We were riding in the Dulzura area on Saturday. They were locking the gates and taking down the "Limited Use Area" signs. The gates are all locked. They are using the fire that burned 15 acres as an excuse to close down the whole 300 plus acre area. I will be getting you all the info and phone numbers so as we can all contact the BLM about the "mis-management" of this area/Kevin

Attention Riders! They did in fact close another riding area. Sunday Dennis and I were going to ride this area before the BBQ2 and it is closed!

Posted Image

There was some writing and a topo map as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am not sure if the closure of public lands to us was legal or not.

You can help keep this from happening, YES YOU!

Did you know the only reason we have the areas that are open now are from the groups and clubs that Fight to keep them open!. These fights cost $$$. Alot of the support comes from NON-PROFIT originations. There was an artical in this months American Motorcycle Association (AMA), American Motorcyclist asking for your help saving our trails.

American Motorcyclist There are many ways you can save our trails.

JOIN! DONATE!

The AMA is about Rights, Riding, Racing

Join the AMA

The 1st of the month I recieved a letter from California Off Road Vehicle Association (CORVA) who is declaring a "Financial Emergency ". They are not sure they can keep supporting the fight to keep our trails open and are requesting Donations. They are a Non-Profit that fights for US!

Join/DONATE CORVA

Join Blueribbion Coalition

There are other support groups.

If you ride the Street, Dirt or Both you need to support your right to ride! :ph34r:

Hi all,I was riding with Kevin and Mike Miani when we found out the area was closed. Did any of you find the right telephone numbers to call? I know Kevin wrote them down based on what the Ranger told us, maybe you could post them so we can all call.

Last time I was there, it wasn't burned.  Doesn't look burned in the pictures.

I posted about this closure a few weeks ago... Fire ArticleThere was an expectation that this area was going to close at some point during the fire season even before this brush fire. What is of more concern to me is it's long term status.

I have talked to the BLM. Only a small area has burned, but they are intent on closing it all. My compromise in discussion with them was to close only the area to the south of the dry river bed. This area is only accessible by one dirt road. Just close this one road and leave the rest open. The BLM is using this fire as an excuse to close it all down. From experience, once it is closed, it will never be reopened!! To call and express your concerrns, here is the cotact info:Janaye Byergo-BLM San Diego Project Manager 858-451-1767Nice person but doesnt have the authority!Gail Acheson-BLM Palm Springs Field Office Manager 760-251-4800Wont return my calls!Mike Pool-BLM State Office Sacramento 916-678-4600Might be the place to start!Tell them to only close the affected areas of the fire, and start managing our public lands responsively!

I guess the area to be closed would be WEST of the dry river bed, not "south"/Kevin

I emailed Duncan Hunter, but it's all pissing in the wind (despite Duncan's sympathy towards our plight, and antipathy towards illegal aliens). The "illegal" fires were courtesy of our Mexican neighbors...the last time Brett, Randy W, myself an others rode there, I saw women ("border aid" or some such leftwing outfit) setting out water to aid and assist these arsonists. I've pretty much given up. There are brand new Border Patrol/DHS 'emergency" gates all over East County roads (Bear Valley into Pine Valley is the lastest, added to Deerpark/Thing Valley/Kitchen Creek/Fred Canyon/etc.). Notice you never hear a peep from AMA district 38?

If everyone can call the three numbers listed, then post here that they called, we can get a census on what type of lobby we are having. So everyone call and then post/THX

All,While a good chunk of the Otay Wilderness area is closed, I found out today that there is still plenty of good riding to be had in this area. I basically did the same route that San Diegoland led us on for the noob ride. Entered at the Thousand Trails camp ground and went to Barret Junction and back. No locked gates.The Border patrol was everywhere and while chatting with a couple of agents, I found out there was a really bad 7-8 motorcycle crash just west of Dulzure with at least one fatality. Sounds like a group of sport bike guys went into a corner too hot and none of them could hack the turn and ended up going over the edge. 94 was closed and they were diverting traffic.Got to sample a new BMW 1200 GS on todays ride and I have to say I found it relatively easy to handle on these trails even with the street orianted tires. I found it to be a well balanced machine with an engine that would be right at home on a John Deere Tractor. It felt way lighter than my old V-Strom even though they are about the same weight. Nice bike.Andy

I was on Otay Lakes Road right after that crash, doing a poker run. I'm glad to hear that some of that area is still open, I figured that at least Otay Truck Trail would still be good to go. Any time anyone wants to head out there let me know, it's a fun ride.