Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Moab in May

OK, here's the deal. I have a friend from ADVrider renting a condo for the month of May in Moab. He has invited me and a small group to come out and stay to ride for a week or so, most likely towards the last 2 weeks in May.

Is anyone interested in trucking the bikes out there ? Hopefully at least a couple of people to share the expenses. Staying at the condo will be inexpensive, he's just looking to recover some of his cost. Any and all riders must me a minimum of Intermediate Level riding experience, since we plan on riding some tough, challenging stuff....including possibly the 5 Miles of Hell. So, unless you're very experienced on really difficult trails on anything above a 525.......then the bigger bike will not be suggested. I have to take my 640 (my girlie bike :rolleyes::D ), which will be tough to attempt the 5 Miles of Hell with, but I'm willing to give it a shot, since I've ridden extremely difficult rated trails with that bike and survived. If I had never taken the 640 on difficult stuff, I wouldn't want to attempt it.

I'm hoping to get someone from San Diego to drive out, so they can truck out my 640 with their bike(s), and I'm going to plan a few day Adventure Ride on my 950 or Elefant to get out there, then also on the way back to SD.

Not trying to shut people out, just trying to be honest about skill levels involved for these type of ride(s), so people don't get in over their heads.

Pretty much, the attitude will be never to turn back, unless something is completely undoable for all riders in the group. Everyone must be prepared with spare parts, especially spare clutch, brake and shift levers, which you should carry anyway. And willingness to ride at night, long days, etc., whatever it takes to complete the day's ride.

Or, if someone decides to truck out and has less experience, they can always find some other riding, or skip the difficult days or rides.

Group size will be limited....so if you're interested, let me know ASAP and we'll firm up the dates and details.

hhhhhmmmmmmm- other than my obvious lack of skill, this sounds really good... and my boss can't tell me "no" twice can he? oh... he can?

I'm going to try for a week... don't hold a space for me, though...I would bring my truck, and maybe a trailer, so your ktm would have a place to ride...

I have another idea.......perhaps we can make this a "larger" event. A few could stay at the condo, and if more SDAR people decided to come to Moab and get their own places to stay, we could organize a bunch of rides for different skill levels......my friend GPS Kevin has tons of GPS tracks and ride suggestions for Moab, so I'm thinking this could be a larger SDAR event, if people express interest.

Let's see where this goes !!

What're the dates? I've got most of May off and need something to do besides go to Hawaii.

Bob would you wanna drag a Mt bike up there too?

Are chicks allowed? I think my lady would want to go too.

Green Sticker or DS required? Not sure I'll have a DS by then...still working on it.

What're the dates? I've got most of May off and need something to do besides go to Hawaii.

Bob would you wanna drag a Mt bike up there too?

Jon- I feel so sorry for you... you need something else to do besides go to Hawaii with your beautiful girlfriend... I'm a sucker for a sob story, so IF I go, I will definitely have room for stuff.

If this turns in to a "bigger" event, i may bring a tent trailer, and it has bike racks on top, and room for 3 motorcycles in the truck (plus it seats 5)

If I go, I will bring a mountain bike and a DS bike... and real beer (Utah donchaknow)

See first post.....date and details not set yet.

Chicks....only if they're hot :D:rolleyes:

Seriously...I would say if it's only a small group staying at Don's condo.....no (unless there is plenty of spare room, she pays her share, and Don is OK with it). If it's a larger event and you guys get your own place to stay, then all are welcome.

So far, response is light.....maybe not enough people will commit to make it a larger event ??

Strega.....I would say most likely Street Legal if a small group, but if it's a larger event, non-street legal may work.

Depending on what week it is, I was planning to ride Moab on my way out to Ca 1st or 2nd Week of May. I was planing to get a room or camp not sure what is available, have a post on AD Rider trying to hook up with someone to ride so this would be great for me, was planing to ride the 5 mile trail and that rim trail and whatever else looks appealing. :rolleyes:

I'LL HAVE TO SEE ABOUT THE TIME BUT THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD CHANCE TO GET TO MOAB. I'LL BRING A 250 KTM SMOKER FOR THIS, AND I'LL TRY FOR THE HOT CHICK IF THE WIFE SAYS OK. WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT BICYCLES ?

I might be able to do a 4 day weekend in May. I have always wanted to go. I always thought the weather in Moab was like the desert here, May through September = blazing hot. I am an old fart, I wither in the heat :rolleyes:.

I just looked up some weather info. looks like low 80's in May, thats cool :D .

http://www.moab-utah.com/rack/climate.html

Ken

Depends upon my travel schedule. I have a friend in Denver who's been trying to get me out there for a while and this might be the time.

Do they have toyhauler parking spaces?

I've heard it's trials bike heaven and would probably bring the GasGas in addition to the Husky.

Daryl

Any and all riders must me a minimum of Intermediate Level riding experience, since we plan on riding some tough, challenging stuff....including possibly the 5 Miles of Hell. above a 525.......then the bigger bike will not be suggested. I have to take my 640 (my girlie bike B):D ), which will be tough to attempt the 5 Miles of Hell with, but I'm willing to give it a shot, since I've ridden extremely difficult rated trails with that bike and survived. If I had never taken the 640 on difficult stuff, I wouldn't want to attempt it.

5MOH, Intermediate Level, 640 - Those three don't mix!!! (unless you have a winch on that 640) :P:D:D:P

Once I get caught up from being gone last week, I'll post a writeup..

I'd be interested in this ride too... I'll have to work for another pass, but the I've got a date with the the last 3 of the 5 miles!!! (wait for the writeup everyone...)

If I do go, I'll haul bikes and/or carpool as the truck size allows...

Green Sticker or DS required? Not sure I'll have a DS by then...still working on it.

We did two, long, full-day loops in Moab that were 99.9% green sticker (the 0.1% was :)). We did have to truck the GS bike to and/or from the stage but the times were minimal. It depends on what loops he's planning.

We did two, long, full-day loops in Moab that were 99.9% green sticker (the 0.1% was B)). We did have to truck the GS bike to and/or from the stage but the times were minimal. It depends on what loops he's planning.

I'm in, have truck and trailer that can hold 3 bikes easily. Or if someone else is driving and wants to hook the trailer up (4pin lights) then I'm up for whatever. Cya in a couple weeks in Mequite eh?

Hey...isn't there a big KLR rally in Moab sometime in May? :) Gonna go google it...

After looking at those pictures, I really would like to check out the area. I may be able to go with my son and put the bikes on his pick up. I don't think I'm at that skill level yet, but maybe I can join part of the ride... I really enjoy the views around Utah, my last trip to Zion was great!

OK, here's the deal......we plan on riding some tough, challenging stuff....including possibly the 5 Miles of Hell. So, unless you're very experienced on really difficult trails on anything above a 525.......then the bigger bike will not be suggested.

Even if you are experienced, I wouldn't suggest trying to ride the 5MOH trail on anything bigger, wider, heavier than a true "dirt bike", as opposed to an "adventure bike".....

Some areas may be too narrow to squeeze through with a wider bike.....this particular "tight fit" slot is on the easier/RED trail......I don't recall anything tighter than this on the first 2 miles of 5MOH, but some of the 5MOH sections beyond mile 2 may be a different story.....

Mickeyinrockslot.jpg

Some of the required/unavoidable bull dogging was difficult with three people and a 250lb. bike - I wouldn't want to push/pull/drag a heavier bike over some of the obstacles we encountered (and like the ad says, "don't go riding without Your Buddy" (tow strap - much easier to get the bikes up and over obstacles with a tow strap - wrap it around both of the front fork legs just above the fender - we had two guys pulling and one working the clutch/steering the bike.....MUCH easier than "muscling it" without a tow strap)

cruxlookingdown.jpg

How much harder do you guys think it would have been if it were 90 degrees instead of 70 degrees? :) Ken

How much harder do you guys think it would have been if it were 90 degrees instead of 70 degrees? ;) Ken

Like I said in the other post - Start EARLY, stop OFTEN, and drink/eat A LOT to keep your energy up.

With regards to 5MOH specifically, according to reports I've read the ugly stuff is actually about 7 miles in length and based on our experience I'd plan on an overall pace of about 1mph......so, it's basically an all day deal.....the upside of 5MOH is that it's located at about 6,500'(? ;) ) which is significantly higher in elevation than Moab so it'll actually be one of the coolest areas you'll ride in.....in more ways than one :lol:;)

Likewise, although Hells Revenge and the Slick Rock Trail are right in town, all rock, and may be a bit toasty, many of the other trails you'll be riding are up in elevation from Moab proper and located on breezy bluffs.......so if you knock out Hells Revenge/Slickrock in the EARLY morning you'll be fine......stop whining about the heat and Man Up! :D:D

I will be calling my friend Don this week, with the condo in Moab, to try to firm up some dates for May.

Sounds like an awesome ride, but I think I am going to withdraw my bid for this one. I'm on the fence, but leaning toward not going.

Besides all the info from DigDug and Crawdaddy from their recent ride, and the rides I've been on out there.....my friend GPS Kevin has a website that has 5 Individual Day Loops out of Moab with GPS coordinates already laid out.

So, we should be able to organize a bunch of great, different type rides for a week in Moab.

More details coming........

my friend GPS Kevin has a website that has 5 Individual Day Loops out of Moab with GPS coordinates already laid out.

Kevin really helped us out too.....he set us up with 5MOH Tracks and a 2 day plan of misc./joined tracks......we deviated a little bit here and there but the general base plan/tracks he provided REALLY helped us see the area and join up trails in a logical fashion.......already thanked him in private......might as well throw a BIG thank you out in this public forum as well - Thanks again Kevin! ;)

Well damn, I think I spoke to soon about this trip........it's tax time (wasn't thinking about that), and I owe my Uncle (Sam) for the last 2 years, so making Moab a big trip may not work out financially for me :P:(:(

There is a chance I might just make it a quick ride to get out there and spend a week out there, but I have to sit down to evaluate expenses, since I also got invited to do half of the Transamera Trail from Colorado to Oregon in August, and since I would be riding out and back for that, I might just have to make that my big trip for the year.

I'll keep y'all posted and make a decision real soon, before anyone actually makes vacation plans for May.

Throw your bike in my trailer, I'm buying the gas. Now you don't have a reason not to go :(

Throw your bike in my trailer, I'm buying the gas. Now you don't have a reason not to go :(

If you're serious, there's an offer I almost can't refuse :(