Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Family overnighter to Truckhaven area this Sat/Sun

The Big Bear Trail Riders held a camping trip over Presidents Day weekend near the Truckhaven area of Anza Borrego……there are some fun serpentine trails out there right near S22 for the kids/quads (you may remember this area from the Sunday portion of the Desert Dash) …..we're going to camp there just to try something new/different (Kathy and her son, Evan, haven’t ever ridden to the phone booth or the Honda monument….have you? :D:drinks: )…..I’ve pasted in a map to the campsite area and attached a word document with a screen view of some the tracks noted below. Also attached a track file as a .txt file……there are some fun/short loops right out of camp……we'll be out there around noon on Sat and will probably stay until mid Sunday afternoon.....just a quick overnighter for some quad tarding and milkshakes.......let me know if I should be on the look out for any others......

Forecasted high at nearby Salton City is 90 for Sunday.....so it should be marginally tolerable :D:party::D ......Hey, no sweat, that's why I have AC in the Toybox :D :dance:

Pumpkin Patch Loop – some fun serpentine stuff on this track (same section was on this year's Desert Dash) with a stop at the pumpkin patch right in the middle of the loop

pumpkinpatch.jpg

Honda Monument – ever been to the Honda Monument and/or the phone booth?

Here's a photo of the Honda Monument in the Truckhaven area:

HondaMonument.jpg

Here's a picture of my son Jarrett stopping to make a call at the phone booth a few years ago :D

PhoneBooth.jpg

I created a couple of other tracks and added in some waypoints:

Artesian Well/Gas Domes loop - this is a cool area……twisty washes

Milkshake Run – it’s a quick ~7 miles over to Super Burger from camp….

6 Palm/Phone Booth/Squeeze Arch – alternate way to/from Phone booth…..

Here’s the map to the camp spot:

BBTRCamping20081.jpg

BBTR_Camp.doc

Truckhaven_11.14.txt

The Big Bear Trail Riders held a camping trip over Presidents Day weekend near the Truckhaven area of Anza Borrego……there are some fun serpentine trails out there right near S22 for the kids/quads (you may remember this area from the Sunday portion of the Desert Dash) …..we're going to camp there just to try something new/different (Kathy and Evan haven’t ever ridden to the Phone booth….have you?)…..I’ve pasted in the map from the BBTR camping trip and attached a word document with a screen view of some the tracks noted below. Also attached a track file as a .txt file……there are some fun/short loops right out of camp……we'll be out there around noon on Sat and will probably stay until mid Sunday afternoon.....just a quick overnighter for some quad tarding and milkshakes.......let me know if I should be on the look out for any others......

Pumpkin Patch Loop – some fun serpentine stuff on this track with a stop at the pumkin patch right in the middle of the loop

pumpkinpatch.jpg

HondaMonument.jpg

Here's a picture of my son Jarrett stopping to make a call at the phone booth a few years ago :D

PhoneBooth.jpg

BBTRCamping20081.jpg

I've always wondered what camping is like in this area for my family. Let me know what you think after your trip.

Thanks

The Big Bear Trail Riders held a camping trip over Presidents Day weekend near the Truckhaven area of Anza Borrego……there are some fun serpentine trails out there right near S22 for the kids/quads (you may remember this area from the Sunday portion of the Desert Dash) …..we're going to camp there just to try something new/different (Kathy and her son, Evan, haven’t ever ridden to the phone booth or the Honda monument….have you? :ph34r::blink: )…..I’ve pasted in a map to the campsite area and attached a word document with a screen view of some the tracks noted below. Also attached a track file as a .txt file……there are some fun/short loops right out of camp……we'll be out there around noon on Sat and will probably stay until mid Sunday afternoon.....just a quick overnighter for some quad tarding and milkshakes.......let me know if I should be on the look out for any others......

Forecasted high at nearby Salton City is 90 for Sunday.....so it should be marginally tolerable :heat: :help: :lol: ......Hey, no sweat, that's why I have AC in the Toybox :beach: :good:

Pumpkin Patch Loop – some fun serpentine stuff on this track (same section was on this year's Desert Dash) with a stop at the pumpkin patch right in the middle of the loop

pumpkinpatch.jpg

HondaMonument.jpg

Here's a picture of my son Jarrett stopping to make a call at the phone booth a few years ago :lol:

PhoneBooth.jpg

BBTRCamping20081.jpg

I tried downloading this .txt file to my TOPO! software and nothing happens to get the tracks and waypoints. Am I doing something wrong?

Three of my friends and I rode out to the telephone booth last weekend. They leaned their bikes up on it and the whole thing fell on my friends bike, very heavy! It smashed his visor. Fun riding out there. Good camping, tons of stuff to ride. There are some great challanging hills.

Three of my friends and I rode out to the telephone booth last weekend. They leaned their bikes up on it and the whole thing fell on my friends bike, very heavy! It smashed his visor. Fun riding out there. Good camping, tons of stuff to ride. There are some great challanging hills.

damn bro, you broke the phone booth? and now are admitting to it on the web. :) you're a brave man. What were your buddies riding a boss hoss? :)

Did you stand it back up?

Did you stand it back up?

Stand it up? ;) .......sounds like they oughta "re-cement it" if they're the ones that knocked it over :lol:

Damn, this thread has some mileage!

Sounds like a SDAR work detail. Pour a new phone booth foundation. What's the policy on initials in the wet cement?

Is it really knocked over?

We better fix that before it gets hot... I'm "in"

JED IS "IN" TOO!!! Isn't he???

I plan on heading out there the weekend of the 24th-26th......but you'd need a JEEP to get up top with concrete/water/shovel.......

Daryl - Have you driven your new jeep to the phone booth yet :lol:

I was up there the weekend of the Desert Dash :lol:

We're heading back out this weekend to camp at the Arroyo Salado camp ground and do some more tooling around out there with the jeep.

Wasn't planning on heading back up to the Phone Booth, but could make the trip if others want to come and do the dirty work . . . ;)

Otherwise I'll be doing Diablo Dropoff and the Mud Caves or something like that. Maybe hit the Slot again too.

post-20-1239747492_thumb.jpg

I plan on heading out there the weekend of the 24th-26th......but you'd need a JEEP to get up top with concrete/water/shovel.......

Daryl - Have you driven your new jeep to the phone booth yet :lol:

daryl; we need recon at the phone booth... Jed... status as of last visual?

I headed up to the phone booth Friday afternoon in the Jeep. Swarms of flying ants all over the place up there!

The phone booth seemed relatively well planted - gave it a good wiggle and it didn't fall over. But perhaps if I really leaned into it perhaps I could have pushed it over.

I did take a couple photos showing that it still stands tall and proud. I'll post them later after I get a chance to download them from the camera.