Chief Gunner

Maintenance day, get the bike ready for this season

It's been awhile since I had a Maintenance day and with the riding season just around the next corner (we all know it gets allot more active around here when the weather cools off). I thought I'd offer up to host another maintenance day at my house.

It's kind of turning into an annual event now :) It's a good chance for some of us to re-connect and meet the newer members and start scheming up rides and trips. :o

The two or three I've had before worked out well, less one broken leg on the post maintenance shake down ride up Vejas Grade :)

Oil changes, tune-ups, suspension settings, valve adjusts and the usual "Add on" goodies made up the last ones.

Here's a pic of the last Maintenance day we had here.

141-4170_IMG.jpg

Sometimes riders who miss the group meet up show up to go on a ride and have to do a little fixing before we take off to go ride, like this guy :)

137-3738_IMG.jpg

Of course I'll fill the cooler up and fire up the grill for burgers, hot links, dogs, chicken and whatever too. Bringing your own stuff to share is always cool too.

So how does the 2nd Saturday of Sept sound? I'm flexible let me know what works.

My contact info and address are posted in the members only contact thread or you can always shoot me a PM for my phone numbers and address so you can get google or whatever directions from the web.

Aaron

Second weekend = MSF,BRC.

I could come by after.

Sounds like a great idea. Hopefully I will be able to make it whenever it is if it ends up on sat the 13th or gets moved.

MMMMM....LUMPIA :) I didnt see lumpia on the list, who do I talk to over there...Cash talks.... :o

Aaron, I will bring my valve shim set, in case someone wants to do a valve check/adjust on their Husky or DRZ, it is the 9.48mm set. :) Ken

MMMMM....LUMPIA :D I didnt see lumpia on the list, who do I talk to over there...Cash talks.... :)

As soon as I know roughly how many will show I'll place the order for Lumpia with the Mrs. Thinking we will go 50/50 with 50% being the Jalepino variety :) and the other half being the regular :D

Good call Ken, great idea for riders to pool resources to help a Brutha or Sista out.

MMMMM....LUMPIA B) I didnt see lumpia on the list, who do I talk to over there...Cash talks.... :lol:

As soon as I know roughly how many will show I'll place the order for Lumpia with the Mrs. Thinking we will go 50/50 with 50% being the Jalepino variety :huh: and the other half being the regular B)

Good call Ken, great idea for riders to pool resources to help a Brutha or Sista out.

Hey Gunner, Man i just got a phone call from Eagle Mike, he is having one the same day. I need to change out the DOO on the KLR and learn a few things about this bike.

I would like to make it to your next one, I'll make killer fish tacos for everyone.

Do NOT pass up the opportunity to do the doo... especially with Eagle Mike hisself...

That's what happened to my KLR :huh:

Do it, and everything else on the KLR is pretty bulletproof...

see ya at the next one tuna

How set are we on the date. I can’t make that date (13th) but I do believe I have the next weekend off. It sounds like Car guy and bluefin2na are busy on the 13th as well. Anyway we can move the date? :huh:

How set are we on the date. I can’t make that date (13th) but I do believe I have the next weekend off. It sounds like Car guy and bluefin2na are busy on the 13th as well. Anyway we can move the date? :huh:

I'd like to make one but I'm also busy on the 13th (company picnic). In fact I'm booked on Saturdays in September until the 27th. But don't let me affect the date I'll try for the next one if it works out.

I'm flexible , so if more people can make it on say the 20th than the 13th than the 20th it is :ph34r:

Plenty of time to plan for any work needed on the bikes.

Motoworld, Cycle Gear, Veys and other shops are all close by. I usually get my 10- 40W Castrol and filter for the pig at the Kragen just down the street (as well as the cheapest beer in town at Rite Aid :( )

So if any of you are thinking of doing some mods or parts replacements, you've got time to get your stuff on order .

So now the date is set, we call meet up at my house around 9:30-10:00 A.M and start turning some wrenches.

I've placed the order with the Mrs. for the Lumpia and Pancit too :lol:

See ya's there!

Aaron

I love Chief's Maintenance Days.

I can eat, drink, and watch people work all day...

I can even help point at stuff on occasion... :ph34r:

I'm going to need a big maintenance day about the middle of November, sure hope the gas stabilizer stuff works and the wife is charging the batteries like I keep reminding her to.

Wish I could join you, have fun.

Good Morning everyone; Just Checking in, been awhile since I posted.

So on Saturday 20 September I will host a maintenance day / get together at my place.

Feel free to network among the riders here for resources (special tools, repair manuals, parts & part sources) so you can complete a needed project. I have a pretty simple and basic assortment of tools which has proven to be enough to get most jobs done but I do lack some of the special tools that are required for work on forks and some other things bike related.

My wife has agreed to make some Philipino food (Pancit and Lumpia) in response to SCHWINN's request :lol:

I am open to ideas and sugestions to make this a good experience for those who would like to come by.... as long as it's reasonably safe and legal that is :D

See you there

Aaron

Awesome thanks! Haven't had lumpia in years. Is there a plan to go riding from your house is it mostly street or gravel or what if so? Just so I have the right gear when i show up :lol:

I keep hearing how easy it is to check, and possibly adjust valves. When I look at the manual, I'm a little hesitant to get started. Anyone going to be there that is willing to teach/supervise me checking the valves on my 99 WR400? Is adjusting all that difficult? I can get what I need if an adjustment on the driveway is realistic. I have a feeling that they're fine, just would like to know how to check em more than anything.

don't worry, I'm relitively mechanically inclined. I've done work on just about everything else on bikes, just haven't gone into the motor yet. My next purchase is going to be 450exc, from what I hear, checking valves is a good skill to have with the KTMs.

Thanks!

E

Tentativly in for a valve adjust on the LC4, oil change. What parts/supplies are needed for first adjustment? Also Chief, could you edit the first post to add the date and time ? Oh and please let me know if I should bring a lift over......... Im near Granite Hills High. Close enough to drop it off before and return to ride back over later......

Spyder

Tentativly in for a valve adjust on the LC4, oil change. What parts/supplies are needed for first adjustment? Also Chief, could you edit the first post to add the date and time ? Oh and please let me know if I should bring a lift over......... Im near Granite Hills High. Close enough to drop it off before and return to ride back over later......

Spyder

I think the Chief set the date as the 20th......not sure on the time........I'd like to learn more about the LC4 engine on the 620A (valve inspection, etc.).....and I definitely need to change the oil after this Denver/San Diego trip......so I'll try to make it with my 620A....thanks Chief!

Update: I wil make a COSTCO run for food & drinks on Friday the 19th. Start time anywhere between 10-10:30 A.M or earlier if you want to show up.

The pig is in good shape but needs to be ridden hard and blown out , since I got the VMax it's been sitting way too much :(

So I was going to do the 8,000 mile service on my VMax. I need to order / buy a shim kit for the valve check and adjust if needed but don't forsee any real issues with any of it.

I am also having issues with Rachel's Husky, the little monster does not want to fire up <_< so I'll be troubleshooting it too, should not be to difficult since it's a viscious little 2 smoker and they usually are not too hard to figure out :D

If you cannot access the members only / contact info and want to come by just shoot me a PM and I'll give you the address and my phone numbers so you can pull down some directions off of the web. :)

So I was going to do the 8,000 mile service on my VMax. I need to order / buy a shim kit for the valve check and adjust if needed but don't forsee any real issues with any of it.

The shim kit I am bringing is 9.48mm and you need the 7.48mm kit. This is the same kit used on the 250cc Honda and Suzuki dirt bikes. Maybe someone will have a 7.48mm shim kit they can bring along. <_< Ken

Got any room for a wheelchair? Think'n about putting a 200 2 stroke on it... <_<

Gunz let me know what I can bring, probably wont have bikes but would like to see everyone. :)

Got any room for a wheelchair? Think'n about putting a 200 2 stroke on it... :)

Plenty of room, I always tell everyone "Bring what you've got" :) see ya there, bring whatever you'd like (long as it's legal :D )

Update: I wil make a COSTCO run for food & drinks on Friday the 19th. Start time anywhere between 10-10:30 A.M or earlier if you want to show up.

Just back today.......looks like Kathy has plans for us Sat morning :) ......If I can break free in the early afternoon I will.....

Got any room for a wheelchair? Think'n about putting a 200 2 stroke on it... :)

Plenty of room, I always tell everyone "Bring what you've got" :) see ya there, bring whatever you'd like (long as it's legal :D )

I have a large collection of Husky, Yamaha and Honda manuals including specialized tools e.g. case splitters, flywheel pullers etc.. I am familiar with many of the Husky engines. What model are you having trouble with?

Don

Not sure of the model no. (I'll get it off the bike when I get home) I bought it from Tree for my daughter around last December, it's been a great reliable bike....I need to try re-packing the exhaust to see if that might be the cause (too much back pressure ;) ) It just does not want to fire up when you kick it.

Manufacturer: Husqvarna

Model Year 2001

Model CR125

ENGINE

Engine 125cc, Liquid-Cooled, Single Cylinder, 2-stroke, HTS exhaust power valve

Displacement 125cc

Bore x Stroke 54mm x 54.5mm (Tree had the top end re done by Veys in Lakeside and it's got a Weisco Piston in it now so I'm not sure what the bore is, I'll check the box it came in....

Ignition Digital C.D.I.

DIMENSIONS

Weight 198.4 lbs.

Wheelbase 57.1"

Fuel Capacity 2.24 gal. (my daughters bike has a desert tank)

Seat Height 35.8"

DRIVETRAIN

Transmission 6-speed

Suspension Front: Upside-down Telescopic Hydraulic Fork with Advanced Axle

Rear: Progressive "Soft Damp" with Hydraulic Single Shock Absorber

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES

Brakes Front: Disc Brake

Rear: Disc Brake

Tires Front: 80/100-21"

Rear: 100/90-19"

2001cr125.jpg