Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Dropping the knee braces

I don't know about that. I do know that if any one point of your body has too much support, it can cause the impact to transfer the next nearest unsupported weak spot it can find(depending on what type of impact). I remember when the first red Scott boots came out back in the 70s. It took a little while for people to figure out that the boot had a little too much ankle support and not enough "give to protect the knee joints, and alot of original Scott wearers got more knee injuries than they bargained for.

...Whilst landing a triple jump...

Hmmm, coming down off a triple jump with a missing peg... :mega_shok:

=====

I've had good luck with non-braced knee protection. I've had get-offs that have worn and torn the knees on pants without so much a bruise on the knee.

I'm not sure I understand a brace for someone without a need for a brace otherwise. Is it reccomended for everyone (or just competition class MX)? What is the manufacturers claim on that equipment?

After reading this thread on TT - http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300617 - I have decided to stop wearing my EVS Vision Knee Braces. Back to the $30 knee pads for me. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to shed uncomfortable gear.

I looked at the EVS Vision braces, but wound up spending the extra money for a pair of Asterisks. You only adjust them once, then all you need is four snaps and they're on. Seems like it's not that much more trouble than putting on knee pads, but I haven't had a chance to ride with them so I don't know how comfortable they'll be after a few hours.

If a bike falls on the front of your knee, I think they'd prevent you from hyper-extending your knee and tearing an ACL. I've known a few Border Patrol Agents who were running around in the dark up in the hills, stepped in a gopher hole, hyper-extended a knee, and tore an ACL. I don't think the Asterisks I have would protect against something like that.

They don't put any pressure on the upper or lower leg unless the leg is fully extended. If I ever decide not to wear them, it won't be because I'm worried they'll cause me to break a leg instead of hyperextending a knee.

I've heard of this happening. I think the lkogic is that a large bone fracture will usually casue less long term damage than torn-up ligaments in the knee <_< I'm sure you could find a raging debate on any of the forums with a simple search :D

I have a pair of EVS in the closet of the trailer that could easily be for sale because I only use AXO protectors (non-braced). I make R.O. Jr. wear his Asteriks whenever we ride and he's not really happy about it because they are cumbersome :D . Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's the way it is...

Happy Trails!