Strega

X-Plane Tour - Jan 9-11, 2008

Updated: 01/11/09 2130

• Ride Complete, link to pics HERE
  • ---

• Added a new short loop for Sunday morning to go up to Calico and back before noon
  • Some minor group changes have been made, they are just a guess, and by NO means official in any way
  • Added a new X-15 pic that was found in old NASA Archives at the Smithsonian
  • Added GPX file download
  • Updated ride roster
  • Added filtered tracks for Sat only, 10 tracks, 250 pts per track. (Scroll to bottom)
  • Added tentative group assignments
  • Added TrophyHunter to the ride
  • Added Burro Schmidt info
  • Added Route Information
  • Added Erick to the ride
  • Consolidated post

The Idea:

• Crawdaddy has wanted to do the X-Plane Tour for a while now, so he's been working hard to put some sweet tracks together to make a fun ride for our club. I have compiled all of the information together from the previous thread into one post. "This ride is really setup to entice dual sport newbies and/or "Adventure" enthusiasts into trying to pull off a 200 mile single day ride and see some cool stuff along the way"........that's about it......experienced riders will find the ride technically boring but will also (hopefully) find the ride to be historically/socially interesting, scenic & enjoyable".

The History:

X-15_cdaddy.jpg

The Event:

• X-Plane Tour 2009

Time/Date:

• January 10-11, 2009 (Sat/Sun)

• Barstow, CA

Accomodations:

• Ramada Inn, Barstow
    1511 East Main Street
    Barstow, CA, 92311 US
    Phone: 760-256-5673
  • Promotional Code is: X-PLANE to get the $75 + tax group rate

Directions:

GPS Tracks: (In FireFox, right click on the link and select, 'Save Link As', or if using Internet Explorer, right click on the link and 'Save Target As')

• Download: HERE ver 1.5
  • Download: HERE ver 1.3f (Filtered to 10 tracks and 250 pts for older GPS units)

• The main route (Green) is suitable for ALL bikes (Adv or Dual Sport).....Hero (Red) tracks recommended for Dual Sports ONLY..... unless you're an advanced rider on a ADV bike....regardless, you've been informed/cautioned

The Route:

Saturday:

• 01 - Bar-Rainbow Basin (Dark Green)Takes you from the Ramada in Barstow to the end of Rainbow Canyon - (15 miles)
  • 02 - Rainbow - JoBurg (Dark Green)
    Takes you from Rainbow Canyon to HWY 395 just north of Johannesburg - (78.2 miles)
  • Bypass Petro (Dark Magenta)
    This 6.1 mile Bypass along Track 02 skips the ride by the Petroglyphs and cuts off ~2 miles....it also runs past a bail waypoint (Black Canyon Rd.) if anyone feels the need to drop back down to Hinkley. The bypass rejoins Track 02 about ~8 miles short of the Husky Monument.
  • Hero AM (Red)
    5.2 mile stretch along Track 02 between the Husky Monument and the gas cut-off (this track ends at the gas cut off).....it doesn't have any real ugly hills but you will be riding up a rocky/F'd up wash for a ways.....have fun. :P . NOT PART OF STD ROUTE
  • Gas - JBurg (Cyan)
    There's a cut-off for gas about ~70 miles into Track 02 (did I mention you need a safe range of ~90 miles from Barstow? ;):( ). This stop for gas is a short 8 mile track that takes you over to the gas station in Johannesburg and then runs you back out to Track 02 via Trona Rd.....
  • 03 - 395-Burro (Dark Green)
    Takes you from 395 to the Burro Schmidt Tunnel - (18.1 miles)
  • 03 Option (Dark Red)
    12.1 mile variant/option along Track 03.....adds another ~7 miles to the journey along Track 03 by swinging north into the hills before dropping back down to Track 03. NOT PART OF STD ROUTE.
  • 04 Schmidt-Rand (Dark Green)
    Takes you from the Burro Schmidt Tunnel through Randsburg (lunch) and ends at the gas station in Johannesburg where some folks will need to top off before the journey back to Hinkley/Barstow. - (17.9 miles)
  • Garlock Option (Dark Blue)
    Optional track that leaves Track 04 and swings through Garlock on the way over to Randsburg - (7.4 miles). NOT PART OF STD ROUTE.
  • 05 JBurg-Barstow (Dark Green)
    The home stretch from Johannesburg to Barstow - (very easy 64.6 miles).
  • Hero PM (Red)
    15.1 mile stretch along Track 05....a bit challenging/some loose climbs - have fun :P . NOT PART OF STD ROUTE.
  • 01 - Bar-Rainbow Basin (Dark Green)
    Takes you from the end of Track 05 back to the Ramada - (~2.7 miles)

Sunday:

• Sun Calico Loop (Magenta)
    Easy way track following std ADV Bar-Baker Track over to Calico Ghost Town (http://www.calicotown.com/ ) where we'll stop/look around a bit……then head north/east out of Calico on W. Philips Dr. to Tin Aly Rd. (those wishing a shorter/easier path can stay on Mule Canyon Rd. over to the point where Tin Aly and Mule converge 5 miles vs. 2.5 miles)….then we'll swing south, drop below the 15FWy and hop on the paved Yermo Rd. for a short stretch……Yermo will run us over to Daggett/Yermo which drops down to Soap Mine Rd. or riders can just stay on Yermo to the 15FWY and cut back into town, or you can swing North on Daggett and pickup the earlier portion of the morning track in the reverse direction (~50 mile Loop)
  • -- OR --

• 01 - Bar-Rainbow Basin (Dark Green)Take this for a couple miles to run out and connect with Sun 02 ADV Bar-Bkr
  • Sun 02 ADV Bar-Bkr (Light Green)
    Easy way track between Barstow and Baker (a few rocky/sandy stretches) - (79.6 miles)
  • Sun AM - (Cyan)
    Easy way alternate for the morning stretch between Barstow and Baker so we're not riding the same exact thing on the way back to Barstow in the afternoon - (5.1 miles)
  • Sun 01 Hero (Red)
    About 30 miles into Sun 02 there's a cut-off for the standard Sat morning LA-B-V section across Manx Wash and through Afton Canyon to Baker.....deep sand/one deep water crossing...... - (51.6 miles). Note: I have the tail end of this track running along the Western edge of the Mojave Preserve rather than heading north up to the 15 FWY as they generally do during the LA-B-V ride.......there's a possibility that this track may not go through (sometimes they close the area around Soda Lake in the wet/winter months) .
  • Sun Alt from Hero - (Dark Red)
    If the Soda Lake area in Mojave is closed this will be the cut-off Track to take over to Baker after Afton Canyon. You hang a left turn on Rasor Road and head up towards the 15 FWY. The std Rasor/ZYZZX/15 track is actually pretty fun......washed out/abandoned jeep road alongside a buried gas pipeline....just follow the yellow pipeline signs..... - (18.7 Miles)
  • Sun PM Baker 2 Powerline
    Alternate way back from Baker to reconnect with Track Sun 02 - (25 miles)
  • Sun 02 ADV Bar-Bkr (Light Green)
    Easy way track between Barstow and Baker (a few rocky/sandy stretches) - (~70 miles back to Barstow)

Information:

1. There will be an informal meeting at 9pm Friday, Jan 9th at the bar/restaurant next door to the Ramada Inn in Barstow to discuss the ride, setup radios, set frequencies, etc.
  2. The ride starts at 7am PST SHARP. There will be an informal ride etiquette and safety meeting at 6:50am. If you are not ready at 7am, you will be left behind. There is a lot of riding to do, and starting late means getting back in the DARK. Please be on time.
  3. Breakfast is served in the Hotel starting at 6am. It is a continental breakfast.
  4. Your bike should have a range of approx 80 miles. (If not, ask around for fuel bottles)
  5. Lunch stop will be in Randsburg at the Whitehorse Saloon on Saturday, Baker on Sunday
  6. Average Temp's In barstow
  7. Bring something to lock your bike up with overnight

Maps:

1. Saturday's GPS Map
  2. Sunday's GPS Map

Attendees:

Group 1: (Casual Ride Group)

1. Crawdaddy - GPS/Radio - Point/Sweep
  2. Strega - GPS/Radio - Point/Sweep
  3. Jaynen (+1) - GPS
  4. Zenosan - Sextant/Compass/Slide Rule :P
  5. Blind_in_1_ear - Hand over Visor
  6. Grantzilla
  7. xxxinsd

Group 2:

1. Fakename - GPS/Radio - Point/Sweep
  2. Bikeslut - GPS/Radio - Point/sweep
  3. TrophyHunter - GPS
  4. Erick - GPS
  5. Malamute

6. N2TM - GPS
  7. Tlking6 - GPS
  8. tntmo

Group 3:

1. Akcooper9 - GPS/Radio - Point/Sweep
  2. TomH - GPS/Radio - Point/Sweep
  3. HumptyThumpty - GPS (if on 530….CTR if on 990)
  4. DirtyAdventurer - GPS
  5. Joliet - GPS
  6. Kris
  7. Boat440
  8. Rudy

Quick Links: (In FireFox, right click on the link and select, 'Save Link As', or if using Internet Explorer, right click on the link and 'Save Target As')

It's not that I sing.

It's just that I know the words to nearly every song I've ever heard. Which, in this case, was suggested by the f104.

Tom-Tom Club released "Zooming and Booming" that uses samples of what appears to be a recording of an f104 pilot's communications with ground control. It does not appear to be the comms with the flight outlined in the link thoughtfully supplied by Strega.

Check it out on iTunes.

I can't see "F104" without this song playing in my head. But it's fun to finally understand the background on it.

I have compiled all of the information together from the previous thread into one post.

Wow, thanks for sorting it all out Roger....

Brought a couple more tidbits forward:

- Go HERE for more info on Burro Schmidt…..interesting character....we may or may not include this as part of "the tour" depending on time........I'd like to check out the area since we'll be nearby even though it's NOT a plane crash site but we'll see how it goes..........

- Regardless of whether we go to Burro Schmidt or not, we'll swing through RANDSBURG for a late lunch....

- The "in" Crowd

Unfortunately, Zina (Pirate Monkey) PM'd me that she isn't going to be able to make it........likewise, my son is waffling on accepting his father's invitation (I think he'd prefer to work that weekend and make a few $$ rather than ride "some boring route with a bunch of old/slow people" :blink::lol: ........ kids, gotta love'em :lol: )

Are there any others in the list of "23" that won't be able to join us? Any others outside the list that want "in"?

I told my wife's uncle about the ride over some early family xmas stuff today and he might be interested.I am also going to pass the word onto another friend of mine who just got himself a plated xr650R and would probably love a chance to do a long ride since he intends to do santa clarita to laughlin with a buddy

I told my wife's uncle about the ride over some early family xmas stuff today and he might be interested.I am also going to pass the word onto another friend of mine who just got himself a plated xr650R and would probably love a chance to do a long ride since he intends to do santa clarita to laughlin with a buddy

Jason - I've never met you or ridden with you, your uncle, your buddy, etc......I don't know how long your uncle has been riding, what his physical conditioning level is, what type of bike he rides, how long your buddy has been riding, whether any of you have ever ridden ~200 miles in one day, etc., etc....... but that's OK, I have absolutely no problem with anyone bringing their own " posse" along for the ride.....that said, I hope one of you is equipped to lead your subgroup after the main group splits apart......as previously stated in the original thread, I plan on leading the group "in total" for the first ~50+ miles out to the Husky Monument where we'll snap a group photo and fraction into smaller/manageble subgroups.....

I think I'd better reiterate that I have no intention of trying to hold a group of ~20+ people together for a ride of this length in its entirety.......that's just not practicable/reasonable/fun when you're trying to cover ~200 miles inclusive of multiple stops at various sites, lunch, gas, etc......

So we'll need to take not only a head count but also a GPS count.......I'd like to know who has a Garmin GPS and who doesn't.......that will aide in fractioning the main group apart into smaller/manageable sub groups (or combining subgroups) after the main group reaches the Husky Monument (and by the time we reach the Husky monument we may also have a better idea who belongs in which group, who wants to ride the hardways/options, etc.).......each subgroup, hardway or easy way, must have at least one rider/leader with a GPS/maps since there are no rollcharts for this ride......I'd prefer a minimum of two GPS equipped riders per subgroup.....

Hmm, I'm not really sure how to respond to that. I don't think you meant it negatively but it could be construed that way. I not expecting you to wipe noses, and I also don't expect a ride this size to be able to stay in one group. Now, I think your statement is again more of a general statement not targeted at me even though the way it is posted in response to me it could give that impression. Everyone appreciates your pulling the route together and posting up the ride, but you arent a babysitter. Obviously from the sheer number of interested parties, I think this potentially is the biggest turnout ive seen for a SDAR ride yet. Well maybe not counting like desert dash.

You asked about others not on the list who might want "in" so I was just adding a couple maybes to that list.

If people split off based on pace or ability or problems or you name it I am sure people won't get left behind and that is the important part. I wanted to do this to see some cool stuff and also in preparation for me when it comes to the plans to join in on Westfest summer 09

My wifes, uncle and my friend that I was referring to are both better riders than I am and could probably easily do the days ride in one of the faster groups taking the hardcore sections. I am not even expecting them to stay in "my group" if they do come, as long as there are other people to ride with for safety reasons I'll be fine. Well and if I borrow rogers fuel bottles just in case.

I don't think you meant it negatively

That's correct, I didn't mean it negatively........hey, I'm excited about this ride and happy so many SDAR members are "in".......I'm also my own worst enemy in some ways......I'm slightly freaked out by the size of the group from within our own club.......I didn't post this ride on D37, ADVRider, Thumper Talk, KTM Talk, etc., etc., for a reason.......I didn't want it to get unmanageable.........so I became a bit concerned when I read that you're reaching outside SDAR and drafting even more riders for this trip......but you're not alone.......I'm pretty sure "The Ghostriderz" will also be making an appearance with a few non SDAR folks.......the difference is, I know those guys and I know that they understand the game plan......I don't worry about them because I know they're able to navigate themselves on their own "Ghostly" route which may be some sort of subset of the route we'll be riding.....

What I'm trying to get across is, "if you're gonna reach outside the club and draft others to come on this ride please be prepared to lead'em, or be led by'em if they have GPS units and are more experienced riders, because we already have a lot of SDAR heads to account for on this trip"......

I know of at least 6 people on the "in" list who have GPS units so we oughta be able to fragment the SDAR folks pretty easily at Husky.......but the more riders that show up equipped the easier (and quicker) it'll be to fragment the main group.......not sure who's riding easy way and who's riding hard way.....we'll probably have to split the easy way into a couple of subgroups to keep the fun meter intact.....

My wifes, uncle and my friend that I was referring to are both better riders than I am.

Hijack on.

So how many wives do you have? :ph34r:

Hijack off.

I'm sure Crawdaddy didn't mean to be negative. He is just concerned he has created a monster ride. I sure wish I could join you guys and swell the ranks. But the new job has to come first. :D

My wifes, uncle and my friend that I was referring to are both better riders than I am.

Hijack on.

So how many wives do you have? :ph34r:

Hijack off.

I'm sure Crawdaddy didn't mean to be negative. He is just concerned he has created a monster ride. I sure wish I could join you guys and swell the ranks. But the new job has to come first. :D

wife's uncle :P my spelling is ok my punctuation and grammar is terrible

Edit: I'm going to stay over Saturday now as well. TrophyHunter made a good point. You don't know when others will return from the ride for the drive home and I love the post ride "stories" over a few beers.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and will be ready to go from a nav standpoint. My plan is to roll the "Easy Ways". I would consider myself a solid low end of the scale intermediate rider, hope that helps in the grouping. Like Crawdaddy mentioned, it'll all shake out by the Husky Monument.

My plan is to get out of here Friday afternoon and stay at the Ramada and come home Sunday morning. If anyone is doing the same and has room in their transportation setup or wants to go with me, PM me. I have an F150 with a crew cab. I can easily take another rider or 2 (just have to take the kid seats out and try to find all the french fry and chicken nugget remains back there).

Now for the gas challenge. I'm pretty sure I can get to 90 miles on my WR400 3.17 gal tank. Sure enough to not worry about it, NO. I'll certainly be going down the jburg gas cutoff. What are the small bike riders doing for backup gas? I have a enduro jug which will buy me about 10 miles. Should suffice, just want to tap into SDAR experience for suggestions.

Now for the gas challenge. I'm pretty sure I can get to 90 miles on my WR400 3.17 gal tank. Sure enough to not worry about it, NO. I'll certainly be going down the jburg gas cutoff. What are the small bike riders doing for backup gas? I have a enduro jug which will buy me about 10 miles. Should suffice, just want to tap into SDAR experience for suggestions.

Erick - You'll be fine with that bike/tank.....

I'd recommend that every subgroup plan on making that first stop for gas (to keep everyone in that particular group together).....though some riders may use it as more of a rest/quick snack stop than a gas stop......the bigger ADV bikes can just hold off until they pass by the same gas station again ~45 miles later after a late lunch in Randsburg......the smaller bikes will need to top off again anyway before the final ~65 miles back to Barstow so you can just fill up at that time.....

Always a good idea to carry a small water bottle in your pack in case you need extra water for you/your bike OR in case you need to drink/dump the water and grovel for extra fuel off another rider in an emergency.....

I'll be riding the 620 mother ship with 7.4 gallon tank......so I'll have gas to spare if anyone in my group needs a bit.....

Given the easy terrain, I'd imagine most bikes will have the range to make it to that first gas stop without any issues provided they leave Barstow with a brimmed tank. :ph34r:

I have 4 32oz MSR fuel bottles that I will be happy to lend to anyone that needs one or two. I'll also be on the bigger bike with the 5 gal tank so can help if needed.

I'll snag at least 2 of those just in case. I can probably make the 100 miles without it but I would rather have backup along.

I have a Garmin 76csx so I am GPS approved. Honestly the main reason I wanted to invite these non SDAR people is to get them into being SDAR people because I think they would enjoy it and are great people and riders.

It's a huge group. How awesome would it be to have that kind of turn out for Westfest! altho I doubt it due to the size of that commitment.

23. Ken (TrophyHunter)

To start a carpool page (egads)....wince. Talked with Strega so here it goes. This would probably work best thru PM's but here's my proposed but flexible trip.

Due to rush hour up/Vegas traffic back. Leave Noonish on Friday, ride Saturday, overnight Sat, back Sunday WITHOUT riding. This avoids the post ride drive back and the ineviditable differing "return to hotel" times of potential carpool partners. Besides, I haven't heard all the lies over refreshments and there have to be plenty from Saturday.

Sunday...on the road by 8ish.

With that being said (written), I can have 3 plus me with a quad cab truck and trailer. Willing to drive & split gas. PM me and I'll post when the truck is "full".

Looking forward to it.....with a giant thank you to Bikeslut! :blink:

This ride is really setup to entice dual sport newbies and/or "Adventure" enthusiasts into trying to pull off a 200 mile single day ride and see some cool stuff along the way"........that's about it......experienced riders will find the ride technically boring but will also (hopefully) find the ride to be historically/socially interesting, scenic & enjoyable.

I made a few guesses on what people have in terms of equipment and which of Zenosan’s groups *may* be the right fit…..I think we’ll probably just have two categories....the Balls to the Wall group (BTW) & Civilized Trail Riders group (CTR)………not sure how many subgroups we’ll have because I’m not sure all the folks on this list are really “in”……I think the BTW group will likely be the larger group (dual sport bikes/experienced riders) and may need to break into BTW 1 & BTW 2…..

Why do I think that?? :D .......because I'd encourage experienced riders on lighter dual sports to ride the HERO sections so you don't get too bored on the std route.....they're not THAT hard......and you likely ride at a pace where you can fit them into the time window......so go for it :D .......the only reason Roger and I aren't riding the hardways is because we promoted this ride to entice everyone on any bike to come out and explore with us.....we get a lot of satisfaction introducing friends to new areas regardless of terrain/difficulty......

Please send me a PM confirming you're "in", educating me on what equipment you have (GPS/VX-170), and telling me which group to drop you into......I’ll continue to update this post…..I realize folks may switch subgroup affiliation come game day but it helps a bit to have some general info up front….especially in terms of who has Garmin GPS units & VX-170 Radios (if you have both, congratulations - you automatically quality as potential Point/Sweep riders :D:D )....

If your name is highlighted below I have you as a confirmed player on Saturday, not a poser :D:P:D

1. Crawdaddy - GPS - Radio – CTR Point/Sweep

2. Jarrett (unsure) – GPS – BTW

3. Strega – GPS – Radio – CTR Point/Sweep

4. Zenosan - CTR

5. Fakename – GPS – Radio – BTW Point/Sweep

6. Tlking6 - GPS - BTW

7. tntmo - BTW

8. Joliet – GPS BTW

9. Jaynen – GPS CTR

10. Bagstr – GPS CTR

11. Kris - BTW

12. Blind_in_1_ear - CTR

13. Akcooper9 – GPS – Radio – BTW Point/Sweep

14. TomH – GPS - Radio – BTW – BTW Point/Sweep

15. Dirty adventurer - GPS - BTW

16. Kevin – Ghostriderz ride on their own schedule, at their own pace, on their own route……they’re rarely seen…..

17. N2TM – GPS - BTW

18. HumptyThumpty – GPS – BTW (if on 530….CTR if on 990)

19. Grantzilla - CTR

20. xxxinsd – GPS - Radio - BTW Point/Sweep BTW

21. Erick - GPS - BTW

22. TrophyHunter – GPS - BTW

23. Bikeslut – GPS - Radio (borrowed from Fake name) – BTW point/sweep

Others?

We'll figure out how/if to split up the group on Sunday after Saturday's ride

I hope we get tons of cool pictures!

Edit: Chris how difficult and how long total is the Sunday ride supposed to be?

I hope we get tons of cool pictures!

Edit: Chris how difficult and how long total is the Sunday ride supposed to be?

Please read the track descriptions/mileage info in the first post of this thread....it's all there.....

This ride is really setup to entice dual sport newbies and/or "Adventure" enthusiasts into trying to pull off a 200 mile single day ride and see some cool stuff along the way"........that's about it......experienced riders will find the ride technically boring but will also (hopefully) find the ride to be historically/socially interesting, scenic & enjoyable.

I made a few guesses on what people have in terms of equipment and which of Zenosan’s groups *may* be the right fit…..I think we’ll probably just have two categories....the Balls to the Wall group (BTW) & Civilized Trail Riders group (CTR)………not sure how many subgroups we’ll have because I’m not sure all the folks on this list are really “in”……I think the BTW group will likely be the larger group (dual sport bikes/experienced riders) and may need to break into BTW 1 & BTW 2…..

Why do I think that?? :blink: .......because I'd encourage experienced riders on lighter dual sports to ride the HERO sections so you don't get too bored on the std route.....they're not THAT hard......and you likely ride at a pace where you can fit them into the time window......so go for it :good: .......the only reason Roger and I aren't riding the hardways is because we promoted this ride to entice everyone on any bike to come out and explore with us.....we get a lot of satisfaction introducing friends to new areas regardless of terrain/difficulty......

Please send me a PM confirming you're "in", educating me on what equipment you have (GPS/VX-170), and telling me which group to drop you into......I’ll continue to update this post…..I realize folks may switch subgroup affiliation come game day but it helps a bit to have some general info up front….especially in terms of who has Garmin GPS units & VX-170 Radios (if you have both, congratulations - you automatically quality as potential Point/Sweep riders :o:D )....

1. Crawdaddy - GPS - Radio – CTR Point/Sweep

2. Jarrett (unsure) – GPS – BTW

3. Strega – GPS – Radio – CTR Point/Sweep

4. Zenosan - CTR

5. Fakename – GPS – Radio – BTW Point/Sweep

6. Tlking6 - CTR

7. tntmo - BTW

8. Joliet – GPS BTW

9. Jaynen – GPS CTR

10. Bagstr – GPS CTR

11. Kris - ?

12. Blind_in_1_ear - CTR

13. Akcooper9 – GPS – Radio – BTW Point/Sweep

14. TomH – GPS - Radio – BTW – BTW Point/Sweep

15. Dirty adventurer - ?

16. Kevin – Ghostriderz ride on their own schedule, at their own pace, on their own route……they’re rarely seen…..

17. N2TM – GPS - BTW

18. HumptyThumpty – GPS – BTW (if on 530….CTR if on 990)

19. Grantzilla - CTR

20. xxxinsd – GPS - Radio - BTW (Point/Sweep BTW)

21. No Shift - CTR

22. Erick - BTW

23. TrophyHunter – BTW

24. Bikeslut – GPS - Radio (borrowed from Fake name) – BTW point/sweep

Others?

Hi Chris,

I am confirmed with the CTR group on my 84 Honda XL250R (with new heavy duty tubes, Pirelli MT410 on the front and Dunlop D606 on the back). Whatever happened to maps? I don't have a GPS and only a Motorola VFR radio. Doesn't sound like it will be of any use with your radios. Also, years ago I spent a lot of time Husky riding the Red Mountain area with my brother so if I see an opportunity for a short BTW diversion I will let you know. But I plan to stay with the CTR group though because I want to enjoy the scenery and the company. Also I may be needed to Pontificate on the tedious details of the Vintage Husky. :D

The only possible problem is weather, I will be driving back from Page the day before and will be passing through Barstow. I will make my weather wuss call then.

Don

I am working on maps to have at the event. The original post has a few links to maps that can be printed but they are pretty wide.

Also, years ago I spent a lot of time Husky riding the Red Mountain area with my brother so if I see an opportunity for a short BTW diversion I will let you know

Sounds good....I plan on setting some waypoints when I see areas I'd like to explore on my next trip out to that area.....I doubt we'll have enough time to "add" to the pile on this trip.....

I am working on maps to have at the event. The original post has a few links to maps that can be printed but they are pretty wide.

Hi Roger,

That would be a great help to hand out to obsolete riders like myself. I am used to just watching the terrain I pass through and can usually backtrack with no trouble. It is also nice to know that if you head west you run into 395 and if you head south you run into 58. I like to study a map and have it in my head before I go.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Don

I have a Garmin Rhino and have tore my house apart looking for the data cable. I have found lots of cool stuff that I havent seen for years but my data cable is MIA.

Anybody have one that they can bring on Friday?

I have a Garmin Rhino and have tore my house apart looking for the data cable. I have found lots of cool stuff that I havent seen for years but my data cable is MIA.

Anybody have one that they can bring on Friday?

Data cable for most of them at least mine is just a usb 2.0 cable. Same one is used for a lot of digital cameras and non ipod mp3 players