Chief Gunner

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly with my XR

1st The Good :D :Well I finally get my new Supermotard kit. Delayed on install cause I had to order a new rear sprocket, a new wave rotor, new pads and a new chain.....I finally got it all together and dropped off the wheels to get the rubber mounted last night in Santee. :D hoping to go for a ride up to SCHWINN's later today.

Now the Bad :rolleyes: : So after dropping off the wheels off for pickup today I get home and my parts package is there waiting for me :(

I got my new Ignition Coil and plug boot in yesterday (The Pig has been sitting on the stand since my last outing with Ride Orange when the pig died on me).

I hook it all up, throw the gas tank on and try to fire it up......nothing, so I re-check the coil and boot, they are good.

I re-check the Carb since I took it out and cleaned the hell out of it last weekend, it's good.....

I then did the old compression check, Good....even checked the valves, Good

So now I am back to square one, I pull the plug and short it to the block and hit the start button....

NO "F'ing SPARK again! :cray:

I replaced the coil and plug boot after finding them both dead with my multimeter, so then I think to myself "Damnit you dumb ass you forgot to check the ENTIRE CIRCUIT out".....

THE UGLY:(:(

So in the process of checking the Ignition Circuit out with my multimeter I get to the point where I pull the connectors off of the ICM (Ignition Control Module, sometimes called a CDI on any other bike) and check the wires from the ICM to everything else..

Low and Behold......One of the spades on the ICM connector is FRIED and broken! :lol: Looks like vibration may have cause it but it still should not have broke like it did.

That little POS spade that broke, caused an arc and shorted out my entire "F'ing" Ignition System!

I'll be going by Motoworld to see if my extended warranty covers this, I need to finish checking the entire wire harness and all the ignition related components with my multimeter when I get home today.

The wiring Harness for the XR650L is $289.00 at Bike Bandit.....I have been searching online and cannot find the ICM / CDI, can't wait to see how much that's gonna burn my ass for.

So the Saga continues... 4 failures in a year and a half now with only 8K on the odometer. I really cannot complain too much, I love my pig but she's like anything else, if you ride 'em hard they will break! Ha!

Here is my running track record of "Breaks"

1. Busted the left crankcase cover (riding offroad before I got a skid plate)

2. Threw a chain at the DD

3. Starter Motor went (warranty covered it thankfully)

4. Now this....

Anyone know a good source for Japanese bike electrical Components (Pins, connectors etc)?

Looks like I'll be catching up on some projects around the house while I'm waiting for parts and repair :bad:

K&L Supply carries all sorts of OEM Japanese style connectors. The are not open to the public qnd you will have to find a motorcycle shop that does business with them and look through the K&L catalog and order through that shop. I order my K&L stuff through North County Yamaha. The parts are expensive, but very good quality.

Thank you Mimi !

I'll keep that in mind. I do allot of electrical pins, connectors, soldering and the like at work. Like anything else when you do a repair job it helps to have the right "unit" specific parts on hand.

Aaron

Plus the chain fell off and The rock magnet inside the engine made your case break. Thats why I like KTMs, They use higher quality materials than the Jap Bikes and come set up with all the mods already done (skid plates, good breaks, good suspension). Maybe It is time for you to go Orange.

My Honda street bike is notorious for eating stator rectifiers.

Plus the chain fell off and The rock magnet inside the engine made your case break. Thats why I like KTMs, They use higher quality materials than the Jap Bikes and come set up with all the mods already done (skid plates, good breaks, good suspension). Maybe It is time for you to go Orange.

Yeah Yeah Yeah :( like I mentioned earlier: " I really cannot complain too much, I love my pig but she's like anything else, if you ride 'em hard they will break!" :bad::(

At least it didn't catch on fire like one KTM I know of....... :rolleyes: :cray: (nothing but love okay Bro!)

Since my day is already screwed: BLING BASHING FORUM NOW! :(:lol:

:rolleyes: Uh-OH!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I still cant understand why all those guys on Orange bikes like to ride behind me, they must like the taste of dirt. :cray: :rolleyes::(

I dont know if I ever admitted to you guys but my wiring harness caught fire cuz I installed a steering stabilizer and pinched wires in the process and thus shorting. The good thing is KTM 3 Bros in temecula fixed it all and replaced it with a new harness for $289.00...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I dont know if I ever admitted to you guys but my wiring harness caught fire cuz I installed a steering stabilizer and pinched wires in the process and thus shorting. The good thing is KTM 3 Bros in temecula fixed it all and replaced it with a new harness for $289.00...

So you had to add that. Kip says a KTM comes with everything :rolleyes: I thought you also had to change the pipe,carb,and some plumbing isiues. :cray:

So you had to add that. Kip says a KTM comes with everything :rolleyes: I thought you also had to change the pipe,carb,and some plumbing isiues. :cray:

Desmog it front to rear

new suspension cuz I weigh 260lbs

big tank

tall seat

new pipe

rape carberator

foot pegs

full skid plate

steering stabilizer

frivolous bling crap

1 spare rear wheel w/ paddle for glamis

2 supermoto 17"wheels w/ comp tires

all supermoto accessories

all front and rear wheels come w/sprockets, rotors, spacers etc

Dont get me started cuz off the showroom floor my boys kx100 was quicker cuz all the smog crap.

WHOS KIP?

I dont think there will be any disagrement on which manufacture-Honda vs KTM-which one is more reliable.

Please not another "US vs THEM" riff...... :rolleyes:

Everything made by man can and will break eventually, I consider it part of the fun of it all! :cray:

Kip says a KTM comes with everything

WHOS KIP?

Probably just another KTM riding Jerk that thinks his bike is better than everyone else's. Look what Gunner Started!!! :rolleyes: :cray:

I had a CDI fail on my XR650L when I owned it. Luckily I had picked up a complete parts bike for $200 and it's CDI was good. Electrical parts are always expensive.

Hey, your weekend could have been worse....did you see the pictures of my buddies Yamaha piston? That will really ruin your day.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

WHOS KIP?

Probably just another KTM riding Jerk that thinks his bike is better than everyone else's. Look what Gunner Started!!! :rolleyes: :cray:

Kip started it. :bad::(:lol:

WHOS KIP?

Kip started it. :bad::(:lol:

OK- KIP, Hammer and Gunner... go to your rooms... and no video games, either! Don't make me come in there!

Desmog it front to rear

new suspension cuz I weigh 260lbs

big tank

tall seat

new pipe

rape carberator

foot pegs

full skid plate

steering stabilizer

frivolous bling crap

1 spare rear wheel w/ paddle for glamis

2 supermoto 17"wheels w/ comp tires

all supermoto accessories

all front and rear wheels come w/sprockets, rotors, spacers etc

Dont get me started cuz off the showroom floor my boys kx100 was quicker cuz all the smog crap.

WHOS KIP?

:(

I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A HONDA WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES I BOUGHT :(:lol::bad:

I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A HONDA WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES I BOUGHT :rolleyes: :cray: :bad:

At least your KTM came with a real skid plate from the factory. Sure you can load-up any bike with spare wheels and aftermarket accessories but the KTMs are a much more capable and off-road-ready machine directly off of the factory floor. The XR/XLs, DRs, and KLRs require the purchase of aftermarket accessories to bring them up to the level of a stock KTM. :( Oh Yea -- Gunner Started it by Whining about his BRP :lol:

Oh damn, "Look what I did" (Stewart on Madd TV) :rolleyes:

You would think the firestorm last week was enough! :cray: :lol:

Seriously All ; I just want to share what I am am going through in hope that it may "Help a brother or Sister out"

It's all good & fun till someone's feelings get hurt!

I'll throw some pics up as soon as I find that damn camera!

Motoworld says my extended warranty should cover it.......we'll see.

It took them a week and a half to fix my screwed up starter last time. Well at least it cost nothing in the end.

I'll drop the pig off tomorrow & keep you all posted......

Hey Cammie, sorry but this is turning into a cross thread between the tech / shop issues. :(

GUNZ

Honda, KTM, Yamaha......blah! They have nothing on this dual-sport. I don't know if you can get any more prepared for off road than carrying two spare wheels.

ural.jpg

Aaron, its not our fault you threw a wad of pesos into a XRL to try and make it a R......... he he he. TURN IT IN FOR A XRR!!!!

Seriously though, you can ride mine for a few months while I heal up if you want.

Call me if you want it.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A HONDA WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES I BOUGHT :boast: :boast: :lol:

At least your KTM came with a real skid plate from the factory. Sure you can load-up any bike with spare wheels and aftermarket accessories but the KTMs are a much more capable and off-road-ready machine directly off of the factory floor. The XR/XLs, DRs, and KLRs require the purchase of aftermarket accessories to bring them up to the level of a stock KTM. :D Oh Yea -- Gunner Started it by Whining about his BRP :D

My friend Jon has a KTM. and he thinks like you, but he has over 13,000.00 in his KTM. That bike is always in the shop, or leaving him stranded. I droped off my bike at Herman tuneing and saw his bike in the shop. (me and the shop owner had a lough about how often his bike is in the shop LOL. :lol::lol: ) Jon thought he was saveing money, (He now Jokes, that he could have bought 2 Hondas) I told him I already did :lol::lol::lol: The only thing KTM has on Honda is that they offer a plated bike that is more dirt worthy than what the Jap dealers now offer. I have spent thousands less customizing my Honda. Its much more dependable than a KTM. I also dont seem to have any problems keeping up or blowing by KTM,s

I wish my Honda came stock with a surf board rack (does a KTM come with one of those) :lol::D:lol:

post-465-1194057304_thumb.jpg

No kidding Hammer. For the typical cost of your showroom floor KTM my XR + a hell of a lot of mods would make a seriously modded and more reliable 330 pound motorcycle for less money. If only it weighed 50 pounds less. :boast: I took a ride in McCain a few weeks back with a bunch of 2 stroke Katooms and I was able to hang with them on all the terrain we covered. They were certainly quicker than me, but I'm on a stock bike with 50/50 tires and they were riding VERY modded 100 pound lighter bikes....

Most of gunners problems were happenstance and could happen to anybody's bike. Aaron, I hope you get your bike fixed soon. I'll be back in a few weeks and we gotta ride.