Sign in to follow this  
Gbus Crisis

Strom in the Desert: Saturday October 25

Ride reports are best when two things happen:

1) You have exciting pictures to share

2) You have an exciting story to share

You can have decent ride report when you only have one of the above, and then you have this ride report where I have neither.

I met Ken (RSDWR) at the Lake Jennings Park N Ride at 9:00. We discussed our route options as we waited for Joe (Joe). Before the ride Otay Mountain was suggested to me as route appropriate for our bikes and skill set. And although it wasn't the hot, sandy desert Ken was OK with it. After a bit we decided Joe wasn't going to make it (he had reported earlier that could be the case) so we geared up and headed towards the Thousand Trails RV Resort.

The road we wanted had an open gate, ... <self censored> ... gate with revolution in our hearts and shook our fists in defiance to the cheers of a thousand RVers on a thousand trails!

What? That happened. It's true. <_<

The road was in great condition, as far as dirt/gravel mountain roads go. It wasn't an effortless ride, but not taxing either. You had to keep an eye on the road or it'd kick you around but you could also look around quite a bit at the fabulous views the route provided.

We couldn't tell if they were hunters or MinuteMen or what :lol: , but there were several civilian SUVs parked on the side of the road with no one in them. The people we did see associated with these cars were all wearing camouflaged gear. Not the military spec'd camo, the trees and ducks camo.

At one point along the route there was another section ... <self censored> ... as the road ahead was wonderful (and essential to completing the route).

There were only a few sections of the route that were more tough than fun, but they were short enough and quickly passed.

The route was about 25 miles and it took us just over two hours to complete it. I'd call it "mostly easy and pretty darn scenic".

The coolest thing that happened: we had just finished the route coming down the long series of switchbacks that drops you out on Highway 94 just east of Barret Junction. As we approach the 94 we see that its gated. And the gate closed. And the gate is locked. Our hearts are heavy with the idea of riding the two hours back, and we frantically search for ways around the gate, or maybe -- just maybe -- we can slide the bikes under the gate without too much damage, or . . . and then the cool thing happens.

We are just about to stop in front of the gate to discuss our options when a Border Patrol vehicle stops at the gate. The driver gets out, unlocks the gate, opens it for us and waves us by. :D What luck!

We take a quick shot down the 94 back into Jamul for some lunch. We try to eat at the Greek Sombrero, but its closed. However, there is a small sandwich deli right next door -- the Bravo Cafe. The menu is sparse with just a few meat choices for your sandwich but what they lack in variety the make up for in quantity. Even though they are made with normal, grocery store bread, the sandwiches cover a plate. And they are stacked. My sandwich had over an inch of meat piled on it! Pretty darn tasty too.

Ken had to buy me lunch, cause the Bravo Cafe doesn't take the new fangled plastic money. :lol:

So, great ride, great lunch, great luck and bikes that stayed on two wheels the entire time. :lol: What more could you ask for? Besides pictures?

It was great meeting Ken. An easy going guy without any hang-ups. I hope to ride with him again.

[Edited to more better comply with forum posting guidelines]

dam you mean i rode all the way to warner springs when there was a ride 5 mins from my house dammit shock!

looks like you guys had fun ill read the rest of the informal rides next time..

xxx