ShocknAwe

Ocotillo Wells 11/09/2008

Bikeslut drops out of his season opener at Ocotillo Wells the day before the ride. I show up at Ozzy's at 6:30 a.m., but there is no Ozzy and nothing orange on his truck except a sticker. Call xxxinsd who is already out at Ocotillo Wells eating breakfast having camped there the night before. He says it is too windy to ride and people are bailing (apparently Blu Inn has WiFi). To me, however, that is like saying it is too wet or muddy to ride - not.

I arrive at the staging ground around 8:10 a.m. to find xxxinsd, his wife (who drove quad fast with no pads), Papalex, Dig Dug and his son Mickey, and EDog. SDLineman and his son arrive at the same time. At this point, no one is putting on gear or saddling up their horses. There is a lot of talk about it being too windy. Say what? This was a once in lifetime chance to star in a movie called Twister II. So I said, "Hammer would not bail because of a little wind." Then it was on. Only Papalex, the same guy I have seen climb gnarly hills effortlessly, bailed. In previous posts about Sand Riding 101, no one mentioned that you lean into the wind.

We ate lunch at the crowded Blu Inn. This was a great ride. Hundreds of RVs and off-road vehicles were in Ocotillo Wells this weekend. Dig Dug and his son ran lead and sweep with their VX170 radios. There were even a few mud spots with big puddles. Below are some unedited video clips shot with my new Vholdr (awesome camcorder). Due to Bikeslut's absence, I was the designated bikeslutter/videographer.

Sandstorm - watch the sign shake in very beginning - 1 min

Shock's Wipeout - everyone loves a crash (admit it) - 29 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTxkIG4Rimo

Motocross Track - 3 minutes

Ridge Riding - 01:33

Steep Drop In - 01:45

Open Wash - 1 minute

Classic Wash - 01:45

Sandstorm Chase - 01:25

Blistering Sandstorm - 2 minutes

post-5435-1226329191_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329204_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329214_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329228_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329245_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329259_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329278_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329299_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329310_thumb.jpgpost-5435-1226329326_thumb.jpg

I'm proud of you guys for saying "f it; we're here, we're riding!"

sorry about the last minute bail; Paul, put your # in contact info and we couldve called you

glad you guys had an adventure!

It was railing in San Diego proper...I was wondering if the desert was going to be hurricane-quality stuff. Don't people usually pay good money for dermabrasian anyways? I hope at least your faces feel rejuvenated without that extra layer. :)

Great ride! I just couldn't stomach the thought of leaving my trucks paint in OW. :lol: How did the vehicles look?

Glad you guys had fun, but I stand by my decision to ride in some rain and no sand cloud :lol: I have ridden in enough sand storms in the desert for one life time. :lol:

Anybody else notice a strong static discharge in their clutch and brake levers from all the blowing sand? We rode through Superstition around 1130. In Occotillo over lunch Ken and I were remarking how many times our bikes shocked us during our transit through the storm.

Kool stuff I am thinking of going out this weekend I was over at NCY today and signed a sign up sheet for free food this weekend. don't know if you gotta sign to eat or not?

shockman nice video's maybe tilt your camera up a little bit on some of those, sandstorm footage good torture test for equipment

:lol:

Anybody else notice a strong static discharge in their clutch and brake levers from all the blowing sand? We rode through Superstition around 1130. In Occotillo over lunch Ken and I were remarking how many times our bikes shocked us during our transit through the storm.

The only time that I ever got shocked by a bike was when I was riding this old Kawasaki observed trials bike through a mud bog. The bike got covered by a layer of mud and so did I. I kept getting shocked through the levers after that, and couldn't wait to get off of the machine. I guess current from the electrical system was somehow being conducted through the mud. :lol:

sorry about the last minute bail; Paul, put your # in contact info and we couldve called you

I PM'ed you and Ozzy my phone #. Can u put it in the members section for me? I am too old to remember that many passwords and have half a dozen other work related passwords to remember.

I PM'ed you and Ozzy my phone #. Can u put it in the members section for me? I am too old to remember that many passwords and have half a dozen other work related passwords to remember.

you better remember me on Secretary's Day

get joe to do it :D