Crawdaddy

Road Bikes, Dual Sport Bikes, and blues/beers

The Hwy 66 trip report/video that SDLand posted yesterday inspired me to resurrect what used to be an annual tradition of mine - A trip to Mammoth Lakes each August to attend the Annual Festival of Beers and Bluesapalooza AND ride a scenic loop through the Sierra's on my road bike. (Jonny Lang is headlining the Bluesfest this year which makes it even more inviting :D ) Many of you guys have recently picked up road bikes, or already own road bikes, and I thought you might enjoy this loop……it’s one of my favorite road rides.....I've been riding these Sierra traverses for almost ~30 years....

The annual tradition/right of passage started back in 1996 when I stumbled upon the 2nd annual Festival of Beers and Bluesapalooza by pure coincidence (I just happened to be riding my motorcycle through Mammoth on my way up to Tahoe that weekend). Then I led/met a group of riders at the Bluesapalooza for about ~8(?) years in a row before eventually moving on to other things…..time to revisit the event again......especially since Johnny Lang is head lining the event :D )

The usual routine in years past was to stay at the Alpenhof Friday/Sat. night since it's within walking distance from event, great breakfasts, and right on the way out of town on the Mammoth Scenic Loop.....I would generally attend the Friday night Bluesfest, blow-off the Beer tasting during the day on Saturday so I can ride what I call "The Mammoth Scenic Loop", then attend the Bluesfest in the evening.....(alternate/more ecomonical lodging plan is to camp at the New Shady Grove Campground....see details below)

There have been several variations throughout the years, but Crawdaddy's time tested/preferred "Scenic Mammoth (road bike) Loop" is:

Mammoth Scenic Loop to 395

395 north to 120

120 west through Yosemite to Cherry Lake Rd.

Cherry Lake Rd. to Cottonwood Rd.

Cottonwood Rd. to 108E

108E back to 395

395 back to Mammoth

It's about ~325 miles......I generally leave no later than ~8am and return about 5pm since the group usually consists of a mixed bag of riders/bikes and we stop frequently for rest breaks, pictures, lunch, etc.......not a race........120 goes right through the upper part of Yosemite.....very scenic......Cottonwood Rd. and the eastern side of 108 are the highlight of the ride (for me)......uncrowded/fabulous roads....

I generally head up to Tahoe on Sunday........the 150 mile span that is 395 to Hwy 89/88/89/50/South Lake Tahoe is another personal favorite stretch of Sierra pavement....the 18 miles that lead up and over Monitor Pass on 89 are pure road riding bliss…..I usually terminate the ride at Zephyr Cove where I board The WoodWind II for a leisurely catamaran ride out in the lake (picture yourself kicking back on the deck listening to Jimmy Buffett tunes with cold rum drink in hand :D ). (Included that as Track 07 from the intersection of 108/395 up to Tahoe.)

Another option for that weekend for folks who don’t own a road bike, or folks who want to bring both a road bike AND a dual sport bike for a longer stay, would be to ride a Dual Sport loop from Mammoth to Bodie and back....I’ve pieced together a loop that I’ve been meaning to ride....it’s from Jerry Counts Library on GPSXchange (though I tweaked it a bit)……..the first leg is out of Mammoth, up to Bodie, and over to Lee Vinning for lunch and gas (first leg is ~90 miles). Jerry states that the first leg is very difficult with miles of soft sand around Mono Lake followed by a very rocky jeep road up to Bodie. He states that the easy way is also soft but not as bad. The second leg is about ~40 miles of dirt trails paralleling 395 back to Mammoth......the loop starts/ends at The New Shady Rest Campground in Mammoth Lakes.

The attached Garmin file has Crawdaddy's Mammoth (road bike) Loop, the Sunday connector up to Tahoe/Zephyr, and the Dual Sport Loop from Mammoth to Bodie...

Needless to say, there's also great fishing/mountain biking in the Mammoth Lakes area if road/dual sport riding doesn't appeal to you because you'll be bringing non riders or just feel like hanging out/sampling "malted beverages" during the day on Sat.....

So, who's "in" with me this year?

More to follow in the coming months.....

Mammoth_Road_Loops.txt

Mammoth_Dirt_Loops.txt

I'm in, will have the R6 for this trip. Coincidentally, I'll be up there Sept 3-7 at Fish Camp staying at the Narrow Gauge Inn doing a little riding as well.

We'll have to give Steve a call and crash his new place in Tahoe, he'll be all moved up there and settled in by then. My guess is, he'll wanna join us on his Ducati Monster :D

Im in. Bikes only right.Bring what you can pack?

The ~450 miles between San Diego and Mammoth are all superslab (Fwy) :):lol: ........so I generally truck the bike to Mammoth (in air conditioning with tunes) and leave it in the campground up in Mammoth.....might be taking a few days and going up with Super Chicken and KTM.......haven't decided yet.....

Strega and Schwinn are "in".......may have a few others too.......so far that's 2 Superhawks, an R6, a Ducati Monster, a GPZ1100, and - :):o What do you ride?

I spoke to Steve and he's 'in' for this ride on his Ducati Monster.

I'm a definite/maybe

V Strom, and I'll bring the DRZ

trailer space and a leather recliner available

Just talked to SCHWINN I am penciled in with him for the meet up & ride on the VMax.... I will push for the time off so I can make it, I'll probably just take a few days of leave and make the arrangements needed. :)

Just talked to SCHWINN I am penciled in with him for the meet up & ride on the VMax.... I will push for the time off so I can make it, I'll probably just take a few days of leave and make the arrangements needed. :lol:

Cool.....now we're starting to get some momentum going :o .......the road riding up in the Sierra's is the :)

Just talked to SCHWINN I am penciled in with him for the meet up & ride on the VMax.... I will push for the time off so I can make it, I'll probably just take a few days of leave and make the arrangements needed. :D

Cool.....now we're starting to get some momentum going :unsure: .......the road riding up in the Sierra's is the ;)

The Bluesapalooza is one month from tomorrow......Strega and I are a definite "GO" as are a couple of other friends of ours.....Schwinn/Gunz - Are you two still "in"? Anybody else?

I'm planning on leaving my KTM at home for this trip but there's plenty of dualsport riding available up there for anyone who's interested in going but not interested in the road bike aspect.......we could just meet up at the Bluesapalooza events Friday/Saturday evening after we do our respective road bike, dual sport bike, mountain bike, fishing, (?) thing(s) during the day......

I think Strega, my friend Sean, and I are going to truck it up and save our asses the displeasure of ~450 boring "ass" superslab miles between San Diego and Mammoth......we're also planning on camping but that could change......I may be more interested in a bed after riding all day Sat :huh::lol: ..........need to figure that out......I haven't made any reservations yet......

As noted in my original post, Sunday we'll ride up to Tahoe via 89 (Monitor Pass) and possibly take an afternoon catamaran trip out on the lake......I'll probably be dropping down to my folks place on Sunday late afternoon (yet another awesome ~80 mile ride over Carson Pass/Mormon Immigrant Trail down to Placerville).....then riding back to Mammoth on Monday via Hwy 4/89 (Ebbits Pass/Monitor Pass - again :D ), loading up, and heading home.....

So my itinerary will cover portions of of all the bitchin' Sierra traverses.....120, 108, 89, 88, 4, 50 - NICE ;)

.......the road riding up in the Sierra's is the :unsure:

So is trail riding. I'd like to try and make this, but might have a work conflict on 8-1. When are the exact dates? The Bluesapalooza link wouldn't work on this computer.

Oh yeah. I don't have a real road bike - just a DRZ. Just thinking about a 325 mile pavement ride on that bike makes my butt sore. Anyone else interested in trail/dirt road riding?

The 4th Annual / WMRS IV In Bishop CA (7/31-8/3) is the same weekend near Mammoth Lakes if you want to get your bike above 10,000 feet elevation in the dirt on Sunday. I did it last year and it was a fun little trek in the White Mountains.

You don't have to camp with them to ride to the WMRS facility on Sunday, and I have the GPS tracks up the hill from Bishop if anyone needs them.

When are the exact dates? The Bluesapalooza link wouldn't work on this computer.

BluesapaloozaPoster.jpg

Well, thanks for the reply, Crawdad.

It looks like I won't be able to make this one. I'll be out of town for work and returning on 8-1 in the afternoon.

For you guys that go. Enjoy yourselves. You'll be awed by the Sierras. Oh yeah, the riding is pretty good too.

Well, thanks for the reply, Crawdad.

It looks like I won't be able to make this one. I'll be out of town for work and returning on 8-1 in the afternoon.

For you guys that go. Enjoy yourselves. You'll be awed by the Sierras. Oh yeah, the riding is pretty good too.

So we're throwing your bike on the trailer and you're flying up to meet us????? :unsure:

So we're throwing your bike on the trailer and you're flying up to meet us????? :huh:

:unsure::lol:;)

The 4th Annual / WMRS IV In Bishop CA (7/31-8/3) is the same weekend near Mammoth Lakes if you want to get your bike above 10,000 feet elevation in the dirt on Sunday. I did it last year and it was a fun little trek in the White Mountains.

You don't have to camp with them to ride to the WMRS facility on Sunday, and I have the GPS tracks up the hill from Bishop if anyone needs them.

GPS, GPS, GPS.......doesn't anyone like to find their own way to new places, using maps anymore ? ;):unsure:

GPS, GPS, GPS.......doesn't anyone like to find their own way to new places, using maps anymore ? :huh::unsure:

Last time I went off on my own exploring I had a rancher pointing a 12 gauge at me. I'll go with GPS tracks for now ;)

GPS, GPS, GPS.......doesn't anyone like to find their own way to new places, using maps anymore ? ;);)

What do you have against technology man??? Step with us into the 21st century!!! :unsure::huh::lol:

GPS is great if you want to go where someone's gone before, but if you want to explore, maps are still essential (although using a GPS with that map can help you find those elusive things on the map too).

The Bluesapalooza is one month from tomorrow......Strega and I are a definite "GO" as are a couple of other friends of ours.....Schwinn/Gunz - Are you two still "in"? Anybody else?

I'm planning on leaving my KTM at home for this trip but there's plenty of dualsport riding available up there for anyone who's interested in going but not interested in the road bike aspect.......we could just meet up at the Bluesapalooza events Friday/Saturday evening after we do our respective road bike, dual sport bike, mountain bike, fishing, (?) thing(s) during the day......

I think Strega, my friend Sean, and I are going to truck it up and save our asses the displeasure of ~450 boring "ass" superslab miles between San Diego and Mammoth......we're also planning on camping but that could change......I may be more interested in a bed after riding all day Sat :) :bomb: ..........need to figure that out......I haven't made any reservations yet......

As noted in my original post, Sunday we'll ride up to Tahoe via 89 (Monitor Pass) and possibly take an afternoon catamaran trip out on the lake......I'll probably be dropping down to my folks place on Sunday late afternoon (yet another awesome ~80 mile ride over Carson Pass/Mormon Immigrant Trail down to Placerville).....then riding back to Mammoth on Monday via Hwy 4/89 (Ebbits Pass/Monitor Pass - again :) ), loading up, and heading home.....

So my itinerary will cover portions of of all the bitchin' Sierra traverses.....120, 108, 89, 88, 4, 50 - NICE :lol:

Heading up to mammoth 3 weeks from TODAY.....

Schwinn/Gunz/(and anyone else considering joining us) - Strega and I blew off the camping idea and booked rooms at The Holiday Haus on Friday/Saturday night with a few buddies. Not a fancy joint by any means but good enough, ~$70/night, and walking distance to the Bluesapalooza event......

Saturday we'll ride "Crawdaddys Scenic Mammoth Loop" which cuts across upper Yosemite from the east on 120, hang a right on the scenic Cherry Lake Road which dovetails into the always awesome and empty Cottonwood Road up to Hwy 108 (Sonora pass)......then take 395 back to Mammoth.....~300 miles of Sierra bliss (green loop on the attached map)

I think we're all heading to Tahoe on Sunday via 395/89/88/Kingsbury (the first leg of the light Magenta colored track on the attached map)......Strega and his buds will be staying in Tahoe Sunday night......My buddy Sean and I will be heading down to Placerville Sunday afternoon via 88/Morman Immigrant trail and a few back roads to see my folks/spend the night there (second leg of the light magenta colored track in attached map).....then we'll cut back over to Mammoth on Monday from Placerville via 49/4/89/395. (Dark Magenta colored track on attached map)

You guys staying in Tahoe Sunday night may want to consider riding 88/49/4/89/395 on Monday.....that way you'll pick up two more Sierra traverses on your way back to Mammoth......

I'll be on business travel to Deutschland Sunday-Thursday next week.....we can finalize the logistics when I get back......I plan on loading Sean's Ducati in my truck along with my Superhawk.....pairing up may work out the best because I don't know what time we'll be back to Mammoth on Monday.....

Mammoth_Loops_Screen_View.doc

Make that 2 weeks from today....

Revised the "Tracks" attachments in the orginal post.....one updated/current "Road" file for the road ride(s) in 2 weeks and an updated Mammoth "Dirt" file from Jerry Counts library on GPSXchange for folks who might be interested in heading up and riding in the dirt rather than on the road during the Bluesapalooza weekend or any week/weekend before the Wilderness Bill advocates try to block our access to the dirt trails in the Mammoth area.........read about it on this D37 Thread

Revised the "Tracks" attachments in the orginal post.....one updated/current "Road" file for the road ride(s) in 2 weeks and an updated Mammoth "Dirt" file from Jerry Counts library on GPSXchange for folks who might be interested in heading up and riding in the dirt rather than on the road during the Bluesapalooza weekend or any week/weekend before the Wilderness Bill advocates try to block our access to the dirt trails in the Mammoth area.........read about it on this D37 Thread

Make that 3 DAYS from today........again, if you're more into the dirt thing than joining us on the road bikes, I've also posted "Dirt" tracks in the Mammoth area and like SanDiegoLand posted - there's also an Adventure Rider Rally going on nearby in Bishop this weekend....

So whether it's road or dirt that you're into, ya oughta think about coming on up and joining us Friday/Saturday evening for a cold "B" in the fresh mountain air while we settle in for some great blues in an outdoor ampitheater.... B)B)

Make that 3 DAYS from today........again, if you're more into the dirt thing than joining us on the road bikes, I've also posted "Dirt" tracks in the Mammoth area and like SanDiegoLand posted - there's also an Adventure Rider Rally going on nearby in Bishop this weekend....

So whether it's road or dirt that you're into, ya oughta think about coming on up and joining us Friday/Saturday evening for a cold "B" in the fresh mountain air while we settle in for some great blues in an outdoor ampitheater.... :D:D

We're back.....kinda swamped with work but here's the short of it..... 6 of us

traversed the Sierra's from our base camp in Mammoth Lakes during the "daze" :angry: and rocked to some Smokin' Blues in the evenings :D .....Coco Montoya & Jonny Lang were great.....

Here's a short/funny sound bite from a band that wasn't even part of the Bluesapalooza.....we saw them over at Whiskey Creek after the Bluesapalooza ended........really good blues guitar/vocals/piano Jeff Watson band - "She had a really niiiiiiice.......Smile" ;):D

Once Sean and I returned to Mammoth yesterday I used my phone to snap the below photos of my 60CSx......794 miles and 66.5K feet of Total Ascent for the weekend ;) .......the 9.8K Max elevation reading is the entrance into Yosemite from the east (Tioga Pass)....the 7.9K reading was the elevation at the parking lot at the motel in Mammoth Lakes...

MammothStats.jpg

TotalAscent.jpg

I didn't bring my camera along on this trip as I already have WAAAY too many photos of various bikes ridden over the course of ~20+ years on those roads.....I'm sure Roger will post some photos.....always fun to introduce new folks to some of my favorite roads....

This was an incredibly fun trip, a lot of REALLY fun roads to ride and we spotted LOTS of Dual Sport trails that we will have to go back and ride. Big thanks to Crawdaddy for heading up this trip and showing us some really cool places to ride.

Crawdaddy already gave you the ride info, so here some of my pics:

Saturday Morning:

IMG_3437.jpg

GSXR600, Ducati Monster, Yamaha R6, The Super Hawk:

IMG_3447.jpg

The Group:

IMG_3449.jpg

FJCruizin (Steve) and I:

IMG_3450.jpg

Strega, Sean, FJCruizin: (Notice Half Dome in the background)

IMG_3451.jpg

FJCruizin, Samir, Sean, Crawdaddy:

IMG_3458.jpg

The R6 with tail bags on the way to Lake Tahoe:

IMG_3478.jpg

Fires burning as we left Mammoth Lakes:

IMG_3486.jpg

Nice sunset just North of Lone Pine:

IMG_3487.jpg

Blew a tire near Mohave, no spare, had to sleep in the desert all night and wait for a tire shop to open:

IMG_3488.jpg

6am in the Mohave Desert:

IMG_3489.jpg

Sean brushing his teeth early this morning:

IMG_3491.jpg

Blew a tire near Mohave, no spare, had to sleep in the desert all night and wait for a tire shop to open:

IMG_3488.jpg

Ouch........nasty blow out.....bet that got your attention :o ......sucks that you guys had to spend the night out in BFE but I suppose you really had no alternative than to wait it out til morning :help: .......I guess the "Adventure Riding" tag can sometimes also apply to street riding :huh::blink: .......glad you're back.....time to start planning our return to the area with the dirt bikes ;) :i-m_so_happy:

This was an incredibly fun trip, a lot of REALLY fun roads to ride and we spotted LOTS of Dual Sport trails that we will have to go back and ride.

You forgot one pic of yourself.....

Stregafinger.jpg