Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

KTM 950 Super Enduro

Doug, Roger and I have probably been driving some of you crazy with all this "Adventure bike" talk......I know this site is the San Diego "Adventure Riders" but our collective bias seems to be towards dual sport bikes......Roger's provocative, "Which Adventure Bike" thread was fun for me.......but then I got to thinking (dangerous ;) ).......maybe what I'm REEEALLY lusting for is neither another Dual Sport Bike or an Adventure Bike ;):P .......maybe what I'm REALLY lusting for is an ENDURO bike that I occasionally use for long distance adventures because my Dual Sport bikes aren't really suitable for anything beyond LA-B-V type of rides B)

Yes!!!, I think that's the "what (additional) bike to ride" solution (for me)........I think I've just had an Epiphany.....it's an ENDURO bike that I'm after :o:P .....not another dirt bike (Dual Sport).......or "around the world" Adventure bike.....and, while acknowledging my bias toward KTM, I can't think of a better solution than the KTM 950 Super Enduro :):P

Now I just need to go ride one to confirm my gut feelings....and start saving a ton of $$

Propaganda:

Original Dirt Rider Press Release/Review

Specs

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Real World Feedback on ADV Rider that's pushing me over the edge towards the KTM 950 Super Enduro R....feedback from actual owners who ride'em/modify'em.....travel with'em.....yet still take'em off-road where a more adventure biased bike would be quite a challenge to ride/enjoy.....

but then I got to thinking (dangerous :o ).......maybe what I'm REEEALLY lusting for is neither another Dual Sport Bike or an Adventure Bike ;);) .......maybe what I'm REALLY lusting for is an ENDURO bike that I occasionally use for long distance adventures because my Dual Sport bikes aren't really suitable for anything beyond LA-B-V type of rides :P

Yes!!!, I think that's the "what (additional) bike to ride" solution (for me)........I think I've just had an Epiphany.....it's an ENDURO bike that I'm after B):P .....not another dirt bike (Dual Sport).......or "around the world" Adventure bike.....and, while acknowledging my bias toward KTM, I can't think of a better solution than the KTM 950 Super Enduro :D:P

that's pushing me over the edge towards the KTM 950 Super Enduro R....feedback from actual owners who ride'em/modify'em.....travel with'em.....yet still take'em off-road where a more adventure biased bike would be quite a challenge to ride/enjoy.....

Oh Chris, I feel you slipping over to the dark side. Resist it Luke…err…I mean Chris. Darth Vader may be attractive but stay with the force. You’ll find you can do everything you want to do with Mr. Vader plus many more miles. Don’t forget the pillion option, no need to ride alone. Come on Master Doug help me save Chris from the dark side. I feel the dark force is pulling him in. :)

You’ll find you can do everything you want to do with Mr. Vader plus many more miles.

I don't think so.......I'll be able to travel with the Enduro just as I would with an Adventure Model:

950baja.jpg

950travel2.jpg

But "I'd" prefer the Enduro model for these type of activities.....

95013.jpg

95011.jpg

9501.jpg

9502.jpg

9503.jpg

9504.jpg

9505.jpg

9506.jpg

9509.jpg

Don’t forget the pillion option, no need to ride alone.

Seek and ye shall find.......

Passenger Pegs are available

Luggage is available

Windshield solutions are available

950 Adventure already set up with windshield, pegs, etcetera only about 30 pounds more. Same power and performance. And best of all…chicks dig it! That and I need someone to ride Alaska with me. :P

950 Adventure already set up with windshield, pegs, etcetera only about 30 pounds more. Same power and performance. And best of all…chicks dig it! That and I need someone to ride Alaska with me. :P

I almost bought a SE when I was looking. (They had one at MotoWorld and I was torn right up until the moment I bought the Adventure). In the end, I wanted an adventure bike, not another enduro. The SE was less than 50 pounds heavier that my XRL with almost triple the horsepower - and it's cool to boot. Again, the thing I see with the SE is too much overlap with my EXC. No wind protection, tiny gas tank, less comfy seat, plus - have you sat on one??? Don't let the stated seat height fool you, that seat is wider and the springs are stiffer. It made me nervous to sit on one at the dealer. The quicker you can get your foot down with a 400 pound bike, the better. Not a problem for a good rider, but I need all the help I can get.

Bottom line is the SE would be TOTAL BLAST, but would also be an additional bike with too much overlap on both your EXC and your street bike. The Adventure picks up perfectly where the EXC leaves off - and will still do more rough stuff than you give it credit for...

Can you still get the 950 adventure? or just the 990?

The MRA windscreen I have on my bike will fit any dual sport. I would not ride off road on stuff where I need to stand much with mine though its a bit too tall.

Are the maintenance intervals ok on the bikes all things compared?

I am not even seeing the Super Enduro on the KTMusa site right now?

Can you still get the 950 adventure? or just the 990?

The MRA windscreen I have on my bike will fit any dual sport. I would not ride off road on stuff where I need to stand much with mine though its a bit too tall.

Are the maintenance intervals ok on the bikes all things compared?

I am not even seeing the Super Enduro on the KTMusa site right now?

The SE comes in 950 only and the Adventure comes in 990 only. It's essentially the same motor. The extra 40 cc's don't do much as far as numbers are concerned, and people I've seen that have ridden both don't notice a power difference either. That's another two benefits for the 990, fuel injection and anti-lock brakes. I think the SE is discontinued for next year too...

Chris - another thing with the Adventure is that you don't feel the extra 50 lbs. It carries its weight VERY low. The battery is down by the motor, the fuel tanks go almost to the bottom of the frame, and it's very light up top. While it's a full hundred pounds heavier than my XRL it feels quite a bit lighter - even in the dirt I've ridden. Now, I haven't dropped it yet, but I'm sure it's quite a bit heavier to pick up - but with the weight up high, I bet the SE would feel just as heavy to lift. If I'm going to be doing lots of falling, I'll bring the EXC. If I want to ride 100+ miles of street (freeway? - sure no problem!!! canyons? - heck yeah!!!) explore some moderate dirt roads, trails, etc. Maybe camp for the night, and ride 100+ miles home - the Adventure is the bike..

The one thing the SE has is "crash-proofing". Plastics are cheap. Those tanks on the Adventure aren't (I've heard something like $1000 each - and there's two. There are some pretty good crash bars out there (I've got a set) but that adds weight.

I almost bought a SE when I was looking. (They had one at MotoWorld and I was torn right up until the moment I bought the Adventure). In the end, I wanted an adventure bike, not another enduro. The SE was less than 50 pounds heavier that my XRL with almost triple the horsepower - and it's cool to boot. Again, the thing I see with the SE is too much overlap with my EXC. No wind protection, tiny gas tank, less comfy seat, plus - have you sat on one??? Don't let the stated seat height fool you, that seat is wider and the springs are stiffer. It made me nervous to sit on one at the dealer. The quicker you can get your foot down with a 400 pound bike, the better. Not a problem for a good rider, but I need all the help I can get.

Bottom line is the SE would be TOTAL BLAST, but would also be an additional bike with too much overlap on both your EXC and your street bike. The Adventure picks up perfectly where the EXC leaves off - and will still do more rough stuff than you give it credit for...

I hear ya on the overlap with my EXC 400/520.....but that overlap ends when it's time to ride on the pavement ( :P ).....I figure I'll be able to make trips with any necessary/extended pavement sections on the 950 SE since it's a big/heavy twin that will cruise along comfortably on the road carrying baggage and/or passengers and there's NO overlap there because extended road miles and passengers aren't even an option with my 400/520.....and no overlap with the street bike because the Superhawk will have to be sold if I go this route.....

Haven't even sat on one yet but I've heard/read that they're pretty high......they can be lowered from what I've seen on ADVRider.....but probably just a matter of getting used to the height.....and since this bike would also double as my new street fighter/commuter scooter, I see the narrow profile/height as a plus for commuting.....

Looking forward to sitting on one.....riding one......not looking forward to the long process of selling bikes dear to me, stashing/saving cash, then letting go of it....

The one thing the SE has is "crash-proofing". Plastics are cheap. Those tanks on the Adventure aren't (I've heard something like $1000 each - and there's two. There are some pretty good crash bars out there (I've got a set) but that adds weight.

"If" I ever actually get one of these bikes.......and "if" Roger, (?), and I ride to Alaska.......perhaps I'll drop the $800 for a ~8 gallon aftermarket gas tank :P:P

Like I said above, seek and ye shall find :P

I am tempted to lower my WRR just because I think reaching the ground might be a good thing but for commuting the high and narrow profile is excellent.

Too bad they didn't put the FI on the SE

I tell ya after living with my 2.1? gallon tank on the WRR so far it will be a major consideration for me on the next bike.

I would bet on at least 500 miles lifetime for a rear tire :P

I have no illusions about shortened rear tire life on a big/heavy 950 twin.....but hopefully life would be much better than ~500 miles using a DOT tire and taking it easy on the throttle (sometimes).....I'll leave it to Doug, Roger, Randy, (?) to answer that one

The ADVrider LA weekend crew has a few guys with them and they eat up tires. They also throw huge rocks of roost :lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The ADVrider LA weekend crew has a few guys with them and they eat up tires. They also throw huge rocks of roost ;)

The Dirt Rider article, said they went through a tire a day, and that it wasn't a cheap tire. :lol:

The ADVrider LA weekend crew has a few guys with them and they eat up tires. They also throw huge rocks of roost ;)

The one I sat on had a big warning sticker on the gas tank:

"Warning, tires are only rated to 100mph" :lol:

I think that tire wear is controlled by the right hand. But I can see were you could tear knobbies off very easily.

I agree with Doug about the overlap of your bikes. The super endure is a big heavy powerful killer of a dirt machine. You already own killer dirt machines, don’t you? ;)

Just like a 450 or 525 you could put racks and bags on it to hit the road. And that oversized tank sounds like a good deal. Does it carry the fuel lower?

I still think the 950 or 990 adventure would be a better “Adventure” bike for you. But hey as long as we make it to Alaska, who cares?

:D;):lol:

The super endure is a big heavy powerful killer of a dirt machine.

Yes, exactly.....THAT's what's appealing "to me" versus the Adventure Models......As I stated in the opening post:

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Real World Feedback on ADV Rider that's pushing me over the edge towards the KTM 950 Super Enduro R....feedback from actual owners who ride'em/modify'em.....travel with'em.....yet still take'em off-road where a more adventure biased bike would be quite a challenge to ride/enjoy.....

The proof is in the pudding (saddle)......need to test ride a variety of bikes......but on paper, the Enduro appears to be the bike that best suits "my" criteria....

Crawdaddy,

Head over to MotoWorld: They have a 690 and 950 Enduro and a 990 Adventure, little gas in tanks.

Role them out to an open space and lay them down three times each and...pick 'em up. Decide.

Think what you want to put up with out on the trail.

The 990 screen begins to be abusive after an hour or so; remove your helmet visor.

On the Street

The 990 works pretty well with TKC front and D908 rear. With street tires it kicks butt.

I have one bike. the 990 Adventure. It is a compromise everywhere, but I can go everywhere. For anyone other than an expert, it is tough climbing rock stairs or big steep whoops.

Be my guest to ride it if you like.

BAGSTR

272688833_SobPs-M.jpg

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Crawdaddy,

Head over to MotoWorld: They have a 690 and 950 Enduro and a 990 Adventure, little gas in tanks.

Role them out to an open space and lay them down three times each and...pick 'em up. Decide.

Think what you want to put up with out on the trail.

The 990 screen begins to be abusive after an hour or so; remove your helmet visor.

On the Street

The 990 works pretty well with TKC front and D908 rear. With street tires it kicks butt.

I have one bike. the 990 Adventure. It is a compromise everywhere, but I can go everywhere. For anyone other than an expert, it is tough climbing rock stairs or big steep whoops.

Be my guest to ride it if you like.

BAGSTR

272688833_SobPs-M.jpg

How is it 2 up in deep sand. I ride to Baja, on surf trips, fully loaded. Falling over is not an option. we have thought about the 990, but think it is too much bike for a Baja surf trip.

Thanks, Craig.

How is it 2 up in deep sand. I ride to Baja, on surf trips, fully loaded. Falling over is not an option. we have thought about the 990, but think it is too much bike for a Baja surf trip.

They're not two up, but you might want to ask one of these guys how the perform in the deep sand (I hear there's lots of that in Africa)

meonisilverorangesn6.jpg

Or maybe this guy:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

They're not two up, but you might want to ask one of these guys how the perform in the deep sand (I hear there's lots of that in Africa)

meonisilverorangesn6.jpg

Or maybe this guy:

What are you smokeing. Thats not your bike. :D:)

The Video makes the bike look slow and heavy, even with the paddle. But hey,I ride a CR500 with a paddle. :lol:

HH,

That is funny, "two up in deep sand." Ha, ha.

I have quite enough trouble one up thank you.

What are you smokeing. Thats not your bike. :D:)

The Video makes the bike look slow and heavy, even with the paddle. But hey,I ride a CR500 with a paddle. :lol:

It's about as much my bike as yours is the ones that run the Baja 1000...

That's the point...