Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

2nd Annual Bishop 3 Day Dual Sport Ride

I've been wanting to explore the Bishop area for some time now......"now" being the key word in that sentence.....especially after being up there this past weekend on the road bike.....

Registration is $100 before Oct 1st....$125 after Oct 1st......I'm about 93.875% sure I'll be signing up for this ride.....

I'll likely see you there, I already have reservations at the Motel 6. Because I'm such a classy guy.

fn

I've been wanting to go on that ride, but don't have anyone to ride with. If someone doesn't mind my tagging along, I'd be in.

I'm not a fast rider, so if I'd be slowing you down - no problem. I don't even enjoy rides where I'm straining to keep up with the fast guys.

I'd also want to avoid any hero loops. There was a picture on another forum of one of the organizers going up a hill that looked more like a cliff. I can't remember whether it was ADV Rider or Thumper Talk where the pic was posted. I went and looked around the Bishop/Mammoth area a couple months ago and most of the trails I came across weren't terribly difficult, but I'm sure if the organizers spent enough time looking, they'd find some difficult stuff.

It's amazing but so far I have no races on that weekend.

So, I'll either do this or the San FElipe Poker run.

I'll post as the event gets closer.

Gotta see if I can talk my boyfriend into it too!

Oh, don't go to any trouble, I'm sure you'll be fine single :ph34r:

fn (the very happily married guy who's just having fun)

Oh, don't go to any trouble, I'm sure you'll be fine single :ph34r:

n (the very happily married guy who's just having fun)

:( Yeah, I know I'll be fine by myself but I just wish he would ride more with me. It's hard because we can't usually both take the same days off since we work at the same place (our employees need supervision unfortunately)!

But then again, that is why I joined up. :(

I've been wanting to explore the Bishop area for some time now......"now" being the key word in that sentence.....especially after being up there this past weekend on the road bike.....

Registration is $100 before Oct 1st....$125 after Oct 1st......I'm about 93.875% sure I'll be signing up for this ride.....

Hey Crawdaddy look in your AMA Mag last month they also list a dual sport ride ine Lone Pine the end of Sept. ,see you at the Suops this winter.

Reminder, you need to have your registration in the mail by tomorrow to save $25. I'm 97.456% "in" (note the percentage increase :ph34r: )......just waiting for the latest news on my son's grades and his ability to get off work that weekend to determine if he's going with me or not.......pretty sure Roger (Strega) is in too.....

Fakey-Namey/Kristi - Are you two "in"? Anybody else?

Reminder, you need to have your registration in the mail by tomorrow to save $25. I'm 97.456% "in" (note the percentage increase :ph34r: )......just waiting for the latest news on my son's grades and his ability to get off work that weekend to determine if he's going with me or not.......pretty sure Roger (Strega) is in too.....

Fakey-Namey/Kristi - Are you two "in"? Anybody else?

The "ghost riderz" are attending. We are riding to Ridgecrest thursday night. Getting up early to ride to Bishop for the noon start. Riding a short loop Sunday, then riding home that night! See ya there.

2Wheels, it sounds like our riding interests are similarly aligned. I am interested in doing this ride (easy to moderate routes) - taking off Friday to ride up there, riding Sat and Sunday, and then returning to San Diego late Sunday night. Fakey, what are your plans? Who has dibs on your headset?

Here is a thread from their web site http://www.venturacountymc.com/messages.html about this ride:

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:17 pm Post subject: bishop info 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to also point out that last year we ran the routes up hill or should I say up wood cutters. Because of this we had to claim "experienced riders" only because you had to climb up a dry waterfall. This year we are running the routes backwards or downhill which will make the waterfall a lot easier for everyone to enjoy. Don't worry, it's a small dry waterfall.

We also have many easy to imtermediate routes this year, I believe the Benton short and long routes, Coyote flats, the route to Mammoth and the night ride loop could be riden by just about anybody as long as your prepared for it.

What I mean by that is...be prepared. Have your bike tuned up, have a good head light (for the night loop), carry a spare inner tube, plenty of water, some snacks, carry tools, you know things like that.

Lastly, please remember that you can ride one, two or three days and you can ride as many or as little routes as you prefer. It's totally up to you.

See ya there,

Adam

"It's all about the stories"

08' KTM 530 EXC-R (plated)

06' Yamaha WR290F (plated)

Acasper805

Site Admin

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:18 pm Post subject: bishop questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More phone calls and more questions, so sorry about any confusion our flyer has caused anyone. We already have a project to work on for next year!

Friday October 17th, signups will open at 9am and close at 8pm or until the margaritas start flowing, which ever come first. You do not have to be there Friday (see below), you can show up Saturday the 18th at 1pm and still do our ride!

We will open the “check in/out” booth at 12 noon on Friday the 17th. This is when you can start riding the route you have selected. You pull up on your motorcycle to the “check in/out” booth, ready to ride, we will note your rider number and route you are taking and off you go. Return back to the Fairgrounds, ride up to the booth, give us your number and you are checked in.

The night ride option we have is GPS only, you can ride it Friday or Saturday night. You have to start the ride by 7pm each night and you are more than welcome to start the night ride before 7pm if you choose, sunset in Bishop this time of year is approximately 5:15. We will have a chili dinner Friday night for all participants, not just those doing the night ride. If you do the night ride there is a chance you might miss out on the chili dinner unless you eat before departing. Saturday we will have the BBQ banquet dinner and yes the same applies, if you chose to do the night ride you might miss out.

Saturday October 18th, signups will open at 6am and close late that afternoon. Riders meeting might be at 7:30 Saturday morning, but we are toying with the idea of a handout instead that will give you the basic’s, so no need to waste time in a meeting, especially if you rode it last year or you already started riding Friday. We will open the “check in/out” booth at 8am on Saturday and Sunday, you can start riding anytime after that.

Our Dual Sport ride is really “laid back” with a lot of choices. You can party Friday night, show up at 11am Saturday morning to start your ride. Maybe the route you rode Saturday kicked your butt and you want something easy for 10am Sunday morning before heading home, we got that. You can ride one route a day or as many as you can fit in. We want you guys and gals to have a kick *** time, at your pace, without a lot of dust or bottlenecks and you get the beautiful Eastern Sierras in fall! Camp at the Fairgrounds, which is the hub of this event or anyone of the hotels close by. The Best Western, our host hotel and the Vagabond are is walking distance to the Fairgrounds. You could ride 50 miles or 500 miles this weekend the choice is yours.

The reason we would like to have entries in by October 1st is we are a small club, we need to plan, how many dinners, t-shirts, roll charts, etc. I have done rides before where they have ran out of food, t-shirts or roll chart, we don’t want this to happened, but we don’t want to spend a bunch of money and have leftovers, plus the added expense of putting on the ride in beautiful Bishop! Kyle"

Back in August I was thinking of going on that ride, but I've made other plans. Not for the weekend of the ride - for the weekend before - October 10, 11, and 12. My days off are Sunday and Monday - October 11 and 12 which means I'm working the weekend of the Bishop ride.

I guess I should have gone back and edited my post, but I just forgot about it.

I got back yesterday from a trip to Bishop. Ride report coming soon. In the meantime, here's a picture of my son on Casa Diablo Road.

CasaDiabloRdinMirror.jpg

I sent in my registration- thanks for the nudge.

I'm driving up with and riding with with some (horror!) non-members. But I may choose an easier route on the second/third day- these guys are hard core, at least for me. Shock, for rides like these, I keep my second radio system as a back-up so loaner's not available, sorry. If you get yours in time, we can coordinate frequencies if you wish, and if I bail out of the A level rides, maybe we can hook up. Shock, you should have my mobile, others going we should try to coordinate- I don't know all of you, but am happy to assist anyone in need- I carry a fair amount of tools and some spares on the trailer.

fn

what's a "non-member"

is that like a eunuch?

Paul(both of you) have a good ride...

Nothing stopping you from coming along!

fn

what's a "non-member"

is that like a eunuch?

Paul(both of you) have a good ride...

Nothing stopping you from coming along!

fn

is that a eunuch crack?!

multi day rides are probably a year away yet... between my wifes alcoholism, Cody's needed exorcism, and the kids bookie business in danger, I should stay closer to home

plus; that whole A Rider thing scares me

I sent in my registration- thanks for the nudge.

I'm driving up with and riding with with some (horror!) non-members. But I may choose an easier route on the second/third day- these guys are hard core, at least for me. Shock, for rides like these, I keep my second radio system as a back-up so loaner's not available, sorry. If you get yours in time, we can coordinate frequencies if you wish, and if I bail out of the A level rides, maybe we can hook up. Shock, you should have my mobile, others going we should try to coordinate- I don't know all of you, but am happy to assist anyone in need- I carry a fair amount of tools and some spares on the trailer.

fn

Good deal, glad you're "in".......and you have 10 months to get ready for West Fest 09 in CO. on whatever Adventure bike you decide to buy :D

I'm dropping my registration form in the mail tomorrow so I don't get tagged with a late fee......was holding out to see if the boys grades would allow him to go too.....so far he's out......though he may still get to go if he can get it together in school the next week (but the late fee will coming out of his pocket).....if my son goes I'll be on the 620 and he'll be on the 520 (though we may switch when the going gets technical since he's ~80lbs lighter and a better rider than his old man).......or I may opt out of some stuff on the 620.......if he doesn't go I'll ride whatever they want to throw at me on the 520. B):):D

Roger - Did you send in your registration?

Check is in the envelope, will go out tomorrow's mail.

The boy sent me a text that he scored a 47 out of 50 on his Civics test this morning......highest grade in the class......so I'm sending in an application for him today as well to dodge the late fee.....parenting, it's all about leverage B)

The boy sent me a text that he scored a 47 out of 50 on his Civics test this morning......highest grade in the class......so I'm sending in an application for him today as well to dodge the late fee.....parenting, it's all about leverage B)

Kick ass, cuz there's room for 3 bikes in the trailer =)

*EDIT*

Just put the envelope in the mail, it will go out at 12:45, postmarked today to save the $25 I'll put towards gas, hehe.

If anyone has any tips, let me know I know a few of you guys have suits for longer trips

Layers

Speaking of cold......I just went on weaterunderground.com......currently 28 degrees in Bishop :unsure: , snowed in Mammoth yesterday :blink: , Tioga Pass in Yosemite is already closed :blink: ..... BRING WARM GEAR FOR THE BISHOP RIDE .....I don't plan on starting before 8am on Sat or Sunday (earliest) but it's still gonna be COLD.......Bishop is at ~4K' but some of the loops go up to 10K' so we may be dealing with some snow, COLD creek crossings, etc.....recommend anyone coming bring WARM gloves in addition to std moto gloves and some sort of ski pullover to cover your face under your helmet....

I ordered some heated grip elements to wrap underneath the grips on my 620 :(

Change of plans for Strega, Jarrett and I.....we're now heading up Friday afternoon/evening rather than Thursday so we'll only be riding Saturday and Sunday....

So, bottom line......fall has arrived and it's gonna be REALLY cold in the mornings in the upper elevations, BUT long term forecast is calling for sunny days/mid 70's temps in Bishop......the pay-off will be awesome trails/scenery......

Not too late to sign up for anyone sitting on the fence......Go here for more info on the ride: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showpo...amp;postcount=2

Pictures from last year's ride: http://www.rwamf.com/VCMC/

Change of plans for Strega, Jarrett and I.....we're now heading up Friday afternoon/evening rather than Thursday so we'll only be riding Saturday and Sunday....

Ghost Riderz leaving & riding up Thursday afternoon-See ya there on Saturday Crawdad!

I'm out. I do a bunch of volunteer work at the kid's school, and a meeting has been scheduled for Saturday. And I gotta be there- I run it.

Next year, maybe.

p

:blink:

I'm out. I do a bunch of volunteer work at the kid's school, and a meeting has been scheduled for Saturday. And I gotta be there- I run it.

Next year, maybe.

p

:D

Hey Man, if YOU run it....then YOU can change the date to some week night....cuz YOU R DA MAN!!! :blink:

.....are you sure this isn't some "I don't like to ride in the cold" pansie/Sally thing??? :o:lol:

Next year, maybe.

p

:D

Hey Man, if YOU run it....then YOU can change the date to some week night....cuz YOU R DA MAN!!! :blink:

.....are you sure this isn't some "I don't like to ride in the cold" pansie/Sally thing??? :o:lol:

Nah- it's CAMPING I hate- cold, I can deal with.

fn