DigDug

26 May 07 - Lake Arrowhead / Big Bear

This Saturday, 26 May 07, I'm heading up to Lake Arrowhead with my son on his green sticker bike. I know this is a dualsport board, but I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind a little roller-coaster like single track :lol:

The plan is to meet at the Deer Springs / I-15 Park and Ride (the one on the west side of the freeway, in front of the ARCO station - not the one on the east side) at 6:45am. I'll be driving the black diesel Silverado with the 450EXC and the KLX300R in the back. We'll roll out of there at 7:00am for a 2 hour haul to the Pinnacles staging area north of Lake Arrowhead. Post up if you need directions to the P&R. We'll ride a few of the easy and moderate loops right there to warm up. Go back to the trucks for a quick lunch then head out for a longer afternoon ride - Either mild or wild depending on how we all feel (We've ridden some really cool trails up there).

There are trails for all levels of riders - from easy fast forest roads, to the hardcore single-track. Most of the trails we like to ride are comparable to the Kernan Cycle trail between Pine Valley and Corral Canyon - the second, less rocky section that goes up the hill to the Four Corners area.

The weather channel says it's going to be 75 degrees and sunny - bring some sunscreen!!!

You'll also need a National Forest Adventure Pass to park at Pinnacles. Available here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/ , or better yet you can pick one up at many of the sporting goods stores in the San Diego area. This page lists them for your town: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/vendors.php .

Bring a gas can with gas for your bike to fill up at luchtime.

Also bring a lunch for halftime.

Directions to Pinnacles Staging area(I found these somewhere on the internet, and they work pretty well):

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215.

•Drive north on I-215 to SR 30.

•Go east on SR 30 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

So far the following are in:

DigDug

DigDug Jr

KTMrad

Joliet

rex everything

papaalex

Ride-Orange

Ride-Orange Jr

dirt dame (maybe)

Brett

Anyone else?

Had a blast last time. I am sorry I will miss this one. Maybe next time. Thanks for posting it.

Had a blast last time. I am sorry I will miss this one. Maybe next time. Thanks for posting it.

Hey bum, no problem... With summer coming up, we like to get up in the mountains and away from the heat of the desert OHV areas. We'll be up there a few more times for sure - catch you next time around.

For the rest, here are few previews from one of our trips:

Trails like this:

arrowheadpreview01bi6.jpg

Lots of trails like this:

arrowheadpreview02pe6.jpg

Hopefully there won't be too much of this:

arrowheadpreview03bc2.jpg

For those that want hardcore trails, we can hit some stuff like this (It's a bit easier than it looks, there's a pretty good line around the rough stuff):

arrowheadpreview04ev5.jpg

I've ridden all these trails on my XR650L(although there was a bit more pushing/sweating/etc involved), but they're a whole lot more fun, and quite a bit less tiring on a smaller/lighter bike...

:lol:

Hmmmm.....are you going up just for the day ?? I was supposed to be in Florida for work and then to visit a friend over Memorial Day weekend, but job was cancelled at last minute, so I need to make other plans. I'm thinking about this....maybe for more than one day. Will let you know.

Also, I prefer the more difficult, technical trails for sure.

Hmmmm.....are you going up just for the day ?? I was supposed to be in Florida for work and then to visit a friend over Memorial Day weekend, but job was cancelled at last minute, so I need to make other plans. I'm thinking about this....maybe for more than one day. Will let you know.

Also, I prefer the more difficult, technical trails for sure.

We were planning on just the day... My wife is out of town so my son and I are babysitting the pets. They're fine for the day while we're away, but we have to get home in the evening.

We do have a few overnighters in the works for the summer, probably taking the toyhauler up to Big Pine Flat CG.

We'd love for you to tag along - my son has been off his bike for a month or so, and I'm sure he's itching to do some rock climbing as am I . We'll try our best not to hold anyone up! :D

I might be up for some altitude riding. Some of those rocky sections look right up my alley. I will have to see what the wife has got cooked up for this weekend. Pencil me in for a definate maybe :D . I don't think I will bring a lunch, I am still full from all that KTM roost I ate last time we rode :P:D Ken

I might be up for some altitude riding. Some of those rocky sections look right up my alley. I will have to see what the wife has got cooked up for this weekend. Pencil me in for a definate maybe :D . I don't think I will bring a lunch, I am still full from all that KTM roost I ate last time we rode :P:D Ken

GREAT!!! the more the better!!! As far as eating KTM roost, I thought you were in front of me most of the Hixon/Allesandro ride.

Rocky sections eh? Here's a little more eye candy:

bbhardcore01ih0.jpg

A little more rocky:

bbhardcore02bu7.jpg

Even more rocky:

bbhardcore03ds6.jpg

Rocks and water:

bbhardcore04gf9.jpg

More water:

bbhardcore05yl1.jpg

Not many rocks, but fun singletrack nontheless:

bbfun01lm2.jpg

I'll add updates/schedules/etc to the original post. Be sure to check back there once in a while.

Looking forward to riding with you guys out there!!!

I'm 90% sure that Metal Twister and I will be teaming-up to meet you at the I-15 rally point :boredom: I'll post a confirmation tomorrow :pioneer_smoke:

I will meet you guys at the I-15 and Deer Springs Rd. park and ride next to the ARCO station at 6:30. Is this good for everyone? There is also a park and ride across the freeway from the ARCO, but if someone want a beverage or snack for the road the one next to the ARCO would be handier. If things work out I will be riding with a new member "rex everything" in his truck. If things don't work out with "rex everytinng's truck, I may have to leave earlier with my trailer to get up there the same time as you guys. Probably won't know for sure until Friday. I also have an extra adventure pass for the day to whoever calls dibbs on it first. :crazy: Ken

I will meet you guys at the I-15 and Deer Springs Rd. park and ride next to the ARCO station at 6:30. Is this good for everyone? I also have an extra adventure pass for the day to whoever calls dibbs on it first. :D Ken

Team Orange is in! I'm bringing Mrs. R-O and baby R-O, along with R-O Jr. and the Metal Twister. The girls will go shopping while we ride.

I hate to impose, but we'll be coming from the far east county :crazy: . Is there any chance that you guys would be willing to wait until 07:00 to depart the rally point at I-15? If not that's cool, we'll put the Edge chip on the big diesel in "Race" mode and catch-up along the way. :bomb:

Hmmmm. Maybe. I'll know as it gets closer by friday, last minute decision. :crazy:

I will meet you guys at the I-15 and Deer Springs Rd. park and ride next to the ARCO station at 6:30. Is this good for everyone? There is also a park and ride across the freeway from the ARCO, but if someone want a beverage or snack for the road the one next to the ARCO would be handier. If things work out I will be riding with a new member "rex everything" in his truck. If things don't work out with "rex everytinng's truck, I may have to leave earlier with my trailer to get up there the same time as you guys. Probably won't know for sure until Friday. I also have an extra adventure pass for the day to whoever calls dibbs on it first. :crazy: Ken

Sounds like a good meeting spot to me... I'll update the original post to reflect...

I plan on doing this ride. Do we get to do black diamonds with easy options?

Alex

I've got a couple green circle and blue square trails for a the morning warm-up in mind... Plenty of that kind of stuff to play around on before lunch. After lunch, if everyone's up for some more technical stuff, I've got a 45 mile loop that I've been wanting to put together. I've ridden all the trails involved (on my XR650L - but will be on the KTM this time around :bomb: ) but never all in one ride. It'd give everyone a good sampling of what's up there. There are easy options for the two hardest trails with good rally points after them. I'd like to do the trail that drops us off into "Devil's Hole" but that means we have to cross "Devils Hole" - a stream crossing. Fortunately, we can take a look at the crossing from the easy side and see if everyone's up to it before we go all the way around.

If you can ride the Kernan Cycle trail all the way from Pine Valley through to 4-Corners (Corral Canyon), you should have no trouble on this loop I'm planning - we'll be going the easy direction on both of the hard sections.

If you're looking at a map, my loop is from the Pinnacles staging area - follow road 3N34 to deep creek (green circle with a couple blue square sections). At deep creek continue on 3N34 up Dispan Springs (this section is black diamond - with no real bypasses, but good lines if you're on a bike - not so easy in a 4-wheeled vehicle). Near the Crab Flats campground I'd like to pick up 1W17 (Redonda Ridge trail - one of my favorite black diamond trails up there - but 3N16 makes a great fire-road bypass for the bigger bikes). 1W17 becomes blue square and dead ends into 3N11 which leads us up to an overlook (the same one we stopped at 2 weeks ago). From there left on 3N17 down White Mountain (rocky black diamond trail - but the bypassers can backtrack a mile or two and roll up 3N14). From the bottom of White Mountain, we pick up 4N16, right on 3N14, and 3N59 (all easy green circle trails) to the start of the real single-track. 2W12 is true single-track, not wide enough for quads. It's mostly easy (not many rocks) but narrow. The hard part comes at Devil's Hole. Look at the pictures I posted of my son in the water. Unfortunately, there's no bypass for the stream crossing - you'd have to backtrack a ways. Fortunately, we'll swing by the crossing on our morning ride and get eyes on to see if we really want to attempt it... If I can get the BRP across, by myself, I know we can get everyone across as a group...

If you're not looking at a map, ignore that whole paragraph and follow DigDug Jr... He knows the way... :D

Of course, I'm just happy to be out there riding - so I'm open to suggestions too...

Thanks DD, sounds good too me now :D Papa is in :crazy:

Alex.

Alex, your bike is so light now you can just pick it up and carry it through rough places and over water crossings :bomb: :D Ken

I hate to hijack but what is the best way to load 2 DRZ's in the back of a Ford Ranger? I have no experience with this. Please PM me so as not to clutter up this post. Thanks, Ken

:crazy: hmmmm, I'd like to see these trails too, but like on the Otay ride posting, I am not sure of my work schedule this weekend. And if it's all green sticker, I might bring a green sticker bike along, like my little crf 150 :bomb: It can be a hoot to ride and it's lonesome since I have been paying all my attention to the TE lately. Anyway, if I can, I'll be there at Deersprings by 7 a.m. with something two wheeled tied to the baack of my jeep :D

:crazy: hmmmm, I'd like to see these trails too, but like on the Otay ride posting, I am not sure of my work schedule this weekend. And if it's all green sticker, I might bring a green sticker bike along, like my little crf 150 :bomb: It can be a hoot to ride and it's lonesome since I have been paying all my attention to the TE lately. Anyway, if I can, I'll be there at Deersprings by 7 a.m. with something two wheeled tied to the baack of my jeep :D

It'd be good to have you along!!! If we ride the loop I'm jonesing to, it's all green-sticker with the exception of the bypass around the White Mountain trail - which should be piece of cake on a little bike...

We'll watch for you at the Park-n-ride...

The plan is to meet at the Deer Springs / I-15 Park and Ride (the one on the west side of the freeway, in front of the ARCO station - not the one on the east side) at 6:45am. I'll be driving the black diesel Silverado with the 450EXC and the KLX300R in the back. We'll roll out of there at 7:00am for a 2 hour haul to the Pinnacles staging area north of Lake Arrowhead.

Thanks for accomodating me and our humble contingent of the ride team :bomb: See you no later than 07:00 :crazy:

Thanks for accomodating me and our humble contingent of the ride team :D See you no later than 07:00 ;)

Actually, I was looking forward to the extra 1/2 hour of sleep... :D:P

No problem at all.

On another note, Ride-Orange's PM reminded of something I wanted to mention. This shouldn't be an issue since we're all good - but Pinnacles is the ONLY staging area I've ever had a Park Service Ranger check my bikes. Make sure everyone is good with registration, spark-arrestor, sound, etc... The time we were checked it was a quick "let me see your registration", stuck a stick up my exhaust :unsure: , and "be careful out there".

DigDug, so how much of this ride is actually difficult, technical, black diamond trails ??

If I go, and want to do more difficult trails, are there options I can take and meet back up with you guys on your trails ? If yes, anyone want to do more of the difficult trails ?

On another note, Ride-Orange's PM reminded of something I wanted to mention. This shouldn't be an issue since we're all good - but Pinnacles is the ONLY staging area I've ever had a Park Service Ranger check my bikes. Make sure everyone is good with registration, spark-arrestor, sound, etc... The time we were checked it was a quick "let me see your registration", stuck a stick up my exhaust :unsure: , and "be careful out there".

This from the forrest service website.

OHV Volunteers conduct free sound tests twice a month

The San Bernardino National Forest Association OHV Volunteers conduct free awareness sound checks at the Pinnacles staging area, from 10AM to 3PM every 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month

Not saying you won't be checked anytime. Ken

DigDug, so how much of this ride is actually difficult, technical, black diamond trails ??

If I go, and want to do more difficult trails, are there options I can take and meet back up with you guys on your trails ? If yes, anyone want to do more of the difficult trails ?

Quit pining (pun intended) for excuses not to go, and come along! :unsure: You're our fearless leader for cryin' out loud. We need you to LEAD us to the double black diamond trails ;)

Hey, not all of us are good enough for "black diamond" trails, why I saw a guy break his leg once just trying to climb a little sand hill :unsure:;) . Not that there is anything funny about a broken leg. I would also like to do some of the harder stuff up there early while it is still cooler and I am not so tired. I am in such poor shape, after a couple of hours of riding hard, I get sloppy and can't controll my bike as well in the technical stuff. :D Ken