slosher

Sand Secrets

Can you please share any secrets you have about riding in the sand?

I have not riding inthe sand till this last weekend and i felt like i was goign to fall any time i got about 15mph.

the other riders were flying by as if i was standing still.

I have not riding inthe sand till this last weekend and i felt like i was goign to fall any time i got about 15mph.

The others were flying by you cuz that is the trick, enough speed to keep on top of the sand, if you are in the sand all day lower your air pressure

From the Jimmy Lewis School:

Stand (if you need to dab, stand back up immediately)

Steer with your feet.

Sand riding is all about balance, you cannot fall if you are perfectly balanced.

He made us do drills to make it "sink in" :) because you can't always go fast in sand (especially on big bikes) since there are corners and other variables. He took us to a sand dune area with the softest and deepest sand I had ever ridden. We had to make turns while in 1st gear and barely moving.

Another drill was making us wildly move the bars back and forth to prove they don't do anything. The point was, if the sand makes the bars move a lot it won't matter, so don't try to control it because that may through you off balance. Remaining perfectly balanced and steering with your feet was the focus of the exercise.

Remaining perfectly balanced and steering with your feet was the focus of the exercise.

I always thought it was about going fast and keepig your weight off the front end, but JL can't be too far off base! I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks Brett!

1. You'll be much happier if you pretty much leave your front brake alone, if you have to use it, make sure you're straight, or it'll get ugly.

2. Don't fight the bike, let it move. It will wear you out in 10 minutes otherwise.

3. Everyone hits a cactus once...no one has to tell them not to do it again :)

Remaining perfectly balanced and steering with your feet was the focus of the exercise.

I always thought it was about going fast and keepig your weight off the front end, but JL can't be too far off base! I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks Brett!

There's a place for the "fast" technique, that's for sure! JL focuses on all the other times. His schools often specialize in big adventure bikes like the 950. It's almost impossible to keep the front light on those big pigs, and going fast is sometimes out of the question.

Anyway, let me know what you think ...

Sand riding is all about balance, you cannot fall if you are perfectly balanced.

Obviously, I have never been perfectly balanced ;):):)

At least the sand usually cushions my fall.

Practice, practice, practice. All bikes don't handle the same in the sand, the same bike doesn't always handle the same in different kinds of sand. Just the fuel tank being full/empty can make a huge difference. Have fun while you are learning. Personally I don't have any fun if I think I may be holding a group up, it is just too stressful. Take the time to go out with a smaller group to practice and become proficient.

PM me if you can get out to superstition this weekend, I will ride with you. :) Ken

And that's me the ranger is giving a little talking to in the above picture.

This link here is my advice for you as most of the tips are listed in this previous thread.

Go to the biggest sand hole in the west and ride your bike in it until you figure it out. Superstition Mt. will have a lot of SDAR members hanging out the next few weekends. I've found the best technique is to keep the front tire light, go as fast as you can and don't fight the handlebars from bouncing around.

Enjoy,

Jon

Most all of the newer bikes have adequate front forks, but if you know the klr history, these bikes havent been changed since they first came out. rembember back in the 70's when you needed a fork brace ???

Front Fork flex, (left to right) is the biggest reason I've experienced why you lose steering control in the sand, I see your riding a KLR.... my klr was the worse bike i ever rode in the sand, until i put a fork brace on..now it handles as good as my last dirt bike which had upside down forks,,(KLX 650)

,YES, That much Difference....and Yes i just happen to have one for sale.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The others were flying by you cuz that is the trick, enough speed to keep on top of the sand, if you are in the sand all day lower your air pressure

SCHWINN practices balance on the street all the time doing 60MPH. wheelies. :) Its much more fun than practice in a sand pit. We have more fun floating on top of the sand at higher speeds.

I can balance at slow speeds in the sand but its much easier going fast enough to float on top. I do stand alot more than on hard pack. The faster I ride the more I also stand. I steer in the sand with my feet and also the throttle. Practice, Practice, Practice.

I always run 10 -15 pounds unless on an extended street ride I run about 22 pounds.

I hope this helps you have more fun. Craig.

Boy, oh boy, I can't even start to get control at 15 miles per hour. All I can do is zigzag around with the throttle open till I can attain enough speed to start planing and then use my balance for control. The bars are going to wag around a bit, but that doesn't mean the rider and bike has to :) Try not to chop the throttle; that'll just make the front end want to hunt around and nose into the sand.

This works for me....

Stand up on the pegs, bend your knees, keep your body loose.

Shift your weight back on the seat and don't fight the handlebars....

PIN IT, WHEN AND WHERE EVER YOU CAN!

Remeber: WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE OUT!

Let the bike track, don't fight the handle bars and loosen your grip.

Keep the squeeze on between your ankles and lower legs and counter-balance by twisting your hips while kind of squating down with your elbows and head up and flow with it, once you get the feel it's really a blast! :)

Fast, but not too fast... uhmkay? :)

p4220023e.jpg

:):)

Been there a few times, actually saw a "Ghetto Bird" (helicopter) out there at Ocitillo once and was wondering why he was flying parallel with me, when I hit pavement I got pulled over and the Ranger who pulled me over was way cool about it, gave me a stern warning (not on the XR but the KLX400R I had) ....

He said I wa s tracking through the wash at 75+ and reminded me the speed limit where I was at was only 35.... :D

:);)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Fast, but not too fast... uhmkay? :)

p4220023e.jpg

:):)

Been there a few times, actually saw a "Ghetto Bird" (helicopter) out there at Ocitillo once and was wondering why he was flying parallel with me, when I hit pavement I got pulled over and the Ranger who pulled me over was way cool about it, gave me a stern warning (not on the XR but the KLX400R I had) ....

He said I wa s tracking through the wash at 75+ and reminded me the speed limit where I was at was only 35.... :D

:);)

Seeing and reading this is why I like the tracks,(No speed limits, big jumps, everybody is going the same direction , No quads,ATC,s Rangers,Tweekers,Rhinos,Jeeps,)

Lots of very very good sand riding tips.

I agree with all tips but you're not going to like this.

When in doubt, ride a quad

Sorry :)

Lots of very very good sand riding tips.

I agree with all tips but you're not going to like this.

When in doubt, ride a quad

Sorry :)

Sure, there is a dualsport model quad; it's called a Jeep :)