motor shops?

Thanks

Hi all,

my DR 650 developed an oil leak from last Saturday ride. It's the cylinders rear base area and sides. I think it's a blown base gasket or clutch gasket ( unlikely). Any advices where to start and how to proceed with repare? Is it worth of doing it yourself? Local motor shops?

Thanks

Just tighten down all the bolts and monitor the leak on your next ride. Its not a big problem unless you have a BIG oil leak! Kev

Hi all,

Thanks

Just tighten down all the bolts and monitor the leak on your next ride. Its not a big problem unless you have a BIG oil leak! Kev

There Ya go Alex. Tighten it down and come ride with us Saturday. If it fails, I will get you back to your truck. :D

Hi all,

Thanks

There Ya go Alex. Tighten it down and come ride with us Saturday. If it fails, I will get you back to your truck. ;)

Carguy,

I can't leave my baby in the desert night alone...I just can't :D

How bad is it leaking, a drop or two, or leaving a puddle? if its not too bad put a quart of oil in a ziplock bag in your pack. Keep an eye on the oil level in the bike during the ride. We can get your bike back to the truck or worse case get your truck to the bike. Come ride with us. Ken

How bad is it leaking, a drop or two, or leaving a puddle? if its not too bad put a quart of oil in a ziplock bag in your pack. Keep an eye on the oil level in the bike during the ride. We can get your bike back to the truck or worse case get your truck to the bike. Come ride with us. Ken

Ken,

it's not gashing, but looks like 1 drop/ 2-3 minutes. Any way, the bike is already in FBC shop, no riding for papaalex this weekend :) , next time ;) . Have a good ride guys.

Alex.

Alex, did you get your bike back to the shop that fixed it the first time? I am curious if they will stand behind their work or not. Just an update for everyone, Last week Alex took his bike in for a small oil leak, paid a chunk of change to get it fixed and after 3 hours of riding it is leaking worse than when he took it in in the first place. I hope they do you right and fix it for free. Keep us posted.

They were not happy to see me again, but they took it back as a warranty deal did not ask for money. Same mechanic ( they call them techs :ph34r: ) will work on the bike and I keep my fingers crossed. I'll update about the progress, but generally speaking, it was a headache to deal with this shop, too slow, too snobby, even tallking to a mechanic was a big unusual deal to them. It was just a stupid base gasket!!!!

No luck for Papaalex :huh: . Will it chage? :blink: We will see :blink:

Happy Thanksgiving riders :huh:

They were not happy to see me again, but they took it back as a warranty deal did not ask for money. Same mechanic ( they call them techs :ph34r: ) will work on the bike and I keep my fingers crossed. I'll update about the progress, but generally speaking, it was a headache to deal with this shop, too slow, too snobby, even tallking to a mechanic was a big unusual deal to them. It was just a stupid base gasket!!!!

No luck for Papaalex :huh: . Will it chage? :blink: We will see :blink:

Happy Thanksgiving riders :huh:

I have not heard many positve things about Fun Bike Center other than they have a new big building!!

Is it alright to ask where you took your bike? I don't want to start a flame war, I'm just curious and would like to keep it in mind if my bike needs to go somewhere for work.

Jon

Is it alright to ask where you took your bike? I don't want to start a flame war, I'm just curious and would like to keep it in mind if my bike needs to go somewhere for work.

Jon

I believe it was already mentioned, David. :ph34r:

oops missed it up there,

I too have heard bad things about their service. One parts guy was really good, sorta good anyway. he was new and was taking forever with a part lookup so I told him I was gonna look around, he came out to tell me what he found and then spent about 10 mins helping me look for other stuff I was shopping for. When I went in a week later he remembered my name and helped me out again. I haven't seen him since but I haven't been there in a month or so. The girls that work the appearal area are also pretty helpful and oddly seem to know more about the riding gear than the guys there. Odd because this is an extremely male dominated activity.

I wont be bashful. Fun Bike Center AKA FBC is "thee" biggest craphouse in Diego. Myself and NUMEROUS friends have been screwed on sales deals and/or parts department woes. Most of the guys guys behind the counter are kooks that don't have a clue about bikes in general. A service tech I tried to ask a question acted like I was wasting his time. The most help I received there was from a girl in the apparel dept that helped me size a chest protector and knew what she was talking about. I wont shop there anymore. I gave them 3 chances and they struck out miserably.

FBC is where I bought my XR. They were the only ones who had one in stock at the time I bought. They never followed up on the sale, wanted too much for the 1st 500 mile service and the guys working the parts counter when I went in there looking for a new crankcase cover were "Tards".

Motoworld of El Cajon has damn good mechanics that know XR's (10% military discount there and at Cycle Gear). RP Racing in El Cajon and Bob's "Two Wheel Tire Store" in Santee have treated me well enough to keep my buisness. CMC in Santee is good for deals on riding gear and Vey's in Lakeside is good for you quad owners out there that need service and parts.

I found that the cheapest OEM parts for my XR (and probably the same for other makes) can be found at "bikebandit.com"

They give AMA members a discount!

Just my two cents....Ride On!