Kevin

BMW 800GS

1. Okay, those pics verify the lower fuel tank... nice

2. Looks like a tube stem on the front rim. Tubes? That would be nice for trail fixes.

3. Shaft drives are more convenient on routine basis, but hard to fix a catastrophic failure just anywhere. A drive chain is a plus for the remote adventurer.

4. ABS option?

5. Looks like a relatively high snorkel. Check plus!

post-101-1194041273_thumb.jpg

post-101-1194041292_thumb.jpg

post-101-1194041375_thumb.jpg

post-101-1194041462_thumb.jpg

:boast:

Looks like the ABS system is pretty clear in these photos...

There are also making a new 650GS-This smaller bike has the 800 twin motor in it.

There are also making a new 650GS-This smaller bike has the 800 twin motor in it.

Sleeved down? Gearing?

Any news on pricing for the new models yet?

Looks like good timing for me, KLR gone . and wanted to go with something even a little more street worthy than the KLR, but also more dirt worthy. was going with the KTM super enduro, or the 950 adventure but this bike looks sweet, I cant buy s**t till my house sells, but buy then we should know if these things perfom as good as they look.

Sleeved down? Gearing?

Rumors are the 650GS will be the same frame, but with 19inch front tire and reg front forks. The 800GS will have 21inch front with USD front forks. The BMW sales guy has already contacted me. The bike will be displayed next weekend in Milan. Until then, no pricing/specs/etc!

Sleeved down? Gearing?

Rumors are the 650GS will be the same frame, but with 19inch front tire and reg front forks. The 800GS will have 21inch front with USD front forks. The BMW sales guy has already contacted me. The bike will be displayed next weekend in Milan. Until then, no pricing/specs/etc!

I've been eyeing that new BMW.

I don't know what you can get from this:

C:\apps\Eudora\Attach\G450X.jpg

Steve...

post-2031-1194048129_thumb.jpg

:boast:

Looks like the ABS system is pretty clear in these photos...

yeah... can you turn it off? That would be a good question.

This is a very nice looking bike. I think this could replace my Strom (that OTHER good looking bike :boast: )

Where do I go to put down my deposit? That looks like it is going to rock!

From the video it looks like you can shift the weight of the bike back and forth with your body weight on technical stuff, with mine you can't...just too heavy, or you have to put a lot of effort in it, and be a large rider, and it will wear you out if you do it for very long. So you have to plan a rocky section farther ahead, and keep your momentum up.

Also looks like it will have more ground clearance, always worried about casing mine on big rocks. The KTM 950 is better offroad than my pig, primarily because it has worlds more suspension and good ground clearance, also the narrower motor. Mike Miani tried to rip a cylinder or 2 off his 1200GS once in a ride, and probably could've gotten a cheaper divorce than the bill from BMW :)

Anyone know what the weight on it will be? You would think losing the shaft would be about 25 pounds, though I don't think the Dakar with a chain weighed much less than the 1200GS, it's just more gutless :D

And wouldn't it be novel if they got rid of the exhaust system that can be measured in tons :D Quiet is good, but the pig has more metal in the muffler system than a couple trash cans, presumably that could be reduced.

Anyone know what the weight on it will be? You would think losing the shaft would be about 25 pounds, though I don't think the Dakar with a chain weighed much less than the 1200GS, it's just more gutless :D

But what is a pre-production spec on weight really worth anyway? :D

Is that without fuel, without a battery too? :)

The dry wet weight on a Dakar is about 48 lbs less than the R1200GS. Make that about 800 lbs less than the average R1200GS with luggage! :D

http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/milan07.htm

• In the Dealer Showroom: March 2008

• Compact, lightweight concept

• New chassis with steel tube trellis frame and double sided swingarm

• Powerful, tune for torque parallel twin (798cc with 85hp and 83 lb/ft of torque)

• Dry sump lubrication

• Dual sport specific running gear

• Lowered seat height due to narrow design and varying seat heights

• Switchable ABS

• Chain drive

• Telescopic USD 45mm fork

• Wide range of accessories for both off road and touring use

Specifications F 800 GS

Engine

Capacity cm3 798

Bore/lift mm 82/75,6

Power kW/HP 63/85

at engine speed min-1 7 500

Torque Nm 83

at engine speed min-1 5 750

No. of cylinders 2

Compression/fuel :1 12.0/Super unleaded (95 RON)

Valve/gas control dohc (double overhead camshaft)

Valves per cylinder 4

Diam. inlet/outlet mm 32/27,5

Throttle valve diameter mm 46

Mixture preparation

Electrical system

Generator W 400

Battery V/Ah 14-Dec

Headlights/rear light W

Starter kW 0.9

Power transmission/gears

Clutch

Gears

Primary transmission 01:01.9

Transmission, gear stages I 01:02.5

II 01:01.8

III 01:01.4

IV 01:01.2

V 01:01.0

VI 01:01.0

Rear wheel drive

Transmission ratio 1:2.625 (16/42)

Chassis

Frame design

Wheel suspension, front wheel Upside-down telescopic fork,

fixed tube Ø 45 mm

Wheel suspension, rear wheel

Spring travel front/rear mm 230/215

Castor mm 117

Wheel spacing mm 1578

Steering head angle ° 64

Brakes front Double-disc brake Ø 300 mm

rear Single-disc brake Ø 265 mm

Wheels Spoked wheels with aluminium rims

front 2.15x21

rear 4.25x17

Tyres front 90/90-21 54 V

rear 150/70-R17 69 V

Dimensions and weights

Total length mm 2 320

Total width with mirrors mm

Total width without mirrors mm 870

Seat height inches 33.5-34.6

Dry weight lbs 392

DIN tare, ready to drive lbs 455

Perm. total weight lbs 975

Tank capacity gallons 4.2

Travel data

Fuel consumption (MPG) At 56 mph 62 mpg

At 74 mph 45 mpg

MSRP $10,520

Standard Equipment / 100% Options

Closed loop 3 way catalytic converter with oxygen sensor

Chain drive

Complete stainless steel exhaust system

Hydraulic rear spring preload adjuster

Spoked wheels

Electronic immobilizer

Single wire system (Can-Bus)

Power Socket

Adjustable brake and clutch levers

Available Equipment

Comfort Package $475

ABS $890

Clear Turn Signal Lenses $60

Anti Theft Alarm $235

Center Stand $150

Low Seat $0

Available Colors

Dark Magnesium Metallic

Sunset Yellow

My personal thoughts:

I like this bike, looks and specifications. :D I would need to try it first. The price seems reasonable. ;)

I personally would hold off in buying any BMW product until the company is better focus and changes take place. BMW will outsource the engine production for the new 450 (cool looking bike) to Kymco in Taiwan, and plans to buy the engine from a Chinese supplier for the G650 line, in order to reduce costs of production. BMW just purchased Husqvarna, which they plan to leave as is, but may make them re-consider their whole line of 0ff-road oriented bikes in the near future.

If I trade in my G650Xchallenge for an F800GS, I would do it for 09 after Kevin has a chance to try his (if he purchase one), figures out any bugs, and the bike is tuned perfect... :lol: I don't plan to buy first model, first customer as I did with my Xchallenge.

My G650Xchallene is a great bike! Smooth, great power for all situations, comfortable, and fun!!! Great FI (just come too lean from factory tending to stall at idle). The airs suspension is comfortable and good for adventure riding (as long as the mudflat does not rub into the air shock causing it to rapture, something I have fixed on mine with two washers). I'm not sure if BMW is going to discontinue this model, but this is the right time to get it (on sale $1500.00 off) if interested. This bike is not as strong off-road as advertised, as the engine is hanging out without under frame, and the frame is partly cast aluminum. I plan to better protect my engine and banjo bolt with a more heavy duty skid plate. For my type of riding, this model is strong enough for me. This is a good looking quality bike (painted surface), so it hurts more when you drop it and scratch it. :rolleyes: After all my frustrations with little un-important bugs (partly having to do with service dept responses), I have decided I really like my bike! It's a lot of fun, and great for the longer adventure tours like Baja. It has great gas mileage, and plan to get additional gas tank from TT. :D

VP, you're slacking on your updates... I know you've heard the latest news... :)

B)

VP, you're slacking on your updates... I know you've heard the latest news... :(

:)

Yeah, they're saying the release date is now backed up to August, right? I was going to wait until the second year to get one but if they delay it much further I might be ready for a new bike by the time it's out!! B)

Yeah, they're saying the release date is now backed up to August

Hopefully that means they're addressing some issues rather than giving us funky product. Remember the 1200 GS with brake servos ... B)

Guest Hammerin Hammon
Thanks, after watching this video, I realize, I dont want to ride an overweight, adventure bike. I need to modify my 650L to make it a better adventure bike.

Craig.