Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Mtn Bike/Dual Sport Combo

Cool- I have a couple of psylo (I think that's which fork that bike has) mounted bikes... nice fork as long as it's not too gnarly... my New Year's Res is to get back in mountain biking shape, so give me a call it you want to hit noble, big laguna, whatever...

I have an old/beater full suspension Schwinn and a hard tail GT that need to be ridden more often.....most of my cycling in recent years has been on my road bike during the lunch hour.....

Perhaps we can arrange a SDAR/family camping/riding/moto weekend at Big Laguna Campground sometime this Spring/Summer? Big Laguna is a nice place to camp with the family because of the trail access unlike William Heise/Palomar where you can only ride bikes on the campground roads ;) ......The Meadow Loop sites are pretty nice, not more than ~$20/night, and you can back in your Toybox for dry camping......I went up there with Kathy and the kids/mountain bikes a couple of times last Spring/Summer........I've been taking my kids there for years because the Big Laguna Trail is adjacent to the campground and that feeds into Noble Canyon/Indian Creek. :( There's also a nice/fun "family" single track near Big Laguna that's close to the campground.....it's a non technical/2 mile down hill bomb without all the knarly/rocky stuff you encounter on Noble so Kathy and the girls enjoy it too......

It's an easy ride across Sunrise Hwy to Pine Valley/Kernan/etc. on the Dual Sport bikes....so you can can get your Dualsport fix in the morning and play/ride with the family in the afternoon.......nice combo.....

If we have enough interested folks we might even be able to snag one of the group campgrounds (not sure when they open them up.......may not be til after Memorial Day? ;) )

Just putting it out there to get folks thinking about a Spring/Summer mtn bike/moto/camping/family fling in the local mtns...

If you're unfamiliar with the area/trails, more info about Big Laguna/Noble/etc. can be found here: Mountain Bike Bill Trail Previews

Yep; that's one of my favorite areas... We should definitely plan that... My kids love that trail, and the tandem can do most of it (not Noble)

Yep; that's one of my favorite areas... We should definitely plan that... My kids love that trail, and the tandem can do most of it (not Noble)

My wife, 12 year old son, and 2 dogs, would also be interested in this. I have a pop up camper. So I'm in.

Ron

It looks like a nice camping and mountain biking area. I'd be interested in going there with my son. Hope I don't have to work on the weekend you do it.

Green Valley in Cuyamaca is another campground with access to mountain biking trails. I've never been on any of them so I don't know how easy or hard they are.

The girlfriend and I would be in for this. I'll let you know what weekends I'm free as the time draws nearer.

Cool- I have a couple of psylo (I think that's which fork that bike has) mounted bikes... nice fork as long as it's not too gnarly... my New Year's Res is to get back in mountain biking shape, so give me a call it you want to hit noble, big laguna, whatever...

I have an old/beater full suspension Schwinn and a hard tail GT that need to be ridden more often.....most of my cycling in recent years has been on my road bike during the lunch hour.....

Perhaps we can arrange a SDAR/family camping/riding/moto weekend at Big Laguna Campground sometime this Spring/Summer? Big Laguna is a nice place to camp with the family because of the trail access unlike William Heise/Palomar where you can only ride bikes on the campground roads ;) ......The Meadow Loop sites are pretty nice, not more than ~$20/night, and you can back in your Toybox for dry camping......I went up there with Kathy and the kids/mountain bikes a couple of times last Spring/Summer........I've been taking my kids there for years because the Big Laguna Trail is adjacent to the campground and that feeds into Noble Canyon/Indian Creek. :) There's also a nice/fun "family" single track near Big Laguna that's close to the campground.....it's a non technical/2 mile down hill bomb without all the knarly/rocky stuff you encounter on Noble so Kathy and the girls enjoy it too......

It's an easy ride across Sunrise Hwy to Pine Valley/Kernan/etc. on the Dual Sport bikes....so you can can get your Dualsport fix in the morning and play/ride with the family in the afternoon.......nice combo.....

If we have enough interested folks we might even be able to snag one of the group campgrounds (not sure when they open them up.......may not be til after Memorial Day? ;) )

Just putting it out there to get folks thinking about a Spring/Summer mtn bike/moto/camping/family fling in the local mtns...

If you're unfamiliar with the area/trails, more info about Big Laguna/Noble/etc. can be found here: Mountain Bike Bill Trail Previews

Booked campsite #20 in the Meadow Loop on May 16-18 at Laguna Campground (group sites were booked).....main emphasis will be "family" hiking & mtn biking......leaving open the possibility of an EARLY morning dual sport ride at Corral Canyon one day before Kathy/kids get stirring.....we'll see

Go here to reserve a spot if you're interested in camping out there that same weekend or a different weekend......I forgot the Dualies Charity ride is that same weekend.....too late now.....promised the crew we'd head back to the Lagunas that weekend

Me and my boys might be in on this one,let you know as date gets closer. Due to getting fat and out of shape my mtn biking may be exclusive downhill and flat land. Back in 80s and 90s noble canyon was like every weekend, I belonged to a group called Hammerheads thru mountain bike whse.

Me and my boys might be in on this one,let you know as date gets closer. Due to getting fat and out of shape my mtn biking may be exclusive downhill and flat land. Back in 80s and 90s noble canyon was like every weekend, I belonged to a group called Hammerheads thru mountain bike whse.

I was probably out there ~15 years ago on one of those same weekends that you were out there flying down Noble.........and I used to always turn up my nose at the "Shuttle Wimps" dropping down Noble from Penny Pines without enduring the pain of the climb up Pine Valley Rd/Indian Creek.........but that was ~15 years and 30lbs ago ;) .......Fat Daddy ( ;) AKA Crawdaddy) will be pimping around the flats of the Big Laguna Trail (and a certain ~2 mile single track that I know of off of Big Laguna :) ).......I may ride the upper part of Noble and head back up to camp via Pine Valley Rd. from the last point where the trail crosses Pine Valley Rd. (about a mile or so(?) past intersection with Indian Creek)......we'll see.....I know Kathy would have NO interest in the rocky ledges at the botom of Noble........and I don't think it would play very well on this "family outing" if I said, "Hey Hon - Can you pick me and "the boys" up in Pine Valley in a couple of hours" :)

I like to join the Mtn Biking activities. Unfortunately, I will be in Torrey Utah (May 16-18) exploring their desert moab wonder rocks.

If you planning to do this excursion in the future, I can offer a free campsite with showers and swimming pool facilities at Thousand Trails & Campground located along Cuyamaca Hwy 79. Lots of Mtn bike trails can be access from the campground.

Have a healthy excursion to all...

Gery

I was probably out there ~15 years ago on one of those same weekends that you were out there flying down Noble.........and I used to always turn up my nose at the "Shuttle Wimps" dropping down Noble from Penny Pines without enduring the pain of the climb up Pine Valley Rd/Indian Creek.........but that was ~15 years and 30lbs ago :ok: .......Fat Daddy ( :declare: AKA Crawdaddy) will be pimping around the flats of the Big Laguna Trail (and a certain ~2 mile single track that I know of off of Big Laguna :( ).......I may ride the upper part of Noble and head back up to camp via Pine Valley Rd. from the last point where the trail crosses Pine Valley Rd. (about a mile or so(?) past intersection with Indian Creek)......we'll see.....I know Kathy would have NO interest in the rocky ledges at the botom of Noble........and I don't think it would play very well on this "family outing" if I said, "Hey Hon - Can you pick me and "the boys" up in Pine Valley in a couple of hours" :(

My wife will certainly play shuttle driver... yeah... I used to ride up the road, and down the trail, but I don't have multiple days to ride any more, so my fitness has gone WAY SOUTH

We're in. (me, Stephanie, and the two kids) I've got an old mtn bike, hard tail, with a dead RocShock front fork.

A few extra pounds on the bike can't make that much difference when we're all carrying much more around the middle we used to.

Got site #15. We booked through Sunday so we don't have to checkout early and can hang as long as we want on Sunday. If we go for some more knarly routes I might have to take my sons bike as its much better than mine B)

/Fred

I said I was interested in an earlier post, but I have to go to a wedding in LA that weekend. You guys have a good time.

Booked campsite #20 in the Meadow Loop on May 16-18 at Laguna Campground (group sites were booked).....main emphasis will be "family" hiking & mtn biking......leaving open the possibility of an EARLY morning dual sport ride at Corral Canyon one day before Kathy/kids get stirring.....we'll see

Go here to reserve a spot if you're interested in camping out there that same weekend or a different weekend......I forgot the Dualies Charity ride is that same weekend.....too late now.....promised the crew we'd head back to the Lagunas that weekend

BUMP - 2 weeks from today.......made your reservation yet? :drinks::D :dance:

This is a nice little circuit that you can ride as many times as you wish and still stay close to camp with the kiddos.....you won't see many others on it.....most folks don't even know about it......they just ride Big Laguna/Noble Canyon :party:

Big Laguna Meadow in the background....self timer experiment with the camera.....

100_0078.jpg

The bottom of the single track at the "T" intersection

100_0077.jpg

You'll need to tuck low to make it under this tree as you climb back up and around on another set of trails that will eventually lead you back over to the fun/family single track downhill (AGAIN)

100_0080.jpg

Im out, San Pasqual High School is having there pre football hell week 50 mile bike ride on may 17.If you thought your trlr is too big I found info for big RVs.Its called roadside loop, really close to shady loop and meadow loop.I will be driving my truck behind the boys as sweep for flats or medical work.

I meant to tell you earlier that I to will have to work that weekend. I'm definetely up for the next one.

Won't be camping, but will try to swing by there on Sunday...

If the family doesn't come, I'll just ride the Strom up, or maybe the truck with a bike in the back... If I do that, i'll also bring the tandem... that lets people without mountain biking skills experience most of the ride.

of course, I'll bring beer and sammiches, too...

I'll crash somebody's site, or pay the daily rate.

snaildarter... how tall are you? I have multiple bikes to choose from... you can borrow one as you drive by on the way there... i am 6' 1"

I have a steel hardtail with a psylo front

a Fisher Joshua with a psylo

and an intense uzzi with a black fork and 5th element rear...

or the tandem... rigid except for stoker suspension seatpost...1 and 1/2" of travel, but it makes a huge difference

or maybe the truck with a bike in the back...

Fred and I aren't bringing the KTMs......drive up in your truck with your mtn bike(s)

Final reminder to any/all that Fred (Snaildarter) and I will be camping with our families this weekend at the Laguna Campground.....we nixed the idea of bringing the dualsports for political/future hall pass reasons :lol:;) ......so it'll be a weekend of mtn bike riding, hiking, and S'more's.....let me know if we should be on the lookout for you .....I'll be at site 20 in the Meadow Loop and Fred will be at site 15......

Also, another reminder that I posted a fun GPS loop from the campground over to an often ignored/unknown/short ~2 mile section of single track in this thread. Check out the various trail(s) with us this weekend or some future trip with your family.....

Slut - Hope to see ya Sunday.....

It's getting to be that time of year again........Reserved Spot #20 in the Meadow Loop of the Big Laguna Campground for the weekend of May 15-17…..you and your family are welcome to join us with your road/mountain bikes and/or hiking boots and/or street licensed motorcycles……

Go here for more info on the area and a link to Gov. site to reserve a spot: http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Laguna_C...dex=CampingSpot

Better hurry – they book up fast……

Motorcycles or Mountain bikes……doesn’t matter…..my son has a hard time keeping the front tire on the ground :rolleyes::lol:

JarrettWheelie.jpg

100_1298.jpg

I reserved the spot next to ya #21.I tried to do this last year but High School sports got in the way. My boys have up-graded their mtn bikes. Kona Stab Supremes with full length triple clamp Marzochi Signature Downhill Bomber forks

Just like last year I will try to make this year too. I'll let you know as soon as I get my new scedule straightened out. I'll bring Julie and try to get some of her friends out there too.

Count me in! I like the sound of that downhill mt. bike ride. I can bring my enclosed trailer for the pick up. I plan to do some motorcycle sessions and hope others are bringing their bikes.

I reserved the spot next to ya #21.I tried to do this last year but High School sports got in the way. My boys have up-graded their mtn bikes. Kona Stab Supremes with full length triple clamp Marzochi Signature Downhill Bomber forks

Good deal.....you must've snagged site 22 because 21 is still showing an "open" status.....that's probably better anyway because it's a tad deeper than 21....... regardless, it'll be quite a challenge to back in the rolling/behemoth "Casa de Schwinn" :lol::rolleyes: ……be advised that the campground road is narrow and the spots aren’t that wide/deep……though the 5th wheel set-up may help you cut it around.......you might want to take a recon ride up there on your Harley or Dualsport bike to check it out......

I see 21 and 19 still available. I might make it up there for a camping trip. I've been promising my wife a local mountain trip. It always seems to turn into the desert though. I'll know by later this evening. Hopefully one of the spots will still be up for grabs.

E

Ok, I'm in on 21. Hope that's OK :rolleyes:....

(does the mtn bike thread have any relation to the BMI thread?)