Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Lake Arrowhead - Green Sticker Ride Part II !

Sorry for the late notice...

Tomorrow (Friday) is DigDugJr's birthday and he's got some new farkles to be unwrapped for his dirt bike. I'm sure he's going to want to go and try them out sometime this weekend. :unsure: Right now, I'm planning to get an early start Sunday morning and head up there and do some mountain riding where it's cool and we can spend a good portion of the day.

We're not sure which trails we're going to hit, but I'd like to hit some technical stuff if Jr is up to it. Like last time, we can tailor the ride to the riders or split up into easy/hard groups if people want to. Most of the trails have easy options for a dual-sport bike, but this area is better suited to a "plated dirtbike" type dual-sport than it is to a larger adventure bike. The trails we're more than likely going to hit are intermediate+ trails, but there are plenty of fire-roads to play on if you want to split up.

See the last SDAR Arrowhead ride here: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1196 , and the writeup here: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1241 to get an idea what you're getting into.

Currently I've got about 90% of our hall pass worked out but will keep this thread updated with updates as well as meeting times/locations/etc...

We'd love to have some of you guys tag along!!!

I think we'll ride out of the Pinnacles staging area north of Lake Arrowhead. That's the same spot as last time. There is plenty of parking and bathrooms there. If anyone wants to caravan, I was thinking of heading out early - say 6:30 from the club's favorite park and ride - Deer Springs exit off I-15 - just north of Escondido. There are 2 park and rides, let's meet at the one on the west side, so people can make a last minute run to the convenience store if necessary. I'll try and arrive by about 6:15 driving a black Silverado pickup with 2 bikes in the back (KTM and Kawasaki). It's about a 2 hour drive so that'll put us up there at about 8:30, hopefully riding by about 9:00.

If you want to meet up there, here are directions to the Pinnacles staging area:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215.

•Drive north on I-215 to SR 30.

•Go east on SR 30 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

There's nowhere close for food, so make sure you pack a lunch and bring some snacks for the trail. If we start riding around 9, this loop is close to 50 miles and could take 4-5 hours depening on skill levels involved, we get back to the trucks at 1-2 so snacks will be a good deal.

I'm into my Hall Passes pretty deep - gotta start working on my IOUs. You dug dugs have a GREAT ride!

If the Jacumba ride does not pan out, I will go. I can't ride both days. If we get someone to lead the Jacumba ride on Saturday I will ride there, if not I will ride Arrowhead on Sunday with you. It is a 2 hour drive either way for me. :unsure: Ken

Right now, I'm planning to get an early start Sunday morning and head up there and do some mountain riding where it's cool and we can spend a good portion of the day

We'd love to have some of you guys tag along!!!

Shockingly, nobody stepped up for a road trip to Mammoth to ride a few of the Sneakers Loops and take in the Festival of Beers and Bluesapalooza!?!? :unsure: :dance3: So, unless I can corrupt/influence some folks yet this morning to head up there tonight, I'll probably be around this weekend.......therefore I'm tentatively "in" for Sunday (if I stay in town).....keep me posted...

Shockingly, nobody stepped up for a road trip to Mammoth to ride a few of the Sneakers Loops and take in the Festival of Beers and Bluesapalooza!?!? :unsure: :dance3:

I was eyeing that trip and trying my best to go. That stuff looks amazing! But with my son's birthday and being unsure if his green sticker would be best up there, I figured a local ride would be better. Also, Mom wants to spend some time with her kids (me and jr) this weekend too...

It'd be great to have you along!!!

Aw nutz :unsure: A great ride posted and I have to work on Sunday :dance3:

If the Jacumba ride does not pan out, I will go. I can't ride both days. If we get someone to lead the Jacumba ride on Saturday I will ride there, if not I will ride Arrowhead on Sunday with you. It is a 2 hour drive either way for me. :dance3: Ken

I'd be great to have you along!!!

I'd do Jacumba with you, but can't ride both days either. Also, my son hasn't ridden since the beginning of July and Green Stickers wont do any good up at Jacumba.

That kid's gotta hurry up and get old enough to get his motorcycle permit :unsure:

unfortunatly the wife comes back on sunday so my weekend is gonna be clean up from being a bachelor the last two weeks. maybe next time! btw hbd to jr.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I am going to dig deep in my pockets :unsure: for the hall pass. I want to ride the hardest trails at Big Bear. Technical trails seem so easy on my new light weight bulletproof bike. :dance3:

:lol: Hooray, I got vacation time! So now I could go on this ride and ride all week up till next Saturday if I wanted to :o So you might see me along.

I'm out. Riding Jacumba Saturday morning. Looks like you will have plenty of bikes to push up the hill. Have fun up there :lol: . Ken

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKEY! Hope the Big Dig brings you some cool bling :o

Clan R-O is heading out to the ball game on Sunday, otherwise we'd consider celebrating with you. Don't roost the old man TOO much :lol:

I am going to dig deep in my pockets :lol: for the hall pass. I want to ride the hardest trails at Big Bear. Technical trails seem so easy on my new light weight bulletproof bike. :o

Keep on digging!!! You'll love it. There are all sorts of trails to hit there.

Hooray, I got vacation time! So now I could go on this ride and ride all week up till next Saturday if I wanted to So you might see me along.

Right on!!! I don't think I'll be able to ride all week, but we'd love to have you tag along on Sunday!

I'm out. Riding Jacumba Saturday morning. Looks like you will have plenty of bikes to push up the hill. Have fun up there . Ken

Jacumba sounds like a blast. Honestly, I'd love to go out there and explore with you guys, but there's no way I can get 2 passes this weekend. Have fun!!! Oh, and there will be no pushing - we're all making it up on our own power this time!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKEY! Hope the Big Dig brings you some cool bling

Clan R-O is heading out to the ball game on Sunday, otherwise we'd consider celebrating with you. Don't roost the old man TOO much

No problem... I hope we didn't scare you too much last time... :D We'll hit Big Bear a few more times. We love those trails.

By the way--- I've updated the original post with meeting time and place. Leaving the Deer Springs Park and Ride at 6:30am.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I am going to dig deep in my pockets :lol: for the hall pass. I want to ride the hardest trails at Big Bear. Technical trails seem so easy on my new light weight bulletproof bike. :o

I am out this weekend, But I got a free hall pass for next sunday. Shwinn Jon and I are thinking about doing the hardest trails on Jons old BB. roll charts.

post-465-1186203999_thumb.jpg

I am out this weekend, But I got a free hall pass for next sunday. Shwinn Jon and I are thinking about doing the hardest trails on Jons old BB. roll charts.

No problem, we'll catch you on another ride. I can imagine you wouldn't want to be stuffing your head into a helmet with that welt on it anyway. Heal up and we'll catch you next time around.

I think we'll ride out of the Pinnacles staging area north of Lake Arrowhead. That's the same spot as last time. There is plenty of parking and bathrooms there. If anyone wants to caravan, I was thinking of heading out early - say 6:30 from the club's favorite park and ride - Deer Springs exit off I-15 - just north of Escondido. There are 2 park and rides, let's meet at the one on the west side, so people can make a last minute run to the convenience store if necessary. I'll try and arrive by about 6:15 driving a black Silverado pickup with 2 bikes in the back (KTM and Kawasaki). It's about a 2 hour drive so that'll put us up there at about 8:30, hopefully riding by about 9:00.

If you want to meet up there, here are directions to the Pinnacles staging area:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215.

•Drive north on I-215 to SR 30.

•Go east on SR 30 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

See you at Deer Springs at O'Dark Thirty Sunday morning.....I'm bringing my friend Sean. Another buddy, Daryl, will be meeting us there as well....perhaps one or two more.....

See you at Deer Springs at O'Dark Thirty Sunday morning.....I'm bringing my friend Sean. Another buddy, Daryl, will be meeting us there as well....perhaps one or two more.....

Good deal - it's always more fun with a group. I'm trying to put together a technical loop for the morning and maybe an easier one for the afternoon if people want to hang around. Last time the SDAR group went up there, I had a 40 mile loop planned that got shortened by a bit due to taking a while for the hardways guys getting their bikes over the Redonda Ridge trail. I was going to add a little more roller-coaster singletrack close to Pinnacles rather than just the forest roads we did last time. We can decide when we get there, and again as the day goes on, but how difficult is everyone looking for? I'm open to just about anything - just happy to be riding!!! :D

Should be a nice day - the weather channel is calling for a high of 82! :blink:

Good deal - it's always more fun with a group. I'm trying to put together a technical loop for the morning and maybe an easier one for the afternoon if people want to hang around. Last time the SDAR group went up there, I had a 40 mile loop planned that got shortened by a bit due to taking a while for the hardways guys getting their bikes over the Redonda Ridge trail. I was going to add a little more roller-coaster singletrack close to Pinnacles rather than just the forest roads we did last time. We can decide when we get there, and again as the day goes on, but how difficult is everyone looking for?

Sounds like a good plan (Go ugly early).....Like most of the folks here (I'd imagine? :blink: ), I prefer #3's on the proposed 1-4 rating scale (#3 = get me off the fireroad and put me on a single track trail.....but I can do without 3' step ups or step downs). That being said, I'll manage to have a good time and get through whatever you wanna throw at me (us) on the scale......it may just take a while when we hit 3++......so.....well......"bring it" :D:D

All I saw from that post was:

words, words, words

"bring it" :D:blink:

Sounds like "heartattack hill" is in the loop - at least for you, me, and part of the group. :D I was already including Devil's Hole, just because, well, it's Devil's Hole and you gotta ride Devil's Hole. :D We'll get everyone through...

All I saw from that post was:

words, words, words

"bring it" :D:blink:

Sounds like "heartattack hill" is in the loop - at least for you, me, and part of the group. :D I was already including Devil's Hole, just because, well, it's Devil's Hole and you gotta ride Devil's Hole. :D We'll get everyone through...

Found this Map/loop - look familiar?

Pinnacles to Big Pine

Found this Map/loop - look familiar?

Pinnacles to Big Pine

That's a great loop!!!

Mine idea is close, but a little different. We'll start from Pinnacles and run that route in reverse direction, 3W11, 3W12, etc. following that highlighted track (against the red arrows) to Crab Flats CG. There, rest/refill water. 3W18 (highlighted) is a flat smooth forest road, so the hardways can split to 1W17 (aka Redonda Ridge, aka "heartattack hill" :blink: ) and meet by Big Pine Flat CG with those who don't want to attack it. 3N14 northwest out of the campground is street legal only, so the optional hard way won't be optional for the Green Stickies (although that map has you climbing the hard section, we'll go down it). From there it's smooth sailing to the singletrack down into Devil's Hole - which is a blast of a stream crossing and makes good photo ops.

Oh... and I just remembered. There's nowhere close for food, so make sure you pack a lunch and bring some snacks for the trail. If we start riding around 9, this loop is close to 50 miles and could take 4-5 hours depening on skill levels involved, we get back to the trucks at 1-2 so snacks will be a good deal.

Is it going to be a repeat of Arrowhead #1...did we do both hard section on that map, if not, are they harder?

papa

Is it going to be a repeat of Arrowhead #1...did we do both hard section on that map, if not, are they harder?

papa

Some of the same trails... It depends what people are up to. I've got no real agenda, and there are plenty of bypasses if we want to take it easier. In my opinion, Redonda Ridge (the hardway we did on the split last time) is the toughest in that area of the mountain - if you did it, you can pretty much handle it all.

White Mountain (the optional hard way in the upper right corner of that map) is a little rocky (at least it was 2 years ago when I rode it), but we'll be going down the hardest section so it shouldn't be too bad(I don't remember it being as hard as the section we did last time). We skipped that section last time since it took us so long to get over Redonda Ridge.

Then again, there are bypasses for both of those routes...

Alrighty!!! I'm loaded and ready to roll in the morning. See everyone at the Deer Spring Park-n-Ride tomorrow between 6:15 and 6:30. Give me a call if you're running a little late and want us to wait. My cell is 760-579-3184.

I'm ready to get dirty!!!! B)